Disapearing Headphone Socket

saboteur

WTF - my headphone socket just dissappeared into my GP2X.

My personal jukebox now rattles as well as playing MP3's. :)

Should I send it back or fix it myself - It's a first edition so I don't particularly want to send it back and get a later version back. Anybody got any experiences of returning faulty units??

As a complete aside, my brother got his GP2X last week and having compared the two ( my First Edition to his Normal GP2X ) his has a much brighter screen and the joystick is muuuuucccchhhh better. :)

I too got a "non-first edition" GP2X after I returned my "first-edition" one to Craig due to the HP jack falling into the unit.

I too must say that the new one looks and feel better built, and yes, the joystick and the LCD (but that could be due to the FW) is much better...

What is better about the joystick? Does it feel the same but give better response for up down left and right? Is is still biased to the diagonals?

barnesy posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:50 AM said:
What is better about the joystick? Does it feel the same but give better response for up down left and right? Is is still biased to the diagonals?

Well, to me it felt a lot more crisp and responsive than my first edition model. Playing some of the pixel perfect games under frodo was much better. And it didn't seem to have such a large deadspot. Of course this is all subjective. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont play the GP2x while the socket is rattling around inside!! That is fraught with danger. Given its all surface mount technology one small blob of solder from that headphone socket may short something out inside. It sould do anything from damaging the memory to preventing your GP2x from turning on.

I have also found the headphone jack isnt the greatest. I was sitting in a quite train with my personal headphones blasting my music in my ears, when i took my headphones out to also find it was blasting away out of the speakers as well. Highly embrassing.

weirdocollector posted on Dec 21 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
I too got a "non-first edition" GP2X after I returned my "first-edition" one to Craig due to the HP jack falling into the unit.

I too must say that the new one looks and feel better built, and yes, the joystick and the LCD (but that could be due to the FW) is much better...

Hi

Just to confirm so the GP2X you have now does not actully say 'first edition' on it. I thought the consoles shipping now were actully 'first editions' but just with the latest firmware?

Thanks

weirdocollector posted on Dec 21 2005 at 11:07 AM said:

Could you post some pictures of your non-first gp2x?

Huh? Same thing happened to me, I emailed and got a response saying they would replace it. Then when I'd sent my GP2X back, I got another email upon receipt saying it would be repaired. I queried this and was told that they only replace units that can't be fixed...

I'll guess I'll have to wait until the parcel comes to find out which is the case, but this seems a bit unfair. :(

suj posted on Dec 21 2005 at 02:04 PM said:
weirdocollector posted on Dec 21 2005 at 10:07 AM said:

Hi

Just to confirm so the GP2X you have now does not actully say 'first edition' on it. I thought the consoles shipping now were actully 'first editions' but just with the latest firmware?

Thanks

No 'first-edition' on my new GP2X, only the GP2X logo; everything else is just the same (with the exception of the better things I described...)

Fez posted on Dec 21 2005 at 10:29 AM said:
Dont play the GP2x while the socket is rattling around inside!! That is fraught with danger. Given its all surface mount technology one small blob of solder from that headphone socket may short something out inside. It sould do anything from damaging the memory to preventing your GP2x from turning on.

I have also found the headphone jack isnt the greatest. I was sitting in a quite train with my personal headphones blasting my music in my ears, when i took my headphones out to also find it was blasting away out of the speakers as well. Highly embrassing.

im pretty sure the speakers get turned off when you plug in headphone jacks

saboteur posted on Dec 21 2005 at 12:09 PM said:
Well, to me it felt a lot more crisp and responsive than my first edition model. Playing some of the pixel perfect games under frodo was much better. And it didn't seem to have such a large deadspot. Of course this is all subjective. :D

Must be, cause I opened a new unit and the stick is exactly the same ;)

Last edited:
i think GBAX might have fixed the joysticks before shipping theirs out?

when mine arrived i had a 5 minute play around with it and i didnt see any problems with the joystick..though i never had to do anything with diagonals

For those of you who have never soldered before and are afraid to solder, I found this site with video instructions:

http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/elab/soldering.htm

It turns out that my headphone socket completely broke and fell into the unit. I could hear it rattling inside. I hated the thought of returning it for repairs or a replacement but was at the same time afraid of soldering since I had never done it before. :(

Once I saw the mini videos on the site above, I overcame my fear, bought a soldering kit from Walmart and managed to pull it off without breaking my GP2X. In short, I was able to fix it and restore my headphone jack.

The instructions on this post really helped as well:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=ST&f=48&t=24004

Hope this information helps others as well!

Manny

Hmm... I just sent mine back and got it repaired when the jack went awol - sure it took a couple of weeks, but that's what a warrantee is for!

Not so much that I'm scared of soldering as that I'd rather it was done by GBAX since then I know I'm not at fault if it falls off *again*. That said, if you ordered from outside your country, soldering route might be sensible. Just be aware that if you break your 2x, it's on your own head...

My GP2X has a rattling, I have never tried the headphone socket though.

I sent my GP2x to gbax to have the headphone socket re-soldered. I recieved an email a few days later from them saying they recieved my GP2x, had repaired it, and sent it back to me. That was on the 14th.

Man, the United States Postal Service sux. I've had two packages arrive in under four days each from FedEx and UPS respectively since I mailed off my GP2x.

Paradox posted on Dec 21 2005 at 02:21 PM said:
Fez posted on Dec 21 2005 at 10:29 AM said:

im pretty sure the speakers get turned off when you plug in headphone jacks

Mine is the same way sometimes. I have to get the headphone jack in just the right position for it to go thru the headphones. and sometimes it will play thru both phones and speakers. Wasn't there something in the new firmware that is supposed to correct this? (i still have 1.2) Of course, it sounds like there's sloppy soldering going on too, i doubt the firmware could fix that. =p

Back