Sqdef 1.1

Alex.

Retired
Edit July 21
Sqdef 1.1C is out. It runs faster in the later, busy levels, and fixes a number of things. Same download link.

Sqdef is a tower defense game. The goal is to prevent enemies from getting from one side of the map to the other, by placing towers along their way. There are 9 different buildings, with upgrades, tech research, difficulty levels, and a whole lot of maps to try your defense skills on!

SqDef-1-1-11.png
SqDef-1-1-2.png

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,2261

Here's the new Sqdef! Highlights are an improved game balance, hiscores, medals, improved save/loads, and a more refined appearance.
  • The game is much easier, leaving the greater challenge for the harder (multi-path) maps. Weaker enemies at the beginning, more powerful upgrades for the Ice Turret, and more powerful Barricades. The Depot gives 1% interest instead of just 0.5%.
  • Fast forward - hold R to run the game at up to 3x the normal speed (this may slow down in the later levels with a lot of buildings and creatures).
  • Map preview along with game stats are shown in the Load/Save screens. No more overwriting a saved game without knowing it!
  • A medal is awarded each time you beat a map on a certain length. Bronze for 10 waves, Silver for 24, and Gold for 45.
  • Top-3 hiscore table for each map, and for each game length.
  • Medals and hiscores are displayed in the map selector.
  • All menus have been refined, the whole game looks more polished now.
  • Screenshots are saved in Screenshots folder, and a saving message appears on-screen while writing the file.
  • One new map (Twister)
Please delete the old Sqdef installation before going ahead with this one, because some of the file formats changed. The save format changed as well, so be sure to also delete the old .sav file.

Don't forget to read the readme.txt and manual.png files for more info.

Have fun, and let me know what you think! :)

--

Edit: Here's a starter strategy guide I wrote for the previous version. The balance changed a bit since then, but overall it should still be somewhat useful.

Strategy Guide

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the first version, and I think all the changes you've made look good!
Downloading now.
Out of interest will the game have music eventually or are you going more for a silent board game-ish typa thing?

Either way great work, keep it up.
My bro and sis love it too.

wow cool. this is really a great game. and this version sounds so much better than the first version, cant wait to download it..
the first version was a little bit too differcult/hard or what you call it on english.
thanks champ. :)

Wow, great set of additions in the update - downloading now :)

Really enjoyed the first version, even though I found it a little on the hard side. Way too addictive

Planning on adding more tower types / upgrades in the future?

I`ve really been waiting for this! I was able to beat wave 35 yesterday, I hope I can get to wave 45 now :)

Thanks a lot, Alex, great work!

Great stuff. Some good changes. Managed to get through 25 waves after 2 or 3 restarts on the first map. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though considering how badly I was doing when I first played this.

Love the medal system.

:D

Nice Nice. I will test it intensive. :)
Game is much easier now? Hm, I will see. First, the new costs of Telescope and Fire Starter scare me a little bit. The Factorys are more expencive to. I think, the new update needs completely new tactics. Could be interesting. :)

Oh, can you add A Fast forward sign onscreen, when holding R Trigger? Something like >> or so. More stylish I think. ^^

Thanks for all the positive feedback everybody :)

Playdough said:
Out of interest will the game have music eventually or are you going more for a silent board game-ish typa thing?
It won't have music, at least not in the foreseeable future.

xmart said:
Planning on adding more tower types / upgrades in the future?
I'm not sure right now. Maybe I'll add damage-boosting towers, and more secret buildings, but other than that I think there's a lot right now already :)

semyaza said:
Great stuff. Some good changes. Managed to get through 25 waves after 2 or 3 restarts on the first map. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though considering how badly I was doing when I first played this.
Awesome :) The thing to look out for is that at wave 25 and wave 37 the money each creature gives is raised by $4, in addition to the periodical $1 increment, so things won't get that much tougher.

The update is fantastic Alex. I downloaded it last night to 'try' it out briefly before i had to do a bunch of work around home. 1.5 hours later, I get a call from my girlfriend asking me if i had finished all that i said i had to do before she came over. she wasn't too happy when, as she read off all the things i said i needed to do, i had accomplished none :ph34r:

(although a half hour late on dinner and a lot of scrambling, I caught up so it's all good. can't wait to play some more later!) :D

Glad you like it :) I think it's still a bit too hard though, on the multi-pathed maps at least... we'll see.

I finally beat wave 45 :D

SqDef-won45.png

THANKYOU !!
This is some incredible work you have done !
This game is easily the best looking and most polished game on the 2x !

I'd like to see an unlimited wave feature though.

Alex. said:
Glad you like it :) I think it's still a bit too hard though, on the multi-pathed maps at least... we'll see.

I finally beat wave 45 :D

SqDef-won45.png
How many tries? I needed 2 ;) First, on "Double T" I reached only wave 43 because of wrong Depot Management. (To expensive I think)). Then I tried the new "Twister" (nice map) and won. GOLD MEDAL 1831791 Pts:

twisterfinalle7.png

Yes I loosed many lives. Mean: 2 hard Round Enemy Waves at the end! :p
How do I win Silver and Bronze Medals? :lol:

Maybe, you should add a ingame Score display. Its not the best solution to show the scores only at the end. There is no response for what we get scores. permanent scoreboard and after each wave a Window wich displays added Bonuspoints would give the game more overview and feedback. I really want to know, for what I get scores and how much. (such a window after each wave could be useful for BOSS warnings to ^^ )

Oh, would be useful, if the screenshot function would work at the VICTORY screen. ;)

P.S.: Why do the last enemy give money? ^^

Alex, this game is awesome. I have wasted far too long on the shitter playing through until I realised I've messed up and have to start over. Way too addictive.

Very impressed with all the competition entries I've played (bit behind because my PC blew up when the house was stuck by lightning), but so far this would get my personal vote. It might not be the most original entry, but in terms of execution, presentation and all the rest you've got it spot on mate.

Back