Sqdef 1.1

You indeed are insane. But this challenges me to get gold on dead mans curve too :) is there a secret when getting all medal on all maps maybe? XD

Alex. said:
@fusion: the resale value of every building gets counted for the score, so there is no reason to sell anything before finishing the last wave. I'll keep in mind adding a score calculation screen for 1.2. :)
Ok, But I was sure, that the money left over counts more than the resell value of an existing building. I tried various methods to finish a level 45 and I had the most points, when selling everything possible...but there could be another reason for the higher scores of course. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations for this great game. I've been waiting for it for a long time and it's excellent. Please keep up the good work and bring us new versions ! :)

Latest results:

The last one is quite interesting as i accumulated so many points that the score switched to negative at level 41 and such, couldn't buy any more lives! I think that considering you can easily add towers to raise more money that the bought lives could do with being more expensive - i.e. 10 times more expensive (or have an option to not allow them - like a "hard" or "insane" mode or something :) I find if I'm preoccupied earlier on in the levels to not lose any lives, I can't afford to spend my money on factories, it goes to more towers/turrets. Then because of this, I won't get insane amounts of money in the later levels. With lives costing only $350, and a bank account of $100,000, it's better to have the creeps pass many times with only one turret and the rest the "1%" factories since each "1%" factory is going to give you $1000.

Negative money, that's a shame on my part :( I'll see to it that it gets fixed in 1.2.

It's a great idea to have lives getting more expensive later in the game, maybe a $50 increase every wave would be good. Same with the factories, a $2 increase every wave.

Maybe there should be a roof for how much money you can have, too, like 50k.

Thanks for the info prairiefire :) By the way, good job on beating that Islands map, it looks tough!

Alex. said:
Negative money, that's a shame on my part :( I'll see to it that it gets fixed in 1.2.

It's a great idea to have lives getting more expensive later in the game, maybe a $50 increase every wave would be good. Same with the factories, a $2 increase every wave.

Thanks for the info prairiefire :) By the way, good job on beating that Islands map, it looks tough!
actually... i figured out a system which seems to work on all maps... making them all 'easy' The trick is to start with one earth and upgrade him as needed. finish the first boss with a fully upgraded earth and fully upgraded ice tower (oh, btw all of your extra money goes towards factories). Then you get one multi-target barricade, sell the turrets and add more factories. by the second boss, you should have enough to get a second multi-target barricade, lose one life and then you slowly add more barricades as needed, lots of factories and when you have approx $12000-$15000, you buy the 1% factories (up until $9000 is left) and repeat this process to the end. by the time you're at level 35 or so, you have way more money than you need and you don't even need to build more towers, you just ride off the interest and buy more lives. :D

prairiefire said:
Latest results:

The last one is quite interesting as i accumulated so many points that the score switched to negative at level 41 and such, couldn't buy any more lives! I think that considering you can easily add towers to raise more money that the bought lives could do with being more expensive - i.e. 10 times more expensive (or have an option to not allow them - like a "hard" or "insane" mode or something :) I find if I'm preoccupied earlier on in the levels to not lose any lives, I can't afford to spend my money on factories, it goes to more towers/turrets. Then because of this, I won't get insane amounts of money in the later levels. With lives costing only $350, and a bank account of $100,000, it's better to have the creeps pass many times with only one turret and the rest the "1%" factories since each "1%" factory is going to give you $1000.

Wow, I never had nearly that much money left over at the end (in this version of the game).... and I never tried 45 Waves on multi path maps, actually I was proud to beat wave 24 at "Islands". ^^" Really impressive work of you. :) (I should start to play SQDef again, but Advance Wars 2 on GBA got me completely addicted :lol: )

Alex. said:

:eek: nonono, please not. ^^" I even have problems with getting enough money on normal maps, not to mention multi-path maps. Please take another of the many suggestions posted here for next releases. I personally find the Depots to expensive to be useful. ;) Ok, maybe I have not the best system to play the game, I will try prairiefires method. :)

By the way, again Gratz for yout first place of the Competition. ;)

I've started playing this today, and I'm loving it!

I didn't know towers could be upgraded, so I've only reached wave 38 on the first map. :lol:

Nice job, Alex!

Thank you Metalbrain!

Reaching wave 38 without upgrades must've been pretty tedious ^_^

Alex. said:
Thank you Metalbrain!

Reaching wave 38 without upgrades must've been pretty tedious ^_^
When using only Towers after the first boss, its possible. :) I've tried the method of prairiefire and I reached wave 45 at "complicated Way" nearly only with towers. I updated turrets the first waves but it should be possible without. But I like updating :)
Oh, over 72 Million Points I've made for gold. ^^"""

yeah there's definitely a point that you hit with the 1% colonies (depots? i forget) where they will make you enough money to buy hundreds of lives without feeling it, and if you can get to that point by the 40s or earlier, then you just get to kick back and make "turret art". so dead man's curve i don't find challenging, but i barely won the gold on hot dog :)

A new idea: what if lives were priced proportionally to how much money you have, like $300 or 20%. Same with factories: $60 or 10% for Colonies, and $350 or 25% for Depots :) (whichever of the $ or % is higher)

A proper balance remains the most challenging part of making this game. It's really difficult to get things right without having after-effects in the later parts of the game. It's either too easy or too hard, or just right right until loopholes like what Prairiefire posted earlier get discovered ;)

Alex. said:
A new idea: what if lives were priced proportionally to how much money you have, like $300 or 20%. Same with factories: $60 or 10% for Colonies, and $350 or 25% for Depots :) (whichever of the $ or % is higher)
Interesting idea. What it is good for is it doesn't penalize the people who don't have a lot of cash and would find paying $350 for a life rather expensive, and it hinders the ability for someone with a ton of money being able to just 'freely' buy lives. One problem though, if I know that the 'better' I play or manage my money, the worse off I am. It now penalizes you for optimizing. Also, when finishing the game, how would you make the points reflect this? If I were to piss all my money away or buy my factories cheap (because i don't have a large bank account) would I get the same points as having bought all my factories at an expensive rate?

On a slight change of note, the game is super tough when you try not to lose lives and I think that this should be rewarded more than having a big bank account. Buying lives is currently essential to survival but maybe introducing a 'post game' point deduction for how many lives you bought? That would help the points distinguish how you played.

Actually, introducing this last point, along with your point of increasing the cost of lives and factories based on money might work together. I think you'd need to introduce really steep penalties for buying a life though.

A proper balance remains the most challenging part of making this game. It's really difficult to get things right without having after-effects in the later parts of the game. It's either too easy or too hard, or just right right until loopholes like what Prairiefire posted earlier get discovered ;)

I am finding that after wave 5 when I can first afford a barricade, I have no use for any turrets nor the sentinel tower. Just increasing their damage might not be helpful though. I think the game would benefit from each tower/turret having it's own unique power (similar to other TD games where you have slowing towers, high range towers, paralyzing towers, etc.

the depots are the deciding factor in any strategy that aims for the gold. since the reward compounds, its all about how steep you can get that growth rate curve to be, with your goal being to beat out the curve of increasing enemy toughness.

do i like this behavior? yeah. but i'm sure having different "modes" would be fun, where the difficulty is tweaked in ways that necessitate a particular strategy. i wouldn't just replace the current behavior, though, since at least one person likes it, me :D

edit: added behavior to avoid ambiguity

the_fizk said:
I got ~1.200.000.000 points on "two paths-hard" and now the game hangs everytime I try to select that level.
Can you send me Two Paths - Hard.hsc from the Hiscores folder to artraid at gmail dot com?

Thanks!

Alex. said:
the_fizk said:
I got ~1.200.000.000 points on "two paths-hard" and now the game hangs everytime I try to select that level.
Can you send me Two Paths - Hard.hsc from the Hiscores folder to artraid at gmail dot com?

Thanks!

Sure! I just sent it to you.

Back