Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
Could you describe how you place, select and upgrade the towers, is it all with the stick or do you also use shortcuts (like L/R button)?
Thanks for the teaser thread ;)
So far everything is done with the stick and the action buttons. You toggle the hud on and off with the Y button. You browse through the icons with the stick, and select with B and cancel with X. Doing this is very fluid, so I didn't see a need for shortcuts (yet). You select the spot to build the tower on the map with the stick, and press B to build it, or X to cancel it. Upgrading will be for all buildings of a certain class, not on a per-tower basis. However, pressing B on a tower on the map will allow you to see its fire range and sell it.

I don't know when the first release will be ready, because there's still a lot to do, despite it looking fairly playable. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Will it be open source or will you port it to the psp?

I'm really looking forward to that, good luck with all the coding =)

Alex. posted on Mar 17 2007 at 10:47 PM said:
So far everything is done with the stick and the action buttons. You toggle the hud on and off with the Y button. You browse through the icons with the stick, and select with B and cancel with X. Doing this is very fluid, so I didn't see a need for shortcuts (yet). You select the spot to build the tower on the map with the stick, and press B to build it, or X to cancel it. Upgrading will be for all buildings of a certain class, not on a per-tower basis. However, pressing B on a tower on the map will allow you to see its fire range and sell it.

Thanks for your answer, I guess you're right if moving with the stick is fluid shortcuts are not needed.

Alex. posted on Mar 17 2007 at 10:47 PM said:
Upgrading will be for all buildings of a certain class, not on a per-tower basis.

I like the upgrading on per-tower basis of the original. Have to see if this approach is as much fun.

* waiting patiently *

I also like the idea of upgrading on a per tower basis also. One concern is that although it could be very fluid in upgrading/changing anything, I think that having the 'last action used' should remain ON until you cancel. For example, if you were trying to upgrade certain towers in a panic (because you weren't prepared for the harder level initially) you will want to have the upgrades done as soon as possible, every second lost trying to repeat the same action over and over could be costly :)

SqDef-pic6-661.png
SqDef-pic2-354.png

I finally got a linked list going for the bullets, so now there is potential for infinitely (RAM permitting) many :) There was a nasty chain of bugs that, coupled with other work, stalled progress considerably. Things are back on track now, and I can proceed checking things off my to-do list.

The great thing though, is that I finally got more practice with dynamic memory management, something I have very little experience with, and which will be very useful for Slick.

More updates will follow, sooner this time :) http://artraid.com/alex/

god, this looks amazing. I really want to play this...

Alex. said:
SqDef-pic6-661.png
SqDef-pic2-354.png

Amazing amount of bullets :)
I've said it before and I will say it again, this is IMO the most exciting, non emu, homebrew project.
Keep up the good work!

b._.o._.b said:
Alex. said:
SqDef-pic6-661.png
SqDef-pic2-354.png

Amazing amount of bullets :)
I've said it before and I will say it again, this is IMO the most exciting, non emu, homebrew project.
Keep up the good work!

1. IMO? emo? you know?
2. more exciting than slick!? :angry:

purple_goat said:
1. IMO? emo? you know?
2. more exciting than slick!? :angry:
1. google
2. definitely more exciting! IM(in this case not so h)O of course

Interesting game Idea. I never played such Type of game but I can imagine, that it could be fun. :lol:
When will ther be a release?

Thanks for the kind words, really means a lot :)

fusion_power said:
When will ther be a release?
Now I'm on Wave 3 of my to-do list. Once I'll complete Wave 5, I'll release a small demo. The last wave is Wave 8.

Wave? :lol: Well, good surfing! ;)

I only have one suggestion: Don't make the game to complex (at the start), so beginners like me can start stressfree ^^ Small ingame help here and there, tutorials or descriptions of the options, towers, what what does etc. can very improve a game experience. Me for myself reads readme's but I know not everybody do so :)

errr... I am confused... is the game already released? :huh:

*edit* damn, seems it has not been :(

reiboul said:
errr... I am confused... is the game already released? :huh:

*edit* damn, seems it has not been :(
Not yet, there are still things to be done: upgrading, researching, levels, and some minor tidbits.

This evening I got selling turrets done. Pressing B over a turret selects it (first screenshot). Pressing X cancels the selection, while pressing B again brings up the selling window

SqDef-pic3-820.png
SqDef-pic0-819.png

Edit: changed sell window design.

Suggestion: Make a toggle or something so that you could see the ranges of a tower or all towers to know which ones to upgrade/ where to place more. (or is there already a way other than placing it?)

EDIT: Wow excuse my ignorance on seeing a single towers range, is there a way to see all at once, or all of once class at once etc?

Alex, please make sure this game does not slow down when there are many enemies on screen. The other one runs like 1 frame/sec when you go deep in game!

Fargo said:
Alex, please make sure this game does not slow down when there are many enemies on screen. The other one runs like 1 frame/sec when you go deep in game!
SqDef-pic2-354.png

^ This one with a dozen enemies, lots and lots of buildings, and ~400 bullets runs at 12fps. Such a high number of both turrets and bullets will likely never be reached, since I purposely set the range of every turret to cover the entire map, as a stress test. Also, the rendering is currently done with software SDL (the hardware one has those occasional artifacts, so if that'll be fixed, I'll immediately switch to it :).

Edit:
Just for laughs, I got it working down at 2fps :lol: *dreams of the thousands of bullets that will never be*
sqdefsilly.png

Back