Pandoralive : Where do we go from here?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Hi Guys, 
As it looks like the Pyra is going to be released in a not so distant future, I'd like to check with you and get your advice on what do with Pandoralive.

First, about the name:
1) Keep it Pandoralive even after the Pyra is out
2) Change it to a Pyra-compatible sounding name
3) Change to something more broad than the associated brand ? 

Second, in terms of contents:
1) still cover Pandora even after the Pyra is out ?
2) Fully focus on Pyra since most of the news will be about that by that time ?
3) Both anyway

Third, a call for participants:
- the time I can allocate to Pandoralive has decreased in the recent past because of family situation and work, as you may have noticed. 
- at the same time, the Pyra is going to be big news, and there will be increased items to cover. It's fairly obvious that I wont be able to do this alone, so if there is anyone serious in these boards to jump in the ship and work with me, that would be great :)

Any other suggestions / comments welcome!

How about, gameknight. (was in use)

Recently you have covered some steam things, which is relevant, and probably brings pandora/pyra to the attention of a broader audience.
If the title covers it, and things such as the retropi everyone wins.

Edit, how about, jesterknight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyra is a derivative of the Pandora, not only as the sucessor of the handheld, but daughter of Pandora... so I think the name can stay.  I see no reason why you can cover both the Pandora and the Pyra. I'm sure there may be others that could help with writing, not me of course, but someone...

Second, in terms of contents:
1) still cover Pandora even after the Pyra is out ?
2) Fully focus on Pyra since most of the news will be about that by that time ?
3) Both anyway

If something is to say about the Pandora, be it from you or from some guest writer, it should be told. I don't think it makes sense to use some 50:50 quota.

But it makes kind of sense to get some additional main writers for the blog, as the pandora even has still some releases, but the activtity phased out, which is a great pity.

First: I say keep it PandoraLive unless there is a good Pyra related name you prefer.  If you want to go with something broader then it makes sense to pick a general purpose name, but I will get to that in a bit.  I prefer a Pandora or Pyra related name.

Second: I feel that it is a good outlet for what is going on with the community.  I think if there is something significant related to the Pandora it should still be covered.  Obviously it will be mostly Pyra stuff, but don't completely ignore things related to the Pandora.  Maybe a monthly or weekly list of new stuff, if there is anything, and occasional posts (I can think of at least one thing I would suggest in the near future).  Pyra should be the main focus.  As ck mentioned, there are some things that might be of interest/value that are still related to the Pandora and Pyra.  If there are people that want to write about it, and it is related or of interest to our niche, post it.  Since you are short on time and we don't know that others will step up, stick with brief Pyra/Pandora posts giving a brief description and link to it.  This will also probably make it easier for you since it may not take as much time.

I don't want to commit myself to something and not have time to complete it.  I am sure some others feel the same way.  How about if someone has a partially or fully completed piece they send it to you?  Can you act as an editor?  Maybe those that want to help out can have a place to say "hey, I am writing about this" so that you don't have 5 people working on the same thing (people can work together on things as well).  There does need to be regular communication, though, so if someone isn't making progress on their piece someone else can take over for them to get it posted in a timely manner.

I don't want to commit myself to something and not have time to complete it.  I am sure some others feel the same way.  How about if someone has a partially or fully completed piece they send it to you?  Can you act as an editor?  Maybe those that want to help out can have a place to say "hey, I am writing about this" so that you don't have 5 people working on the same thing (people can work together on things as well).  There does need to be regular communication, though, so if someone isn't making progress on their piece someone else can take over for them to get it posted in a timely manner.

To this point: 
Yes, that is definitely something that's possible, as long as the partial piece is not like 10% done only. I have no issue finalizing / reading articles and improving on them if necessary. 

As for internal communication in case we have several writers, that should be no problem, there are several ways to do that effectively and it would not be the first time I do so. This would only occur if we have several writers, though :)

To this point: 
Yes, that is definitely something that's possible, as long as the partial piece is not like 10% done only. I have no issue finalizing / reading articles and improving on them if necessary. 

As for internal communication in case we have several writers, that should be no problem, there are several ways to do that effectively and it would not be the first time I do so. This would only occur if we have several writers, though :)
I should have been more clear.  I meant a piece they think is almost done, so they can get feedback before they finish up and send you the complete version.

I would like to help out, but as I said I don't want to commit to it then fail to deliver anything.  Right now I can only say how much free time I will have a few days out.  Things could get a lot better or a lot worse in a couple months, and that is when things will start to pick up.

To answer the questions at the top, I think new software releases and features might be of interest to Pandora users for some time to come, so while there are still more than a dozen releases or so every month, I think that deserves a news post, even once the Pyra is out.  A lot of us Pyra owners will still be Pandora owners, or ex-owners, and still interested in what the old beast can do.

I'd tend to look to renaming the site, but making the old pandoralive url redirect to the new site, so any old bookmarks get sorted automatically.  I don't see anything wrong with pyralive.info for a URL by the way.

Also, I might read the site more often personally if you had a working rss feed.  I note that's been broken now for over a year apparently (though it's possible it's a problem at my end - while two of my readers can't parse it properly, I can't immediately see what's wrong with it looking at the xml)

maybe pyralive.com, since people usually put in .com if they're just guessing.  (if it's available.)

pyralive flows nicely :).

I say keep it Pandroalive.info, the name could remain as a legacy for both the devices and the community behind them. This way you can focus on both devices and any future ones that might emerge from the community.

I thought of pressfire and someone had taken it, meeeeeeh.

Edit: "pressreturn" isnt that bad, signals some journalistic integrity, and has a nice link to the movie pi.

Edit: "pressreturn" isnt that bad, signals some journalistic integrity, and has a nice link to the movie pi.

Fun film.  I like that name for a few reasons, none of which have anything to do with journalism.  I guess journalism references can be fun too...

I don't care about the name. Pandora in the name is good for me, even when the Pyra will come.
I would like the blog to keep talking about the Pandora when there are worthy topics that justify it.

Selectpress sounds quite exclusive

Already taken in .com and .net forms.  If you took selectpress.info, there's a chance one of those would find you and ask you to justify why you'd picked that name that could easily be confused with theirs.

as long as you're not phishing for their customer's information, i can't imagine there'd be a legit case against you.

but i imagine it would be better to get a .com address anyway...

Back