Pandoralive : Call to Contributors

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Hey everyone, 

As you know i've been running Pandoralive for a while now (more than 3 months) and while I have no problem continuing it, i'd like to see other writers/contributors to expand the number of articles and subjects covered. I only have so much time in the day to work on it, and any help is appreciated. Personally I'd like to have one new post every day of the week in order to build a following. 

Here's what I am looking for:

- Regular writers (i.e. motivated people). If you only intend to write one post and then disappear, it's not really helpful in the end. The frequency of publication can vary, but I'd expect at least one article a week. There's a lot to be done, to test and write about. If you don't have any idea, I can offload mine on you and you'll have enough to write about for 6 months or more :)  Note that I expect relatively autonomous people here, who can write correct English and structured, thoughtful articles. The idea is to keep publishing what I consider "added value" articles, not just a bunch of news or light reviews. 

- Guest posters. There were many already, but it's always great to have someone step in and say they will do a one shot article on a particular subject that they know very well. I am always interested to see developers step in as well and explain how they ported X or Y software. 

- My Day With The Pandora series: similar to the guest post idea, but for this you dont need any specific knowledge, so if you feel you are using your Pandora in an interesting way that has not been described before, please feel free to propose an article too. 

- Social Managers: People who do facebook/twitter/etc.. and who would be willing to manage such services for Pandoralive. Currently I am not using much of this and there's a clear opportunity to do more, but 1) I dont really like spending time on social networks and 2) I dont have time for that. 

- People who can help with Wordpress / I need a couple of fixes on the templates but I dont have enough time to look at the technicalities on how to do it. If anyone around here is very experienced with Wordpress please shout, it's probably faster this way.

That's it. 

If you like Pandoralive and want to see it thrive, please DO answer :)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora Live is fantastic! It is one of the few websites special enough to be on quick dial on my web browser (Opera). 

I'm not sure how often I can help since I'm quite busy but I have no problem writing for you if you're interested.

The Pandora is a very special device and I don't mind informing others as to why. I'm also currently learning how to develop for the system.

I can at least tell others about my trials learning how to do things like setup a cross-compiler and learn enough C and SDL to have "Hello World"

show up graphically and not just in some terminal.  

Hi, I would just like to second the previous post, please do keep up the great work! Alas as a 1st batch pre-order I'm still awaiting my Pandora, but with Evil Dragons latest drive to finally clear all outstanding orders I'm hoping I will finally get mine and have recently found your excellent blog and read with interest the best that Pandora has to offer. I was particularly interested in the comparison with the Kindle. Having got one for my wife know the hoops I've had to jump through to get some books on it through Callibre and my experience with a tablet. 

13371-pandoralive-call-to-contributors/

I think the url will provide a lot of leet posters^^

Pandora Live is fantastic! It is one of the few websites special enough to be on quick dial on my web browser (Opera). 

I'm not sure how often I can help since I'm quite busy but I have no problem writing for you if you're interested.

The Pandora is a very special device and I don't mind informing others as to why. I'm also currently learning how to develop for the system.

I can at least tell others about my trials learning how to do things like setup a cross-compiler and learn enough C and SDL to have "Hello World"

Thanks for the comments!

I am definitely interested by an article on how to setup a cross-compiler. If you are ready to share this, please let me know and we have an article about that :)

C + SDL / we have some tutorials coming from Dredd as well, but that's definitely a topic where a lot of things can be said. 

Hi, I would just like to second the previous post, please do keep up the great work! Alas as a 1st batch pre-order I'm still awaiting my Pandora, but with Evil Dragons latest drive to finally clear all outstanding orders I'm hoping I will finally get mine and have recently found your excellent blog and read with interest the best that Pandora has to offer. I was particularly interested in the comparison with the Kindle. Having got one for my wife know the hoops I've had to jump through to get some books on it through Callibre and my experience with a tablet. 
Thanks for the comment - really appreciate you are reading Pandoralive even though you have yet to get your Pandora! (I cross my fingers you will get it soon). 

Yeah, the Kindle comparison was just an "off" article I wanted to write but I think it ended up being a worthy matter of discussion on what makes a good ebook reader. 

Apologies for quietness on my front.  I did start writing an article about rsync/scp, but actually covering all the require topics of opening ports and securing the system and interacting with Windows servers has proved a bigger topic to research than I was initially aware of.  I should get back to it really.

Personally I find the weekly software news the best reason to keep visiting Pandora Live.  I track the repo RSS feed, but the information there is quite limited, so your articles really provide a service to me.  The other features and articles are a nice extra too of course.

One thing I still think will help, if it's hits you want, is to make number of comments visible from the title page, so we can see if discussion is happening on an article we've already read.  As is, I read an article once, perhaps check it once again over the next few days to see if anyone's posted, then leave it.  That's four page hits per article per week, whereas I'd check the old pandorapress daily or even more to see if any discussion was happening there.

I'll start looking for my old notes/posts on it and see if I can't put something together. Compiling on the Pandora is fine for a bit but really limits development over time IMHO. I prefer to just be able to program on my main computer and then produce the Pandora binary to transfer to the system. I'm sure a tutorial on this setup would help a lot of people.

Thanks for the comments!

I am definitely interested by an article on how to setup a cross-compiler. If you are ready to share this, please let me know and we have an article about that :)

C + SDL / we have some tutorials coming from Dredd as well, but that's definitely a topic where a lot of things can be said. 

I'd also like to voice my opinion on Pandoralive....maybe even submit an article at some point.  I've really enjoyed reading all of it, and I've learned a lot about what I can do with this great device.  I think that you've done a tremendous job, ekianjo.  I agree that you probably need more help and input.  I don't want your seeming "workload" to well seem like "work".  We're all at our best when we can take a bit of a breather and enjoy life and enjoy the Pandora - no need to turn it all into a tedious task...that's no fun for anyone.  

Unfortunately, I'm not the most technically proficient Pandora user at this present time.  I have written some articles on occasion though - I used to have a sports blog on some defunct website back in the day.  Now that I finally have my Pandora, I'd be happy to contribute where I can.  Most likely (at this point) that would probably be something like "My day with the Pandora" series or as a guest writer.  I'm an excellent proofreader.  I've done that for a couple of business/websites.  Maybe I could help out in my own small way until I get more proficient with this tiny computer that we ALL love.   :)  

Above all, know that you're doing excellent work and you're efforts are not in vain.  I appreciate all of your contributions to this community.

One thing I still think will help, if it's hits you want, is to make number of comments visible from the title page, so we can see if discussion is happening on an article we've already read.  As is, I read an article once, perhaps check it once again over the next few days to see if anyone's posted, then leave it.  That's four page hits per article per week, whereas I'd check the old pandorapress daily or even more to see if any discussion was happening there.
This is why I asked for this in my original post: "- People who can help with Wordpress / I need a couple of fixes on the templates but I dont have enough time to look at the technicalities on how to do it. If anyone around here is very experienced with Wordpress please shout, it's probably faster this way."

Unfortunately, no-one answered about that.

Back