Video Is Playing Horribly Bad

Xanas

Still Fresh
The quality is very good and everything else is faster than the GP2x, but the video playing is very very bad on the unit my brother purchased.

The sound plays, but the video is practically non-moving 30% of the time and only plays a few fps here and there randomly.

I don't see any posts thus far referring to the video, and it doesn't appear to be the diagonal refresh causing the issue. I know it's certainly capable of playback since the gp2x was, but the software seems to have an issue.

This is a retail unit using the firmware 1.0.0

Thanks for the link Shorty I didn't know you had to convert the files.

Matwiz posted on May 21 2009 at 04:22 AM said:
Thanks for the link Shorty I didn't know you had to convert the files.
Not a problem, I hope it works out for the TS as well ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to convert them but the Wiz does the video decompression entirely with software I think. That means if you are trying to play videos at stupidly high resolutions and bitrates then the Wiz has more decoding work to do and then has to scale it all down as well. It may be however that the build in media player isn't particularly optimized so who knows what other ones may be released in the future?

Ehh, It's true that I didn't rescale these but these same videos worked just fine on the GP2x, is this still the problem?

(And by that I mean I literally had the same SD Card with the same exact videos working before I swapped the card into this device).

Well.... I guess that rescaling issue was it. Badak works fine in wine since I didn't want to hunt for the proper video settings to use mencoder by command line myself, so thanks for the recommendation of it.

Still not sure why it doesn't play what gp2x would but oh well.

notaz posted on May 21 2009 at 02:26 PM) F100/F200 has dedicated video decoding hardware (it uses SoC designed for DVD players and such said:
, Wiz does not.
But can't they utilize the 3d chip the Wiz for that, so that video playback becomes better?

Regards

André

fettouhi posted on May 21 2009 at 06:15 AM) [quote="notaz posted on May 21 2009 at 02:26 PM said:
F100/F200 has dedicated video decoding hardware (it uses SoC designed for DVD players and such"], Wiz does not.
But can't they utilize the 3d chip the Wiz for that, so that video playback becomes better?

Regards

André[/quote]Could, I do believe, but the firmware isn't developed enough for that.

Badak is not working for me. Is it simply a matter of loading a movie file and clicking start?

I wonder if they even use the YUV hardware or not. I would guess not, it is probably doing the conversion in software.

Orkie posted on May 21 2009 at 04:04 PM said:
I wonder if they even use the YUV hardware or not. I would guess not, it is probably doing the conversion in software.
Isn't that a bit silly, if they don't utilize the hardware at all? Then why offer video playback at all on this device? I'm just looking at this from 2009 perspective.

Regards

André

I don't think the 3D hardware could help at all for video playback. I think the video playback module for GP2X was provided by MES since it was using a completely proprietary chip that wasn't detailed in the databook. If MES didn't do video playback software for the Pollux then I don't have very high expectations for GPH or a company they've contracted to do a top notch job.

Hi all,

I'm reading about this wiz since i heard about it (november 2008) and I was about to buy one, but this video playback issue makes me wonder if it's really what i'm looking for :-(.

I was looking for a small device with emulation capabilities (especially snes) but also able to play my divx movies and tv shows without reencoding. Maybe the dingoo A320 is better for me ? I know the wiz will eventually be better for the emulation part, but i'll probably play videos half of the time.

but also able to play my divx movies and tv shows without reencoding. Maybe the dingoo A320 is better for me ? I know the wiz will eventually be better for the emulation part, but i'll probably play videos half of the time.
Well I am almost sure someone would make a lot better video player for the Wiz :)

This video has frameskips on Wiz. every 2-3 seconds for a 1 second. Really bad:
VIDEO: [DIV3] 352x288 24bpp 25.000 fps 933.8 kbps (114.0 kbyte/s)
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)

But this one plays smooth:
VIDEO: [DIVX] 352x240 24bpp 29.970 fps 662.0 kbps (80.8 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 96.0 kbit/6.80% (ratio: 12000->176400)

And this one looks like smooth too:
VIDEO: [DIV3] 320x240 24bpp 29.970 fps 519.9 kbps (63.5 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 96.0 kbit/6.80% (ratio: 12000->176400)

Looks like prescaling slows down things a lot

Could be the frame rate too. I'm actually ashamed to admit that I never bothered to find out what the default framerate of the Wiz is, I just hoped it'd be 60Hz. If it is then 29.970 fits pretty nicely, while 25 doesn't and it might not be doing a good job at dealing with it. Do you have any 25fps at 320x240 or ~30fps at > 320x240?

320x240 with 25fps plays smoothly

Thats also annoying it displays only files with avi extension.
Just renamed 352x288 29.970fps mpeg-1 file. A little slowdown. And also bad scaling - grey bars on the right and bottom.
Tried also 640x480 mpeg-2 file 29.970: got only sound and garbled image.

Wiz's video player definitely should be improved, otherwise excluded from the menu :)

Back