Steven Colbert Rips On The President

It is one thing to hate a government of the day but to brand all politicians are corrupt is both immature and foolish to the extreme.

That doesn't read as being very civil to me ... in fact, calling someone immature and foolish is a flame, but I'l let it go.

You cannot make broad statements like that about an entire political organization .

Their are alot of good eggs out there .
^^ post #15 ... This is civil :)

TelcoLou posted on May 5 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
Don't call me foolish or immature. Disagree with me if you wish, but keep it civil.
Sir, I did not mean to call you foolish. I am calling that attitude that you hold foolish and that is a civil way of putting it. I apologise for the offense caused. More to the point, your arguement is fallacious and confusing. The burden of proof is on you to prove your point as you are the accuser. Before making incredibly huge blanket statements prove that a majority of politicians are corrupt in some way, more than that of an average member of the public.. It is also again not advisable to hate the western political system and to have no idea of how to reform it. Constructive criticsm is the key.

Here is a list of every MP currently employed in this country. Find some proof of sleaze or corruption on lets say um... Dean, Mrs Janet (Lab)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your trust in these honest, un-corruptable polititicians bolsters your postition. Therefore, you don't need to prove to me that there's good eggs in the basket.

My mistrust of these elected officials stems from witnessing it first-hand at the lowest level; grounds improvement funds/contracts given to superintendants who grease the palms of their local assemblymen ... (I used to work for the NYC ... erm, something ... in some capacity which I can't divulge)

I wasn't around when the first settlers decided on a govt. led by representation, and I'm of the belief that I can and WILL govern my own actions.

• I respect people, unless they disprepect me or my family first
• I harm no one, unless they harm me or my family first
• I do whatever the fuck I want, as long as it doesn't go against the first 2 bullets

^ If everyone followed these guidelines, we'd have no need for Big Brother to keep us kids in line.

YES, I'm being idealistic but it's my brain and that's how I feel.

In conclusion, you were right, and I was wrong and I'm very sorry and won't bring it up again.

TelcoLou posted on May 6 2006 at 12:06 AM said:
• I do whatever the fuck I want, as long as it doesn't go against the first 2 bullets

^ If everyone followed these guidelines, we'd have no need for Big Brother to keep us kids in line.

In conclusion, you were right, and I was wrong and I'm very sorry and won't bring it up again.
Nobody would be able to live like that - greed, corruption, all human nature. That is why we have laws and a government. Because the people cannot govern themselves.

p.s. Nice bulleted list.

All politicians are corrupt. Or at least corruptible.
They all do 'deals' to get their own agenda heard.
They all toe the party line.

This is what politics is all about. They call it discussion, diplomacy, etc.
I'm sure that most of them go into it with with the best intentions,
but then they find they need to do a little backscratching to get their voices heard.

The best system I heard of for a reform of the current system was to make it more like jury duty.
You are chosen to be part of the decision making process.
There are no elections as everyone is eligible to be chosen.

The next best thing I heard about politicians was .. nominating yourself to be one automatically disqualified you as being unsuitable to be one.

I also think there should be a lower age limit on being elected.
What I hate most is the career politician. The ones who think they know without experience...
Did politics at college, was a research assistant, was a councillor, became a politician.
They should go and do a real job (successfully!) before trying to tell everyone else how to live.
Being able to network is not a good background.
And the amount of lawyers that go into politics?
Where is the cross-sectional representation in that?

Umm - end of rant :unsure:

Ew! One more thing .. teeny weeny John Prescott? ..
icon8.gif
.. Urgh!

TelcoLou posted on May 5 2006 at 11:21 PM said:
I see no one has provided me with ONE example of an honest politician.

Guy Verhofstadt :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on May 4 2006 at 11:45 AM said:
SEE?!?!?! They DO take offense! :p

I've just read this you cheeky little whippersnapper. Don't go there, you're way out of your league young man. :)

Rico posted on May 6 2006 at 06:11 AM said:

Nobody would be able to live like that - greed, corruption, all human nature. That is why we have laws and a government. Because the people cannot govern themselves.

p.s. Nice bulleted list.

I'm sorry for this horrible comment but...

That list sounds awfully like the 3 Laws of Robotics....

Shikaku posted on May 8 2006 at 06:24 PM said:
Rico posted on May 6 2006 at 06:11 AM said:

p.s. Nice bulleted list.

I'm sorry for this horrible comment but...

That list sounds awfully like the 3 Laws of Robotics....

Not at all alike:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

.. I have a real problem following orders. <_<

Back