SquidgeLink 0.3

i'm amazed. i've been playing around with this thing for a few minutes, so i thought i'd throw some report together:

- aborting file transmissions doesn't seem to work (recalling my previous experiences in Delphi/Object Pascal, you have to call an input poll function in every iteration for windows to recognize the button/keypress during the loop)
- when deleting directories with files in them from the smc, the progress window doesn't show which things are being deleted right now (nor how many are still in queue)
- when copying several files (only tried from pc to smc), the queue counter is wrong. i copied 4 files. upon copying the first file, the queue was 0, then when it got to the second file, it was 2 (which was correct). so it doesn't set the queue on the first file.
- no folder icons for dirs on the smc? why?
- file ordering is a bit messed up (for example directories beginning with '!' are before '.' and '..'
- browsing local drives while gp32 disconnected gives error message
- quitting SquidgeLink doesn't quit the pclink on the gp32 like the official pclink did
- small feature requests: deleting with the delete key, entering dirs with enter, and going up a dir with backspace; tab key usage like in Total Commander (only used for switching panels but not to cycle button focus)
- speed is awesome! :D

this is all for now. i'll be sure to tell you if i find anything else. keep it up dude!

Due to the way the PC Link protocol works, "Abort" will only abort the file transfer after the current file being transferred has finished. It's really in there just in case you copy 20 files over at once and then decide you don't actually want all 20, or something like that. SquidgeLink doesn't have any loops for the transfers - everything is event driven - once a packet is sent out, the program falls asleep and gets woken up by Windows when something happens, such as data on the USB port, or someone clicking the mouse/etc.

Deleting a directory full of files from the SMC is a single command, so there's only 1 entry in the queue - the GP itself deletes the files and just tells me when it's finished, so there's really no status info to display (Well, apart from "Deleting")

About the queue - this seems to be a bug. With a single file in there, the queue should be empty (0) as there are no more files after the one being processed. If it shows 1, then there is one file to go.

The program asks Windows for all it's icon images. As the GP can't supply icons, it doesn't provide any. I will provide a set of defaults icons later however.

The only reason files starting with "!" and before "." is because "!" is before "." in the ASCII table, and the program a alphabetical sort before displaying. I will try and force "." and ".." to the top though (maybe even remove "." alltogether, as it's kinda useless)

And I'll type some more later :)

fucking gp32spain did put your beta thing on their fucking page and i dont think u allowed them :angry: :angry:
isnt your beta version here only for gp32x members?

Calm down Wolfsclaw. I think the idea of these Beta Testing forums is just to centralize people's comments and questions about open beta products. Unless I missed something, I assumed Squidge wanted this distributed.

Squidge, I also uploaded your beta to our GP32x servers. No need to pound your servers needlessly.

On a lighter note, I tried it out, and it seems to be working fine. I can't wait for the next version, with the added features.

Very good, the double tree-view is better than the one in GP-Link software:)

I hope this softawre will be better :)

good continuation :)

hmm, there seems to be a serious bug, but i don't remember how it happened exactly :/ my whole gpmm dir on the smc got reduced to a 0kB file (yes, file, not dir). the smc recovery built into the bios said that it corrected one error, but the 0kB file is still there (called gpmm). damn :/

EDIT: i remember what happened now: i wanted to copy the new opensnes9x fxe over to gpmm (pressed the copy button), but nothing happened. then i pressed it again, and it said transfer in progress. my gp32 said "now waiting", so i quit squidgelink and reset my gp32. then i went into pclink mode again, launched squidgelink, and refreshed the gp:\ treeview. then i doubleclicked on gpmm and it brought up a copy dialog that was copying the file gpmm, which was now a 0kB file. uhhh

EDIT2: oddly enough, everything still works from Free Launcher, just doesn't show up right in file managers (the official one, SquidgeLink, and COMI (file manager ON the gp32) sees a 0kB file instead of the dir). argh, i can't install anything now XD

I just tried the app, and this is what happened:

I launched the app with the gp32 unplugged, when the app opened i plugged my gp32 in and press refresh. Nothing seemed to be happening, so i closed the app. At this point my pc rebooted :blink:

I hope you can fix this bug, it looks a lot more user friendly than the official one

Great! I love this! I haven't been able to use the original PC-Link (or any other...) since I installed WinXP on my computer, but with SquidgeLink it works!! =)
I haven't tried it out for so long, but I did manage to get file list and transfer some files, so I'm happy =)
My holiday vacation is starting by 12.30 today, so this is great news =)

// Emil

jegHegy posted on Dec 18 2003 at 07:57 PM said:
EDIT: i remember what happened now: i wanted to copy the new opensnes9x fxe over to gpmm (pressed the copy button), but nothing happened. then i pressed it again, and it said transfer in progress. my gp32 said "now waiting", so i quit squidgelink and reset my gp32. then i went into pclink mode again, launched squidgelink, and refreshed the gp:\ treeview. then i doubleclicked on gpmm and it brought up a copy dialog that was copying the file gpmm, which was now a 0kB file. uhhh
had this problem too and thats the reason why i dont use this version atm... just dont wanna destroy my data always :rolleyes:

but if all thos bugs once fixed i will be using this :p

Last edited by a moderator:
generalnmx: Thanks. I placed it on a webpage simply because of the fact that it would be much easier to update, when new versions come out. Checking the size though, I see you allow files upto 1mb, and this is currently no where near though, so an attachment would most likely be easier.

jegHegy: Bug fixed.

Unfortunately, reboots and blue screens, I can't fix, as these are down to the gp32 driver. If you are using WindowsXP or 2000, then I'd strongly recommend you use the driver provided with the software, as this is the driver I use myself.

Here's the current change log:

==============================================

Change log:

o - Bug fix
# - General change
+ - New feature

0.32 -

o Queue counter now shows correct values on first file of a multiple file transfer

o No longer any error messages whilst browsing local directories with GP32 disconnected

o 0.3 supported deleting files from the PC file listing, but didn't reflect this in the listing; now it does.

o Fix for overwriting directories with files added

o Errors occuring in directory retrieval no longer require the program to be restarted

# Overwriting files now requires confirmation (optional)

# Directory entry "." removed from listings as it's useless.

# Directory entry ".." will now always be at the top of the list

# "TAB" key changed. Now swaps between the two file listings rather than between everything in the window (The buttons can be used via function keys anyway, so no need for tab)

# If a file transfer fails, the progress dialog will stay on the screen after the transfer has finished to let you view the failed files

# The file progress window is now more informative with non transfer requests (eg. when creating/removing directories)

# Failed transfers now populate the "failed transfers" of the file progress window

+ Folder icons now shown for the GP32. No file icons yet though.

+ Option to send "quit" command to GP32 when quitting the program (by default, this is enabled)

+ New key support: "DELETE" simulates "F8", "ENTER" simulates a double-click, "BACKSPACE" goes up in the directory structure.

+ Ability to abort the transfer in the middle of a file send, rather than just at the end of the current file. Note that this will currently leave the partially completed file on your SMC, and that file transfers from the GP32 can not be aborted in this way, as they are controlled by the GP32.

I've now removed the version on my webpage, and will post a new version here as an attachment as soon as it's available.

Hey Squidge, I love the program, I'm now using it all the time instead of PC Link, but one thing I think would be a nice addition to a future version is the ability to set the default directory that the program starts browsing from (PC side), because I have to open about 20 folders to get to my GP stuff from the C drive. Other than that, SquidgeLink rules! Keep up the good work!

I revmoed the program as I've just found a slightly big bug in one of my timer routines that kills the gp32 side of the lister. Soon as this is fixed, I'll repost as a fix.

MrTwit: Yes, that can be added. I was thinking of allowing people to add to the drop down list from the PC side anyway.

Here's a new version of 0.32 with the bug fixed:

Woah this app is fast !!!! Nice job Squidge!!!

A few remarks:

- I would like a drag n drop feature... preferrably also trough other windows... like: dragging from your desktop to Squidgelink...
- The browser doesnt respond to letter keys. I tend to use this alot as my HD is a big mess and it helps me to find folders more quickly. So what i'd like to have is pressing, for example, "P" when browsing the c: drive and automatically the browser highlights the first folder with a P (program files), just as in windows explorer and stuff.
- Auto file renaming? Like the hacked version of pclink... Or you could allow file renaming in the Squidgelink pc browser part...
- Mr twit's request was pretty good too... How about a dropdown list with recent folders visited... whitch instantly makes it a "favourite gp32 folders" dropdown box.

thats about it for now...

Wow! Great job, Squidge! It's really fast, but I'm already using the 4in1 flash reader which came with my comp, which is also very fast.

**it's not a real bug but an annoying feature:
if you double click a filename more than 8 characters long sqlink tries to transfer it anyway and GP32 gives a SMC error. You will end up with an aborted transfer window which is quite ugly for a simple filename problem.

*** Request:
I guess auto file renaming isn't that hard to do. But it's a necessitiy.
eg.
mario_bros_SNES.zip > mario_br.zip
truncating is enough for start.

Congrats and thanks...
This is the coolest win32 app for gp32!

I thins, it's a bug, when you choose the 3exit" option in menu, the prog doesn't ask to GP to left PC-Link mode, you should quit the prog by pressing the cross to do that :(
It would be nice if quitting by hte menu was able to do that

An other improvement, would be the ability to change Disk on pc part ;)

thanks for this prog, good continuation :D

Back