Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

I like the thought about special towers. In some other TD's they give you the option to build towers that don't fire but instead double the damage of any other tower (or turret) in it's range. This would be great for the later waves of creeps and limited space to build. Lets assume that something can be done for making it harder to get insane money from factories and harder to buy lives. in this case, space would be needed more for turrets/towers since it's really tough to go through the harder waves without losing lives. If you could put these 'firepower mulitplier' towers at prime locations on the map, you could really take on the higher level creeps! combine that with a 'slowing' tower or a 'disease tower' (this one when hitting a creep, would cause it's hitpoints to steadily decrease - more effective on slow creeps) and you'd have yourself a pretty fun modification! :D

Damage multiplier towers will definitely be in 1.2, they'll add more depth to everything. :)

I like the idea of pre-built buildings, I actually had that going in the very early versions, but scrapped it because I didn't think about a campaign mode. Campaigns will not have all buildings available from the very start, so giving the player a pre-built building he otherwise couldn't obtain would be a great bonus :)

None of these things are done yet, but I'll finish them eventually. I'll work on things at my own pace now that there isn't a deadline anymore.

Alex. said:
Damage multiplier towers will definitely be in 1.2, they'll add more depth to everything. :)

I like the idea of pre-built buildings, I actually had that going in the very early versions, but scrapped it because I didn't think about a campaign mode. Campaigns will not have all buildings available from the very start, so giving the player a pre-built building he otherwise couldn't obtain would be a great bonus :)

None of these things are done yet, but I'll finish them eventually. I'll work on things at my own pace now that there isn't a deadline anymore.
How will the Damage multiplier towers work? just over the map a permanent bonus like the factorys? or have the towers placed near existing towers to have an effect? (then, dmg towers would have an range to)

oh, by the way, your medal system could work with campaigns to, depending how good an level of the campaign was solved, kind of rank system. :) (yes, I playing to much "Advance Wars" :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
How will the Damage multiplier towers work? just over the map a permanent bonus like the factorys? or have the towers placed near existing towers to have an effect? (then, dmg towers would have an range to)
They will affect buildings on a 2 square radius around them. If I was mean, they could lose energy after each wave until they become useless and need to be rebuilt ;) I might do this 'damage degrading' thing for the Quad tower. Of course, it would start out a lot stronger than it is now.

Alex. said:
They will affect buildings on a 2 square radius around them. If I was mean, they could lose energy after each wave until they become useless and need to be rebuilt ;) I might do this 'damage degrading' thing for the Quad tower. Of course, it would start out a lot stronger than it is now.
How about having them initially working on a 1 square radius (and if your tower is a barricade with 4 squares to it, it's not included) but you can upgrade this 'damage multiplier' once to make it a 2 square radius?

Alex. said:
fusion_power said:

Sometimes I think, you wanna make the game harder on purpose, right? ;)

oh, and when you want to do all these gimmics, the game really needs mor ingame information messages, I strongly recommend an additional on-screen display or something where you always have the best overview over the status of all the buildings. :)

alex i cant wait for version 1.2! its like..you've been smoking for 10 years, and all you want is that one cigg, just that one cigg... :ph34r:

great work! i love this game, and i cant wait to see the next version

MajorShake said:
alex i cant wait for version 1.2! its like..you've been smoking for 10 years, and all you want is that one cigg, just that one cigg...
:lol:
I'm also waiting this version with all the new features :)

I'm getting there now, only three golds to go!
Just a thought, but sometimes when you buy an item, particularly for the four-square tower or a depot, it's a bit quick to jump to 'sell item'? and I've a few times made this mistake. Might be better if you couldn't sell an item until you had moved off it's square and back on to it?

I was also thinking, that an 'undo' feature might be good, for a similar reason. It should only work when you are between waves to avoid cheating...

Excellent game! I'm logging about an hour a day!

:)

Just imagine SQDEF with touchscreen :blink: :eek:

:rolleyes:

Fargo said:
Just imagine SQDEF with touchscreen :blink: :eek:

:rolleyes:
Uh, better not, because I don't have a Touchscreen F-200 and I don't want to buy one because I save my money for the complete new non-GPH Handheld. Maybe Alex want to port the Game on this machine some day? ^^ (Yes, not easy because of the much bigger screen I know)

I had an Idea for a special SQDef Gamemode: YOU controll the Creatures and not the towers. :lol: Maybe you can't directly controll the creatures but you could do breeding and raise them and trying to make strong, resistant creatures that could survive the Towers. If a creature survive a path, it gets exp. maybe and get stronger, maybe they begin some kind of immunity against special types of towers.
The goal could ba, that creatures have to survive a wave or a ammount of waves through pre defined Tower levels.
Could be interesting maybe. :)

There is no reason that controls for a touchscreen version would suddenly ignore regular controls.

The Zodiac is an excellent example. All the action games use the joystick and buttons but if you want to choose stuff on the menus you can use the touchscreen.

The touchscreen will be a problem for F100 users only when a game is based upon touchscreen input.

Hopefully I'm not going to get flamed for re-visiting an old thread but this seemed the most sensible place to put it.

I was just thinking it would be good to have a "move tower" option which would basically be a shortcut method of selling a while tower and then re-building the equivalent somewhere else. Clearly this option would only be avasilable if you had enough cash in the bank to take into account the cash you lose when selling a tower.

Just a thought.

Nice idea! :) This action could be assigned to the L button, as it seems all the rest are already used up. I'll put it on the to-do list.

Yes - good idea... I can't believe how often I play this - thanks Alex. It's also the only game I can really play after I've had a few drinks - how sad is that?

Just struggling to get gold on PJ now - has anybody done it?

At night in Bed I have the best Ideas. :lol:
I have thought about the new update, Alex mentioned a while ago. The point with the Power-Towers getting weaker over the time to controll the Game-balance was making me unhappy. This point still is a little bit unlogic for me.
I know, it's not easy to controll the balance of such an game over many rounds, but maybe I have an more smart solution for this problem.

SOME strong Towers could need AMMO and AMMO costs MONEY! This would solve many problems of balancing! :) At the beginning, we don't need strong Towers. And when we need' em, we have money for them. First, they don't need much ammo and much money, because the Creatures are weak. In higher Levels, creatures getting stronger, we getting more money and the Towers need more Ammo. Stronger Ammo, available later maybe, is more expensive etc. So we never have to much money or to overpowered Towers.
Maybe we can buy a bunch of Ammo when an Tower gets empty (aotomaticly/manal) or the ammo-money-drain is constant. Maybe there could be an special Factory which produces Ammo for surrounding Towers, so we could drop the costs of Ammo in later Levels.
Of course, only new, strong, special Towers need this, normal Turrets/Towers are like before. With good Balancing we could play up to Wave 100 this way and there is no need for mysterious power drain of Towers. :)

fusion_power said:
At night in Bed I have the best Ideas. :lol:
I have thought about the new update, Alex mentioned a while ago. The point with the Power-Towers getting weaker over the time to controll the Game-balance was making me unhappy. This point still is a little bit unlogic for me.
I know, it's not easy to controll the balance of such an game over many rounds, but maybe I have an more smart solution for this problem.

SOME strong Towers could need AMMO and AMMO costs MONEY! This would solve many problems of balancing! :) At the beginning, we don't need strong Towers. And when we need' em, we have money for them. First, they don't need much ammo and much money, because the Creatures are weak. In higher Levels, creatures getting stronger, we getting more money and the Towers need more Ammo. Stronger Ammo, available later maybe, is more expensive etc. So we never have to much money or to overpowered Towers.
Maybe we can buy a bunch of Ammo when an Tower gets empty (aotomaticly/manal) or the ammo-money-drain is constant. Maybe there could be an special Factory which produces Ammo for surrounding Towers, so we could drop the costs of Ammo in later Levels.
Of course, only new, strong, special Towers need this, normal Turrets/Towers are like before. With good Balancing we could play up to Wave 100 this way and there is no need for mysterious power drain of Towers. :)
I like.

Back