Steam's Linux Future. A Smart Move?

Portal 2 is the only game in Valve's back catalog that hasn't been ported to linux yet.. I figure they're going to use it as a lure for steam OS.

not going to happen, their userbase is firstly PC...
You can run SteamOS on PC, so if they can make the multiboot install process super easy then it might well happen IMHO.

HL3 exclusive to steam OS for 6 months would probably see a fair number of people giving it a whirl.
 Not going to happen. They would have announced it otherwise.
Errr, HL3 has not been announced yet, my guess is that when it is announced it will come first to SteamOS.

Portal 2 is the only game in Valve's back catalog that hasn't been ported to linux yet.. I figure they're going to use it as a lure for steam OS.
Why would it be used as a lure since it's been out on all other consoles and machines already ?? I don't understand your point. If someone really wanted to play it, they'd have already played it ten times by now.

Errr, HL3 has not been announced yet, my guess is that when it is announced it will come first to SteamOS.
Steam is pushing for multi format support. They would have no reason to make an exception suddenly just because of one game. It wouldn't make sense with their strategy.

Why would it be used as a lure since it's been out on all other consoles and machines already ?? I don't understand your point. If someone really wanted to play it, they'd have already played it ten times by now.
The same reason I play Valve's older games on Linux vs Windows were they first came out?

Steam is pushing for multi format support. They would have no reason to make an exception suddenly just because of one game. It wouldn't make sense with their strategy.
He's not suggesting a permanent exclusive, just a temporary thing to encourage SteamOS adoption. Even 1 day is all it would take: they announce that it will be released on some Saturday at midnight for SteamOS and then on Windows, Linux, and Mac 24 hours later on Sunday and the number of people that will immediately install the dualboot will be staggering. They give people months of warning and hype so they have a chance to install and test it to make sure they'll be able to play HL3 the day of release, meanwhile they're growing accustomed to the interface and the available library and maybe they can just stay here for a while?It'd actually be a brilliant strategy.

I think it's brilliant.  All the big players, Sony, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft are trying like mad to be THE home theater computer.

Linux has been there ready to go via things like Medibuntu for 5+ years.

For Valve to leverage Linux to make it's own HTPC, all it really needed to do is port it's games to Linux and provide a consistent controller experience.

I -like- the concept of concentric touch pads.  I've suggested it multiple times through the 5 years of the Pandora project as an alternative to using nubs.  I would love to have one of the beta wired controllers without the touchscreen, but don't want to commit to a beta program right now - and Valve has some weird social prerequisites for their beta testers.

Here's the kicker.  Valve's move could potentially put more Linux PC boxes in more homes in a shorter time than any other single Linux initiative to date.  Will it dent Windows?  Mmm...  over a long long time span, maybe.  People fear change and are unlikely to replace their desktop machines.  However, people tend to embrace 'new' and adding another game console - that just happens to have a Linux install that they can discover additional uses for - that they might do.

We'll see, the fact that SteamOS will run on any PC that runs Steam games would make it a viable proposition IMHO. If their strategy was to get a large number of people to try SteamOS then this would be a good move IMHO.

However, people tend to embrace 'new' and adding another game console - that just happens to have a Linux install that they can discover additional uses for - that they might do.
Also, if they can come up with a really simple installer (and uninstaller) that repartitions the hard drive and allows dualboot, there may be a lot of people afraid of change that might try it because it is risk free.

However, people tend to embrace 'new' and adding another game console - that just happens to have a Linux install that they can discover additional uses for - that they might do.
Also, if they can come up with a really simple installer (and uninstaller) that repartitions the hard drive and allows dualboot, there may be a lot of people afraid of change that might try it because it is risk free.
Or be able to sell it on a USB stick for the cost of the hardware+shipping...

Both things (partitioning and USB boot) Linux distros already do handily.

Here's a thought.  Put the 'Steam-Linux OS' on a multi-function USB stick that has 16GB for the OS+games and a wireless controller for their gamepad thingies.  Instant game console - just add PC.  

Then give the option to install it on the PC to make it faster - or maybe just add files to a directory on the HDD to act as an on-machine cache for the contents of the USB and call them from the HDD if they're already there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a thought.  Put the 'Steam-Linux OS' on a multi-function USB stick that has 16GB for the OS+games and a wireless controller for their gamepad thingies.  Instant game console - just add PC
Now THAT is a brilliant idea. Drive, bluetooth, and wifi all in one. The wifi is so they don't have to run cables to the living room, simply enter your wifi password and it "just works". Also bluetooth+wifi chips are only a couple dollars more than just bluetooth.

Here's a thought.  Put the 'Steam-Linux OS' on a multi-function USB stick that has 16GB for the OS+games and a wireless controller for their gamepad thingies.  Instant game console - just add PC
Now THAT is a brilliant idea. Drive, bluetooth, and wifi all in one. The wifi is so they don't have to run cables to the living room, simply enter your wifi password and it "just works". Also bluetooth+wifi chips are only a couple dollars more than just bluetooth.
Just thought - would it need a USB micro hub in it so that it can be both a bootable storage device and radio? Trying to avoid dropping an actual general purpose CPU into the thing. That might boost the cost up to nearly $20.

USB standard allows for composite devices. I'm not sure how hard it would be to produce one though, and a built in hub might be easier.

Well - You don't have to use the steam controller.

Or even the SteamOS.

I'd say it looks fairly dodgy as well but on the flip side - when have Valve ever put anything terrible out?

My bet is it's a game changer and it'll be the IPhone of touch devices (touch screens were rubbish before the iphone. They took a concept that didn't work and made it fantastic)

Steam's DRM is one of the best out there. And if they didn't allow publishers to implement their own DRM they definitely would not have gotten anywhere near as many recent games.

Back