Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

Thanks! :)

A_SN said:
Quiest said:
Awesome :) and congrats on GURU status, well deserved!
Oh, what earned him this status? Some mod to love sqdef? I hope not ;)

Your love, baby :)

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats alex. i was gone for a week and have seen that there was a lot of work done :D when i meant 'double upgrade' i was referring to the last upgrade being equivalent to 2 upgrades (i.e. if an upgrade is 4 damage points and 5% increase in attack area, then a double upgrade would be 8 damage points and 10% increase in attack area) it appears there has been a bit more tweaking with the balance so i'll have a go with it. sounds like the balance may be solved though :D

I just updated 1.1 on the archive, I'll post a news article when the file gets approved :)

Great game Alex. I cant wait for 1.1 to be approved. I haven't read this entire thread so spare me, but is there a level editor in the works?

EDIT: And for some reason, it wont launch from gmenu2x, I have to exit out of the gmenu2x and go into the gp2x's standard gui.

EDIT2: Also, one suggestion, maybe have R toggle speedup, instead of having to hold R. As, I feel as if my R button is wearing out and becoming looser the more I play this TD with holding R.

I use it in Gmenu2x 0.8 and tried it once from 0.9, and it worked fine. I have no idea what could cause that, anywho try 1.1, maybe the problem magically fixed itself :D

An on-GP2X map editor is coming in 1.2

Alex. said:
I use it in Gmenu2x 0.8 and tried it once from 0.9, and it worked fine. I have no idea what could cause that, anywho try 1.1, maybe the problem magically fixed itself :D

An on-GP2X map editor is coming in 1.2
Thats good news because I mentioned, that I can't edit the mapfile any longer. ^^""
Do you still thinking about the Idea with the bridges? :)

fusion_power said:
Do you still thinking about the Idea with the bridges? :)
Sure, but I don't promise anything too soon :)

I finally made it to try it out yesterday and the game's really great!
I have the bronze and silver medals of the first three maps and it keep pushing me forward.

I will put an review upon my site tomorrow or something like that.

Nognir said:
I finally made it to try it out yesterday and the game's really great!
I have the bronze and silver medals of the first three maps and it keep pushing me forward.

I will put an review upon my site tomorrow or something like that.
Cool, be sure to post a link here :)

Nognir said:
Alex. said:
Cool, be sure to post a link here :)
Here we go :)
Planet Gamepark Review

the review is in German but the Rating should be obvious for everyone ;)

Nice review. :) But SQDef has more than 9 levels and the factorys bring the money not in relation to killed enemies. Factorys giving a fix value (and fix interest) of money, independent of killed enemies ;)

the editor is gonna be sweet - how long till 1.2?

also have you thought of adding a desktop td style level with no set path and you make the path using turrets? cos that would be awesome

congrats on the guru stat - truly deserved

This game looks great, and is one reason I bought my gp2x, however I can't get it to run! It freezes at the loading screen, and forces me to restart the system. I have FW 3.0, and game is running from a kingston 2gb card. Has anyone else had this problem, and or know how to fix it?

Yup. This game is pretty much perfect. I think the game balance is pretty much spot on. It's not too hard that you get fed up and it's not too easy that you whizz through it...well imo, anyway.

FlippantBird said:
This game looks great, and is one reason I bought my gp2x, however I can't get it to run! It freezes at the loading screen, and forces me to restart the system. I have FW 3.0, and game is running from a kingston 2gb card. Has anyone else had this problem, and or know how to fix it?
Are you sure it's frozen. How long did you wait? The first time I put the first update on it took longer than normal to startup. I cant remember how long though but it made me wonder at the time. I guess it might have been writing a config file. Perhaps put a fresh copy on and try again.

When you say that it freezes at the loading screen - make sure you're waiting for a while, because it writes hiscore files for all maps (all 18 of them), and that isn't very fast (depends on what card you have). That only happens the very first time you run it though, afterwards the game loads in ~2 seconds.

I'll make sure to add status messages on the loading screen for version 1.2.

I thought it might be a slow first load, so I let it it sit for a good half hour, and nothing happened. It turns out that a lot of games aren't working for me... SquidgeSNES and SuperTux also freeze, and Ruckman crashes back to the main menu :(

FlippantBird said:
I thought it might be a slow first load, so I let it it sit for a good half hour, and nothing happened. It turns out that a lot of games aren't working for me... SquidgeSNES and SuperTux also freeze, and Ruckman crashes back to the main menu :(
Are you using an alternative menu/OS ?

Alex. could I suggess you to add some particules effects in explosions and/or bullets contacts ? ;)
With fixed point the cpu cost is very very low :)

Edit: The gp2x have lot of memory, you can use it to precalculate alpha effect and in the game use it like a normal sprite :)
It's only some ideas ;)
Otherwise your game are really great !! :D

Back