Disapearing Headphone Socket

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 2 2006 at 03:08 PM said:
Ironically enough, I just opened up my 2x and soldered the contact due to problems. All is well now (no big task).

good to know. so it's most likely bad soldering, and not an inferior part (like the joystick)?

Last edited by a moderator:
kingconga42 posted on Mar 2 2006 at 01:44 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 2 2006 at 03:08 PM said:
Ironically enough, I just opened up my 2x and soldered the contact due to problems. All is well now (no big task).

good to know. so it's most likely bad soldering, and not an inferior part (like the joystick)?

it's a common problem with a lot of devices...usually headphone jacks are soldered straight to the board, so that they're sticking out past the board (obviously) and the only thing structurally that's keeping them there is solder. the gp2x shell keeps the jack from going left or right, but as far as in and out (where all the pressure is applied), there's a fair chance the solder could break off after enough pushing.

Fez posted on Dec 21 2005 at 10:29 AM said:
Dont play the GP2x while the socket is rattling around inside!! That is fraught with danger. Given its all surface mount technology one small blob of solder from that headphone socket may short something out inside. It sould do anything from damaging the memory to preventing your GP2x from turning on.

I have also found the headphone jack isnt the greatest. I was sitting in a quite train with my personal headphones blasting my music in my ears, when i took my headphones out to also find it was blasting away out of the speakers as well. Highly embrassing.

Ditto. Felt pretty sorry for the passengers around me, seeing as the music I listen to isn't the most... sedate shall we say? :p

MakavelianKode posted on Mar 2 2006 at 02:50 PM said:
I seriously can't unscrew these screws and I'm afraid of stripping them.
They are a pain in the motherfucking ass. I FINALLY found a computer screwdriver that fit after trying at least 12 different sizes. good luck.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 2 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
They are a pain in the motherfucking ass. I FINALLY found a computer screwdriver that fit after trying at least 12 different sizes. good luck.
Do you have a link or something to the one you used 'cause I've tried like 3 different screwdrivers so far myself. The one I've had the most luck with so far is the eyeglass repair kit screwdriver. With it, I got one screw out.... Those other 3 are really in there though. :(

You must find a good flat cruciform screwdriver wich fit exactly Gp2X's screws.
It's a slight smallest one than the usual Pc screwdriver and less pointed as it use to be.
I'm not a screwdriver technician so I don't have any idea of the reference... Anyone !?

virusx posted on Mar 3 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
You must find a good flat cruciform screwdriver wich fit exactly Gp2X's screws.
It's a slight smallest one than the usual Pc screwdriver and less pointed as it use to be.
I'm not a screwdriver technician so I don't have any idea of the reference... Anyone !?
Huh? Did you just say I need to find a screwdriver that fits the gp2x's screws??

MakavelianKode posted on Mar 3 2006 at 03:35 PM said:
Huh? Did you just say I need to find a screwdriver that fits the gp2x's screws??
The short answer is "Yes ! I told you that". But I have added some words behind that...
(I know that makes the thing more complicated <_< )

I did not say that there's a specific Gp2X cruciform screwdriver, no.

MakavelianKode posted on Mar 3 2006 at 07:45 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 2 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
Do you have a link or something to the one you used 'cause I've tried like 3 different screwdrivers so far myself. The one I've had the most luck with so far is the eyeglass repair kit screwdriver. With it, I got one screw out.... Those other 3 are really in there though. :(
nope, sorry. It was my skool's computer teacher's tool pack with no name brand on it.

In addition, if you want to open your Gp2X, you'll have to push very firmly the screwdriver and maintain (firmly too) your unit in your hand for each screw in the begining.

I took up the broken jack part from my unit (beware of the power button and the shoulder buttons when replacing the screws, I had to re-open it for this reason).

I got a soldering question : What is the best W and/or °C for this type of soldering (the earphone jack )?

Just soldered mine, only 4 places and not much to hit around them if you miss, way easier than chipping an xbox.

They started off fine, then after a days use I started getting sound coming out of the loudspeakers when the headphones were still plugged in, then no sound through the headohones at all and then the unit fell into the GP2X. There are 2 little locator pins so it is easy to get it lined up in the right place for resoldering.

If I wasn't in Oz I probably would have sent it back to GBAX under warranty but it seemed like too much hassle, easy enough to fix anyway. Probably voided the warranty anyway when I opened it up to sort the joystick out.

Good luck with it anyway

Today, i managed to repair my earphone jack.
I took a good electric screwdriver

screwdriver.jpg

With this type of screwdriver, it's easy to open your Gp2X !

Then I managed to open the little beast

open1.jpg

As you can see, the earphone jack was missing (and from an advice on this forum, I took it away from the Gp2X :D )

I bought a nice electronic soldering iron and putted the earphone jack back to his place.
Look at the 4 places where it should be soldered.

earphone1.jpg

I add some more solder (Now, I know why my jack has been broken ! Is solder so expensive ?)

repair.jpg

Then... Here you go ! The loudspeakers cut themselves when you plug your earphones.
It's not so hard to do but you have to get the good tools (screwdriver, soldering iron...)

It's a Metabo thing, I bought it in France. In a tools shop.
You've got many size of "screwdriver tip" wich come with it.
With that, any screw is easy to take off !
It's a bit expensive but not too much. I mean : a good pack of good screwdrivers with all sizes is expensive too.

http://www.metabo.com/International_Homepa....0.html?&L=2786
But many other brands are making things like that.

To virusx:
I have problem that sound is very easily interrupted with moving of headphone jack so I have to find right position of jack very often. Will resoldering help correct this? Or this problem is because of crappy jack socket itself?

@Eso Rimmer:
Well, it could be both I think...
Try another earphone in order to test that out.
It could be the socket itself or, perhaps, the "distance" between the plastic case and the socket.
I break it the first time I tried to plug my earphone, so I don't know if the Gp2X came with this problem.
If you're not afraid of soldering it, then do it ! The more solder you put, the better it will be.
Since I've done it, I had no problem.

My headphone jack lasted quite a while, but i resoldered it today while i had the 2x apart to remove the joystick. On mine, the plastic locator "pins" werent even in the holes. Whoever did the hand soldering on the first batch of gp2xs needs to be beaten with a dead skunk :D I reflowed a few other cold looking hand solder joints while i was in there. It seem the circuit board is actually fairly decent, just the hand soldered stuff was.... bad.

Back