Start A New Pandora Site

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
I'm thinking of starting my own pandora site.
That covers downloads, news, and more.
I'm already the boss of gdteam.net, consoles.gdteam.net(this site really sux), and my best success psp.gdteam.net (2000 unique visitors a day)(pc's will redirect to forums, psp will see the actual site)

I want to do this becouse i didnt saw any other pandora site, with the pandora as target.

And i'm only making it if some guys here can support me, by posting or helping me submitting news sometimes.
I'l be making a part only accessable for pandora's, and a part for PC's.

Good idea and people who wanna help?

The idea has been brought up before. I'll ask you the same question as the other would-be site administrators: What do you think you can offer that we don't already have here? GP32X has been the primary (English speaking) site for the GP32 and GP2X since day one. Most of the potential Pandora users and devs are coming from those systems and have a history here. Why would they want to leave for a new site?

If you're really gung-ho about the idea, then go for it. Just don't be surprised if you don't get many supporters / viewers.

Fine, but do note that the main Pandora forums, news and files will be on this site. I don't see what else you are going to offer that people will want?

till now, it wont have much news, becouse the console is not out yet, but when it is next month, i can offer downloads, a "bigger" forum, and more...

Or will openpandora.org also greatly expand when its officialty out?

and @chip: it will go only about the pandora console as prima target, not about the ds or psp or something...

borgqueenx said:
till now, it wont have much news, becouse the console is not out yet, but when it is next month, i can offer downloads, a "bigger" forum, and more...
Yes, but why attempt to replace this?

And why waste money on web hosting and bandwidth when there's already going to be a package repository for the Pandora? I don't see what your site would have to offer that Hando and ED will already be giving us everything we need.

I won't be using it. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
What kind of downloads? If they are apps for the Pandora, they will most likely be uploaded to the Pandora file archive and then a news article about it posted on these forums. You will then have to download those files to upload them to your own archive, but there will be no incentive to download from your archive when they are already here, and updates will be posted here.

A "bigger" forum is great, but don't forget the number of sub-forums here will increase when the console is released to the public, and that the official site points here for the discussion forums (and will be pointing to the Pandora file archive for downloads).

Still seems kinda pointless to me.

If you want to make something that will attract people, then make something special. What you're proposing right now is a site that recycles the content from this site - lame and pointless. Why not focus on a specific area of Pandora? On the other hand, many people would visit a site focused on extensive (and original) software reviews, or 'best game picks', or any other specialized subset of Pandora content. In other words, bring original content not found elsewhere, and people will come :)

Alex. said:
If you want to make something that will attract people, then make something special. What you're proposing right now is a site that recycles the content from this site - lame and pointless. Why not focus on a specific area of Pandora? On the other hand, many people would visit a site focused on extensive (and original) software reviews, or 'best game picks', or any other specialized subset of Pandora content. In other words, bring original content not found elsewhere, and people will come :)
-I know the key of building a site.

But i guess not to many people are interested, plus if this site is going to expend and will have a archive of files, there's not much i can improve and make better.
I'm not building the site then, but i'l keep on these forums now and then...

cya, Borg Queen X.

argor said:
borgqueenx said:
downloads, a "bigger" forum, and more...
something like dcemu offers rite now http://pandora.dcemu.co.uk/ ;)

"Pandora Homebrew is the the worlds premier Pandora Hacking, Development, Emulation and Homebrew News and Downloads Site. Part of the DCEmu Homebrew & Gaming Network."

LOL.

hey everyone cheats on site descriptions :p

i just replaced one of my other site descriptions with Pandora. :p

Now as for sites and Pandora, i and other webmasters know that this place is the home and that theres i would think going to be a central place for files, all my site will do is bring news and visitors to gp32x.de. Unlike other console scenes theres no free for all, this place is the main place.

borgqueenx said:
till now, it wont have much news, becouse the console is not out yet,

ORLY? Ever considered that might be the reason there isn't much news around here?

but when it is next month,

Right, and next month I start growing a third tail
i can offer downloads, a "bigger" forum,
Where is the budget? The GP2X archive ( http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi ) has almost 5GB of files, the GP32 archive ( http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi ) has just over 2GB. I don't think you can support that.

I want to see you pay for the hosting that this forum/community (including the file archive) has, we have been Dugg'ed, Hackaday'ed, PopSci ran a piece on the '2X, Engadget puts up articles.

There are 585485 posts and 13957 members on this site, you cannot have a bigger site dedicated to the Pandora. 221 active users in the last 15 minutes too.

and more...

I would love to watch Selma Blair and Neve Campbell lick an Ice Cream cone (yes, just one cone :) ), can you make that happen?

Or will openpandora.org also greatly expand when its officialty out?

and @Chip: it will go only about the pandora console as prima target, not about the ds or psp or something...

Um, well, there were a few fansites about the GP2X, you could get the same infos as this forum, albeit between a day and a week out of date.

OpenPandora is a site for a not-yet-released product, I would bet a flashy website is not a top priority.

Notice too that the "forum" link on the site comes HERE. That might suggest to you that the forum is sanctioned by the designers/manufacturers/owners/distributors, not that they go around deleting negative comments or concerns (or will in the future), this is an open forum.

This site will expand the Pandora section when the time is right (so far I know of about 3 pieces of software being worked on, and there is no public hardware to run it on), so at the moment there is no need for anything to be done.

If you have a website it needs to offer something, and it needs to have a way to support itself. You cannot offer anything (old news from here, files from here), and I don't see a viable means of supporting your site monetarily. Thus no-one will come to your scene.

The subject of a Pandora-Only forum has been brought up, but I think it would be hosted here in any case.

nubie, hosting is cheap, and the possibilities of managing your own server are getting easier and better. Don't assume that just cause someone has a shitty idea, they are some poor asshole who doesn't have any idea about web design.

Squidge said:
Fine, but do note that the main Pandora forums, news and files will be on this site. I don't see what else you are going to offer that people will want?
Maybe a site which offers more functionality than a just a forum tacked on to a front page?

I'm in if help is needed. It would be good to see a site optimised for the pandora.

Nova said:
Squidge said:
Maybe a site which offers more functionality than a just a forum tacked on to a front page?

I'm in if help is needed. It would be good to see a site optimised for the pandora.

Still rather pointless, since it has a package manager.

This site plus openpandora is fine. Too many sites is not good and benefits no one, except those looking to make an advertising profit. Keep the content where we all know where to find it, develop openpanora when there is something to say. If the devs can't do the web due to lack of time they only have to say on the forum and there will be plenty of offers of help to help publish news.

i got 6gb of space and 150gb a month bandwith, so hosting is not a problem.
But like i said before, no one wants the site and want to keep things here.
So i'm not building the site unless some people want it.

Back