Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

Alex. said:
Fargo said:
Alex, please make sure this game does not slow down when there are many enemies on screen. The other one runs like 1 frame/sec when you go deep in game!
SqDef-pic2-354.png

^ This one with a dozen enemies, lots and lots of buildings, and ~400 bullets runs at 12fps. Such a high number of both turrets and bullets will likely never be reached, since I purposely set the range of every turret to cover the entire map, as a stress test. Also, the rendering is currently done with software SDL (the hardware one has those occasional artifacts, so if that'll be fixed, I'll immediately switch to it :).

:blink:

KILLER!!
(just please release it, no vapor ware this time okay? *slick*)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackd said:
which other time are you referring to where something was vaporware?
I think he's referring to slick, another cool project that Alex is working on. He sometimes forgets programming costs time and energy. At this moment Alex is more motivated to work on this and I think that's a good choice, but if he decides to change in favor of another project, who are we to stop him?
In this case... I've said it before and I will say it a.... (ok maybe I will say it again next time ;) )

Anyway the progress of the project looks great. Keep the bullets coming, and I hope that wave 4 will hit the gp32x.de board soon.

good god, purple goat you can be really flipping annoying.
anyways, this is going to be awesome. It's good to hear that it runs fast with no serious slowdowns. Those slow downs kept me from playing tower2x more than a couple of time which is really sad, as it is a good conversion aswell.

nothing by alex is vaporware he just takes his time to make quality games. airplayr and downfall are probably my 2 most played homebrew games on gp2x. I'm sure this will be at least as good.

alex: you're using software sdl? isnt that comparably extremely slow? i remember testing openbor when it used software sdl compared to hardware and there was a huge difference and i don't remember that having wierd artifacts or flicker or anything. but yeah your other games did have those problems.

anyway good luck with your projects and work on whatever you feel like.

SqDef-pic1-787.png
SqDef-pic0-366.png

- the creatures’ path can now start and end at any side of the screen
- the creatures’ life is displayed in a little green bar on top of them (you can toggle this on/off with the Select button)
- support for differently coloured maps (see screenshot)

Next I'll focus on game content: levels, advanced and special turrets, etc.

Alex. said:
- the creatures’ life is displayed in a little green bar on top of them (you can toggle this on/off with the Select button)

thank god for health bars!
they have saved me many times :p

coming along well isn't it?

EDIT:tpyso :p

Alex. said:
SqDef-pic1-787.png
SqDef-pic0-366.png

Will there be more than one possible way per level? Would be funny if the creatures could choice between two paths at the beginning so if you place the towers along the wrong wone -eeeeek Bad, unlucky day :lol:

And maybe it would be visible more clearly, if creatures have another shape than the towers, maybe circles or triangles, hexagons but NO squares. :)

Will there be only projectiles/bullets with the same shape or something else like Rockets, Lasers, Mortar, Banana-bombs...whatever... ;)

fusion_power said:
Will there be more than one possible way per level? Would be funny if the creatures could choice between two paths at the beginning so if you place the towers along the wrong wone -eeeeek Bad, unlucky day :lol:
Correct me if i'm wrong but it shouldn't matter what side/end the creatures start on. The turrets only shoot within their circle and thus cover the same certain path regardless of the creature direction. Assuming the creatures are the same speed no matter what side/end they start, they'll have the same amount of time crossing the turrets circular area. (That is of course unless you don't have enough turrents to begin with and you're risking narrowly killing them off :) )

fusion_power said:
no, I meant 2 different ways starting from one junction maybe from left to right where the paths split in the middle or so. :)
Done, thanks for the great suggestion, fusion! It will definitely make certain maps a lot more challenging :)

SqDef-pic0-494.png
SqDef-pic1-647.png

The herd of creatures chooses a random path every time it wraps around the screen.

Alex. said:
Done, thanks for the great suggestion, fusion! It will definitely make certain maps a lot more challenging :)

SqDef-pic0-494.png
SqDef-pic1-647.png

The herd of creatures chooses a random path every time it wraps around the screen.

*big huge grin icon*
I'm not that great at this game but I am really looking forward to this. Love the abstract take on the idea.
This is going to make it somewhat harder, damn you Fusion! ;)
Always up for a challenge those.

Keep up the VERY promising work Alex. (like you need any telling!)

If GBAX2007 will allow private beta testing, then sure, I'll PM some betas around.

Alex. said:
If GBAX2007 will allow private beta testing, then sure, I'll PM some betas around.

OOooo, OOoo, me, me...
[fx: BenScar jumps around like a loon]
(That's if they allow beta testing, wouldn't want to spoil your chances!)

Know what you mean about impatient Destructo2000 ;)

Edit, spelling.

Back