Start A New Pandora Site

borgqueenx said:
i got 6gb of space and 150gb a month bandwith, so hosting is not a problem.
But like i said before, no one wants the site and want to keep things here.
So i'm not building the site unless some people want it.
I'll say go for it if you really want to, I know I'll be looking on any site for news/downloads etc
Don't listen to people saying it will benefit no-one - bollocks! I'm sure if we can manage putting files, roms etc and getting them to work we can manage 2-3 Pandora web sites to go through!
Plus to me this site has the files but sometimes its tricky looking for a particular one and the fact its not easy on the eye is another turn off and its certainly looking really out of date i think a major overhaul is needed!
So again its upto you though obviously it would be update all the time otherwise people won't be back and make it easy to navigate and well laid out and JUST dedicated to the Pandora as this will make it easier for newbies etc not to get confused with GP2X/GP32 news and files etc

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
i got 6gb of space and 150gb a month bandwith, so hosting is not a problem.
But like i said before, no one wants the site and want to keep things here.
So i'm not building the site unless some people want it.
Well, for some information, etc. that's fine.

The gp2x Archiv needs about 500GB a month at the moment, and I expect the Pandora archive to get even more because as it looks like right now, the Pandora will be much more popular.

Last edited:
Not to mention, being much more likely to have larger file sizes for applications once things ramp up.

Can't wait.

Why does a random that isn't involved in the community much believe that he could make a webiste that is soley based on its community when we already have a website to congregate on that has all we need?

Arrgghhh, the thought makes my head hurt.

jaycee900 said:
I'll say go for it if you really want to, I know I'll be looking on any site for news/downloads etc
Don't listen to people saying it will benefit no-one - bollocks! I'm sure if we can manage putting files, roms etc and getting them to work we can manage 2-3 Pandora web sites to go through!
Plus to me this site has the files but sometimes its tricky looking for a particular one and the fact its not easy on the eye is another turn off and its certainly looking really out of date i think a major overhaul is needed!
So again its upto you though obviously it would be update all the time otherwise people won't be back and make it easy to navigate and well laid out and JUST dedicated to the Pandora as this will make it easier for newbies etc not to get confused with GP2X/GP32 news and files etc
Providing ROMs for download is going to land you into a lot of hot water and to be honest I don't want the Pandora dragged down with your website because you provided ROMs for download.

JakeK said:
Why does a random that isn't involved in the community much believe that he could make a webiste that is soley based on its community when we already have a website to congregate on that has all we need?

jaycee900 said:
Providing ROMs for download is going to land you into a lot of hot water and to be honest I don't want the Pandora dragged down with your website because you provided ROMs for download.

Exactly! My thoughts entirely!!!

Even when experienced forumers make a new site it never succeeds. I vaguely remember Nova and some others making another site. Here isn't perfect but it is good enough.

JakeK said:

jaycee900 said:

If you read my post properly you will I didn't say the site would provide roms, i said if we can manage putting roms and other files and getting them on the Pandora to work, them we shouldn't have any trouble going through 2-3 different Pandora sites.

Anyway I don't see what the problem is if he wants to then its upto him anyway not on your say so, its like you have made your bed and don't want to move, I think some people need to grow up a little.

Why should we have to go through 2-3 different sites, when we could just as easily have only one. It doesn't make sense.
If you are going to make a site make a fan site, a news site, anything. Just don't offer downloads that we couldn't find on the archives.

I think the only thing would be a review/news/tips type thing, for homebrew and emulation games- on second that, skip that. Might as well just have an e-zine.

PlopperZ said:
Why should we have to go through 2-3 different sites, when we could just as easily have only one. It doesn't make sense.
If you are going to make a site make a fan site, a news site, anything. Just don't offer downloads that we couldn't find on the archives.
lol I didn't say we HAD to have 2-3 different sites, i was just saying that i wouldn't see the problem if there was 2-3 sites for the Pandora! Yes we could easily have one, but why stop there? If a developer or whatever decided to post stuff exclusively to a new site then again theres no problem there.

No-one said the downloads couldn't be stored all in one place....like I said before I think this whole thread has gone a bit sidetracked, all the other person wanted to do was another Pandora news or whatever site no-one said the precious gp32x.de would be touched or taken away jeez!

jaycee900 said:
i was just saying that i wouldn't see the problem if there was 2-3 sites for the Pandora! Yes we could easily have one, but why stop there? If a developer or whatever decided to post stuff exclusively to a new site then again theres no problem there.
I'd have a problem with that, because I would be only going to one site. I could be missing out on good games or apps because it is on another site. I couldn't see why a developer wouldn't want to post their stuff on the main downloads site, anyway.

jaycee900 said:
JakeK said:

jaycee900 said:

If you read my post properly you will I didn't say the site would provide roms, i said if we can manage putting roms and other files and getting them on the Pandora to work, them we shouldn't have any trouble going through 2-3 different Pandora sites.

Anyway I don't see what the problem is if he wants to then its upto him anyway not on your say so, its like you have made your bed and don't want to move, I think some people need to grow up a little.

You still haven't clarified what you said, "manage putting roms and other files and getting them on the Pandora to work."

I, like everyone else in this thread is providing advice about what he wants to do; after all he did ask if it was a good idea. Don't tell me to grow up, he asked for advice, I gave it and now you are telling us to stop giving advice that he asked for. Somehow I think you are the less mature one.

Hypothetical situation: Say he does make a website. Earlier he thought he had enough bandwidth (150GB), ED said that currently the website needs 500GB a month; without any Pandora content. There's your first problem. Now say the website got off the ground. Now he has to 'compete' (yes compete, because you'll need users in order to justify its existance) with openpandora.org, the home of the Pandora the the open source community that will be involved in the Pandora. Not too mention that the 'other' website will be hosted by a person not even known in the community. There is your second problem.

Why stop at one site? Because it is more confusing to have software etc placed over two different websites; worse than the supposed 'difficulty' in trying to find software etc on the current site. You'll piss more people off than making them happy.

hey

Bah, if I like the website then I will go to it, plain and simple.

Who cares if you are reporting the same news, look at other communities, the same news gets reported everywhere, but the reason one person goes to one website over another is because they may prefer the way in which it's presented, or the personality of the writer, or the website design or whatever. The other thing is that your website may differ in that it reports on other related devices or whatever else that may not be covered in the "official community" website.

You may also have additional things to offer, such as game/software reviews or interviews with developers or whatever.

Hmm, if people of this community take your website as a threat then they need to take a good look at why they think this? If you think this website or whatever is so darn special then surely another website would be of no harm. Obviously each person of this community has a mind of their own, so I have no idea if most folks are against a new website or not, or neither.

But yea, I say go for it, but before you do you need to consider some things.

Now if you want to offer downloads, and assuming you have the capcacity todo so, then firstly you should look into how the package manager (I think there might be one anyhows?) will function on the actual machine, maybe you will have the ability to search and install packages from whatever repo directly through wifi, and in which case you might want to become a mirror to relieve the load on the official servers.

But yea, when it comes to downloads, work with the community not against and so again if you become some sorta mirror (assuming it's possible with the way the downloads are managed or whatever, and that you get the go ahead from whoever runs this side of things in the community) then it would relieve quite alot of load off the official servers.

Anyhows I will leave it at that.

cyas

hey

Just me again...

So maybe the question you should be asking is...

Who wants to commit to writing interesting, engaging or whatever reports on pandora news, rumors, or related events?

Who wants to commit to writing features, previews, reviews or whatever on pandora games/software?

Who wants to commit to looking in and keeping track of what's going on over in the developers side of the world? and write interviews and what not?

And if people are willing to commit to all these sorta tasks or whatever then I think you may have a foundation to start a website, and if these people do their job well then I think you will gather a following :).

cyas

I think the only way this site will work would be to provide something that gp32x doesn't already offer, such as a dedicated high scores database, Pandora concept art or game reviews. These subjects are not what I reckon they should be, just 3 examples to get your creative juices running.

Currently we can do all the above on gp32x using forum threads, but if you're willing to write something from scratch and present it well, you just might make it. If however you just bolt on another forum to the site then it will probably fail.

Once your new and original site is running, it might even help a little if you talk to Hando and ask him if he could link to it.

Good Luck.

JakeK said:
You still haven't clarified what you said, "manage putting roms and other files and getting them on the Pandora to work."

I was just comparing to what he said about it being confusing visiting a couple of Pandora sites for news etc its a lot less difficult then actually putting files etc and getting them to work on a actual Pandora machine.

I, like everyone else in this thread is providing advice about what he wants to do; after all he did ask if it was a good idea. Don't tell me to grow up, he asked for advice, I gave it and now you are telling us to stop giving advice that he asked for. Somehow I think you are the less mature one.

Yeah whatever mate, I think some peoples 'advice' wasn't actually that, and more of 'we don't want another Pandora site leave us alone on our 1 site Pandora island'

Hypothetical situation: Say he does make a website. Earlier he thought he had enough bandwidth (150GB), ED said that currently the website needs 500GB a month; without any Pandora content. There's your first problem. Now say the website got off the ground. Now he has to 'compete' (yes compete, because you'll need users in order to justify its existance) with openpandora.org, the home of the Pandora the the open source community that will be involved in the Pandora. Not too mention that the 'other' website will be hosted by a person not even known in the community. There is your second problem.

The problems the site involves are nothing to do with me.

Why stop at one site? Because it is more confusing to have software etc placed over two different websites; worse than the supposed 'difficulty' in trying to find software etc on the current site. You'll piss more people off than making them happy.

Like i said in my previous post I didn't say it had to be across 2 sites, because I'm sure it all would find its way here anyway, just another place to get the files from...

I think a site that offered in-depth and honest reviews of homebrew on the pandora would be fantastic, i dont know i you're considering that.

Jacee, calm down! You are acting like a real idiot!

Walm Fluffy-you got it right! I read all the eeepc sites, the blogs. Do something like that!

I'm not even going to bother jaycee900, you have this thick brick wall that can't be penetrated. You are no better than those you claim that are fanboys of this forum/website.

JakeK said:
I'm not even going to bother jaycee900, you have this thick brick wall that can't be penetrated. You are no better than those you claim that are fanboys of this forum/website.
All I'm gonna say is ditto and probably end it there.

To lubidog I'm calm as calm can be!

Back