Squares V0.51

yeah im over the moon, its 2am and if the offie was open id be straight down there buying loads of booze to celebrate :)

i still need to see some feedback on the game as to what people would like to see done first in the game etc. as i said theres no point in working on multiplayer modes with usb joystick support etc if nobodys going to use it. so let me know what you want in the game and ill try and get it done :)

Though of course what you do is up to you... when a homebrew game comes out all the comments you really can make are this is cool or this sucks. There can be some talk of things to fix but many people figure that they will seem like jerks if they tell a developer about a bug because they assume the developer already knows and is having trouble figuring it out. This all equates to about 3 pages of posts but still plenty of enjoyment by people. With an emulator the pages go on and on and on because of compatability, testing, peoples excitement about playing things from past and ideas about how to improve future versions. An emulator is a completely different beast and there is a lot to comment on because it allows 1000's of games to be played and requires a lot of optimization. Once a homebrew game is out only minor improvements are usually made... with an emulator people like to follow its development because they know it will change a lot. These things make for more pages of posts for emulators but they don't mean that homebrew isn't appreciated.

PS: Congratulations on contest win

Heh, you just won the first prize with that game in the compo and seriously think people didn't like it? :D

I never said people didn't like the game, i have said from the start that it would be good to see more people giving feedback. Despite this post now on its second page and winning the compo, I haven't actually had any feedback on what people want to see next in the game since my post yesterday :)

Great game, Guy. Was addicted to the flash version, and this is just even better. :)

I probably wouldn't use the multiplayer mode though, not the kind of game I could see myself play with some mates.

All right dude, feedback:

- I personally have no use for multiplayer mode, but supporting different controllers is nice in case one day I'll get a BOB and play with something else besides the stick (I especially like mouse support, thanks for that)

- I like the idea behind 'extended' mode, with all the powerups. Perhaps we could all brainstorm to come up with more powerups ideas, although they're plentiful as they are now

- the game should remember your last hiscore name input (last time I played it, I believe it didn't) - it takes away from the quickness of the game, having to enter your name each time, and it alternatively sucks having a hiscore table full of 'AAA's

- try to remove the slight stutter of the spinning square on the menu items, while it's not part of the game, it's noticeable

- Alex

remembering name input is already added for the next release, heres the list of changes already done so far:

- added .MOD support to the media player, now supports .MP3, .OGG and .MOD.
- highscore name entry now remembers previous name entered.
- added a media player tab for the volume control. It shows a volume bar and text with the volume setting.
- 3 player support is now enabled. Turns out it was a bug in the libs I was using and not my code... grrr :)

Extended mode needs quite a bit of work as to what I originally planned, due to the compo deadline I had to cut out a lot of stuff. The original plan was to make it level based with a kind of boss at the end of each level, they would spit out squares and you avoid the red ones (can collect the black ones) and hit the new green squares which bounce back and take away some energy. Then the game resumes once the boss is killed with things like new power ups/downs as they are introduced each level, in the current version they are all available.

The rotosprite function on SDL seems to be the cause of the problem, it doesnt seem to rotate centrally or something. It annoys me as well so I will try and fix this before next release :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I noticed it the other day when trying on the gp2x, I changed the frame limiter in-game in the last release and must have forgot to update the code for the menus. I will sort this out for next release.

Also in this newer version, the music stutters occasionally, when in the older version, it was perfect. Ive got a MK1 running 2.1.1 if that helps.

strange, its better for some worse for others. must be my dodgy coding again :) I have been busy over the weekend working on a new site to launch later in the week so I haven't had a chance to work on the game, hopefully sometime during the week I will get a chance to look in and work out what the problems are.

Back