Giana's Return V0.99.6

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
Giana's Return aims to be a worthy UNOFFICIAL sequel of the alltime classic "The Great Giana Sisters".

Version v0.99.6 is a hotfix release and is a recommended update, as it's not possible to complete the game with the previously released v0.99.5 due to modified jumping physics.

20090925_gianas_return_v0.99.6_(wiz_game).jpg

Features:
* Power Ups and Extras
* Oldschool style pixeled sprites and tiles
* Wonderful hand drawn backgrounds
* Illustrated hand drawn storyline
* Over 18 Tracks of finest chip music!
* Multi-Language: German, English, French, Spanish
* Password and/or save game (depending on release platform)
* Hidden Warp Zones and Bonus Caves
* Hidden Trainer
* TOP 10 Highscore

Changes:
* Fixed screen shakes at bosses (cosmetic fix)
* Getting a powerup at a dissolveable bridge should temporary stop the bridge from crumbling away
* Jumping behavior is back to "normal" again, this should solve several issues intruduced with v0.99.5.
* Fixed owl moving behaviour in Level 32
* Fixed positioning bug after bonus cave in Level 45
* WIZ / GP2x - Fixed scripting bug, which left things in the RAM instead of freeing it.
* WIZ / GP2x - Recompressed music files, hardly any quality difference BUT saves 7mb of space!

The Wiz-Port has been made by Pickle and Flavor!

Source: http://www.gianas-return.de/?p=621

I picked up Giana Sisters DS this week. It's good, but not really any better than Giana's Return. Giana's Return definitely has better music. Thanks for the update. :)

Gruso said:
I picked up Giana Sisters DS this week. It's good, but not really any better than Giana's Return. Giana's Return definitely has better music. Thanks for the update. :)

Let's say Giana's Return has oldschool chipmusic, while the official DS version has more symphonic/theathralic style :)

The next release should be v0.99.9 or v1.0 RC1 :)

There are very minor things left before we can be finally laying back...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been playing the newly-released GP2X version and it is great, I love it :)

Thanks to the Giana's Return team!

Kojote said:
Gruso said:

Let's say Giana's Return has oldschool chipmusic, while the official DS version has more symphonic/theathralic style :)

The next release should be v0.99.9 or v1.0 RC1 :)

There are very minor things left before we can be finally laying back...

Is there a way to remove the tearing on the gp2x wiz? It really noticable in the cave levels?

Regards

André

Very good homebrew sequel. Been playing this for almost a week straight if you haven't downloaded it yet check it out a wonderful game and a really great job on creating it keep up the good work.

Kojote said:
True enough, and the official DS version has also grown on me now. I still think Giana's Return has better music though. :D It's more lively and suited to platforming imo, whereas the official soundtrack is a little flat, almost like elevator music. Anyway, both great games.

I finally made it to the final boss after Level 56, e.g. Swampy. But how do I beat him? I just keep running away from him. Then I reach a point where I can't get any further due fire ans spikes everywhere and a glowing ruby I can't reach.

Regards

André

fettouhi said:
I finally made it to the final boss after Level 56, e.g. Swampy. But how do I beat him? I just keep running away from him. Then I reach a point where I can't get any further due fire ans spikes everywhere and a glowing ruby I can't reach.

Regards

André

there is a hint if you and swampy have a talk, before he is chasing you!
-koj

Kojote said:
fettouhi said:

Regards

André

there is a hint if you and swampy have a talk, before he is chasing you!
-koj

Yes, I read the hint but I don't know how to use it. I collected everything to this point in the stage when I can't go any further.

Regards

André

Back