Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

Hi JyCet, I'm glad you like it! That's a good idea with the particle effects, I'll put that in the todo list for 1.2. By the way, what about alpha effects? You mean, for the particles?

Also, let me compliment you on Glouton, it's one of the most-played games on my SD. It is very polished, and the pacman controls really make it a lot of fun to play. I like the level designs too, I think I got to 10 or 11 :)

I think the 4x speed apple is too much though, how about 3x instead? The only thing you can do with a 4x one is wait for it to expire, or maybe it's just me lacking reflexes ;)

JyCet said:
Alex. could I suggess you to add some particules effects in explosions and/or bullets contacts ? ;)
With fixed point the cpu cost is very very low :)

Edit: The gp2x have lot of memory, you can use it to precalculate alpha effect and in the game use it like a normal sprite :)
It's only some ideas ;)
Otherwise your game are really great !! :D
People say Alpha Effects+GP2X=baaaad Idea. ^^
Since the last update, SQDef runs good, even at heavy shooting and at 166MHz, nicely done, Alex. :) More effects could destroy the performance, maybe. Ok, I dreamed about a semi-transparent Ingame Menu so we always see, whats behind the menus....but I can live without that. I also had the Idea of fragmentation effects of big bullets, maybe Cluster bullets, when hitting an enemy. Visual Splash Damage... ;)

But the current Turrets/towers are good like they are. The new ICE turret is nice. I noticed, he's the only turret with more firepower per update than the standard Firepower of this turret, so every Turret has its own unique skills now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a GP2X. Loaded up this game. It is amazing how much depth this game has. I showed a few people and the found it very fun running through the 10 waves on the first map.

- If possible, Use the L button to bring up an overlay of what each button does in context of what menu/screen they are in. I had to repeatedly remind people what each button does.

- Multiple player profiles and modes, ie Novice, Normal, Master. Maps and wave count would be for each. Then have a % of how complete you are. My wife and I competed with Brain Age Suduku since it had player profiles and % of completion. We had fun and a game like this would benefit imo with this type of feature.

Thank you for a very fun and deep game!!

Hey Fueler, thanks for the feedback :) You're right about a screen with all the buttons, maybe it should be an option in the menu that appears when you press Start in-game. I also plan to add a general help option under the info menu in Sqdef's main menu, maybe with a little tutorial and everything.

I'll think about different profiles, what do you mean by % of completion? When the map editor will be included (1.2), you will no longer have a fixed amount of maps on your hands. You can delete the ones you don't like or need right now, so a completion percentage other than per-map would be a tad confusing, and maps already have medals and hiscores to indicate that. Maybe I got it wrong though. I'm glad you found it deep, look out for 1.2, that will hopefully improve on a lot of things :)

Hi norm, I didn't have any free time to work on anything I like lately, and won't do for a while :( Besides, I want 1.2 to be a serious update, with better balance, on-GP2X map editor, help menus, all that jazz.

Alex. said:
Hi norm, I didn't have any free time to work on anything I like lately, and won't do for a while :( Besides, I want 1.2 to be a serious update, with better balance, on-GP2X map editor, help menus, all that jazz.
oh well i'll have to survive with 1.1D how will i cope? lol :p

EDIT: will there be a story mode?

indeed it would - nd music???? lol - for me that would really make the game more enjoyable, not that it isnt already amazing - any chance?

EDIT: soz i know iv asked a few times before

Alex. said:
You are busy with your prizes from the Contest, right? ;)

Uh, Ingame help would be good. I think this also could be solves with some hints in the menus, what what option does if the space is enough for this, like in the upgrade menu a description, what the A Button does etc.

Plus, you could add Info-Windows after each wave where you can see descriptions about the next wave, maybe a Boss-warning and for Storymode Names for the creatures maybe? ^^

Hi Alex.

Many thanks for this sweet game!
I also reviewed on the Dutch forums.
They also love the game.

First I thought it looked boring, but it is all about the gameplay!
Very very much fun!

Again thanks and looking forward for the new version.

Ciao :)

Alex. said:
Hey Fueler, thanks for the feedback :) You're right about a screen with all the buttons, maybe it should be an option in the menu that appears when you press Start in-game. I also plan to add a general help option under the info menu in Sqdef's main menu, maybe with a little tutorial and everything.

I'll think about different profiles, what do you mean by % of completion? When the map editor will be included (1.2), you will no longer have a fixed amount of maps on your hands. You can delete the ones you don't like or need right now, so a completion percentage other than per-map would be a tad confusing, and maps already have medals and hiscores to indicate that. Maybe I got it wrong though. I'm glad you found it deep, look out for 1.2, that will hopefully improve on a lot of things :)

I was thinking of what you mentioned below, campaigns. A predefined set of maps and waves that come standard with the game. The first campaign would consist of novice maps with wave limit set to 10. Other campaigns would include more waves and different maps. With each release of sqdef you could take what you consider the best user maps and combine them into a new campaign to come standard with the game. The standardization allows for people to discuss strategies and even develop strategy guides. Therefore, building a tighter community.

With the campaigns since they are predefined a percentage done can be determined, a nice progress meter. The profiles allow multiple users to play the game and easily save a game without overwriting another persons save games. Also, in a single household where multiple people would play the game it generate more discussion about the game if they see someone else with a higher percentage.

Great idea, profiles for campaigns would be great, and single maps could keep hiscores combined for everyone. For campaigns I was also thinking of 'special' missions besides the standard, such as kill all enemies but the first, or build a certain building within a certain number of waves. All kinds of interesting things can be made.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone :)

Alex. said:
Great idea, profiles for campaigns would be great, and single maps could keep hiscores combined for everyone. For campaigns I was also thinking of 'special' missions besides the standard, such as kill all enemies but the first, or build a certain building within a certain number of waves. All kinds of interesting things can be made.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone :)

The idea of a Challenge mode would be great. Anyway, off to play some.

Again, i have to say i love this game even if it makes me feel like a dumb shit because i'm not able to beat 45 waves while everybody here seems to do it with their arms tied :)

ak_ said:
Again, i have to say i love this game even if it makes me feel like a dumb shit because i'm not able to beat 45 waves while everybody here seems to do it with their arms tied :)
Don't forget to upgrade turrets and build factories as soon as possible (but not in excessive numbers, 2 or 3 after a boss wave is enough).

By the way, make sure you have the latest version (1.1D), the original GBAX version is much harder.

Hey, in Campaigns, there could be things added which doesn't fit into normal gamemode. Something like the restricted area, places on the map where you can't build Turrets (via stones or so). And there could be goals to kill a wave as early as possible, in Campaigns could be special unique towers, maybe already placed with special functions or AI towers where you have to kill more enemies as your AI opponent for example....could be very interesting. :)
Maybe some kind of splitscreen with equal paths and equal waves and you have to kill your wave faster than the AI. Many possible Scenarios for the Campaign.

In Fusion_power thoughts.... ;)

What about special spots that deliver double firepower?
But they are only usefull if you upgrade you guns because of the range?

Or slowdown spots for the enemy, so you can build you turrents around there.
Or speed ups...?

I really love the game as it is offcourse :D

RX Shorty said:
In Fusion_power thoughts.... ;)

What about special spots that deliver double firepower?
But they are only usefull if you upgrade you guns because of the range?

Or slowdown spots for the enemy, so you can build you turrents around there.
Or speed ups...?

I really love the game as it is offcourse :D
Nice ides with these "spots". :) there could be many possible functions for towers or effects on enemies etc.
Maybe to make these spots available you need a special tower who shots the special area free, or with a secret combination of various standard Turrets or something like this.

And maybe in the future, Alex is able to add Maps with bridges so we really could have amazing map designs. :)

fusion_power said:
Nice ides with these "spots". :) there could be many possible functions for towers or effects on enemies etc.
Maybe to make these spots available you need a special tower who shots the special area free, or with a secret combination of various standard Turrets or something like this.

And maybe in the future, Alex is able to add Maps with bridges so we really could have amazing map designs. :)
We are daydreaming... maybe Alex. can do something with it ?! ;)

Time will tell.
Again thanks Alex.!

Back