Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

If private betas are allowed... count me in! This is going to be a killer app.

Count me in too for some private beta testing :)

no, I meant 2 different ways starting from one junction maybe from left to right where the paths split in the middle or so. smile.gif

Ahh... Great suggestion fusion_power! The original flash game that this is based off of, I felt was hindered by having only one basic plan of attack for high-scores. With the ability for the game to have randomness, I can't wait to play AND to hear people's experiences in the homebrew section!

Alex. said:
fusion_power said:
no, I meant 2 different ways starting from one junction maybe from left to right where the paths split in the middle or so. :)
Done, thanks for the great suggestion, fusion! It will definitely make certain maps a lot more challenging :)

SqDef-pic0-494.png
SqDef-pic1-647.png

The herd of creatures chooses a random path every time it wraps around the screen.

I had a good idea?... :blink: ...uh, I mean of course I had a good Idea :lol:
Well, I never played such a type of game and I don't know how everything works together but maybe such more complex levles should be come later in the game and not at the beginning :) N00bs like me need a chance to see more than the first level :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
If you never played a TD game before, this flash version is a great place to start :)
Hey, THATS FUN! :) Really great game. I could reach Level 35 without loosing one life. Maybe I have a little bit of talent. Rocket Launchers rule! :lol:
I hope, your game will have such sounds to, like this Flash-Game. Bam! Bam! Bam! :lol:

BenScar said:
Alex. said:
If you never played a TD game before, this flash version is a great place to start :)
Have you seen his "latest" version?
It's here if you want to try it out :) Very polished.

Edit: But don't let the boss catch you..... Like mine just did... Opps.
I saw it this morning, I was very curious how he'd top his first one. It looks great, although I personally think it's a bit too busy for a browser game (I experience slight overall slowdowns, but that's probably because of my old laptop). It would be cool if he made a Flash executable and distributed it as a standalone, but I suppose the CandyStand sponsors would be gone then.
I've done some more work on Sqdef, and accomplished multiple road bifurcations (as well as fixed some ugly bugs):

SqDef-pic7-602.png
SqDef-pic10-746.png

BenScar said:
Alex. said:
Have you seen his "latest" version?
It's here if you want to try it out :) Very polished.

Edit: But don't let the boss catch you..... Like mine just did... Opps.
This Game seems a little bit to big to load for my 56k Modem :lol: I could download the .swf file with flashget like the smaller Game (lvl. 36 - 2361 pts by the way ;) ) but the bigger Game don't run offline without the homepage arround I think. :(
Well, but we have SQDEF some day I think. :) Can't wait. Another couple of questions to Alex. from me:
-are all the levels in your game static? Or will there be some kind of random generated levels/settings, endless game, etc.?
- do enemies drop more money, if they are killed as soon as possible in a map? (So you earn less and less money if they can go a long way through the maps.)
-will there be powerful ROCKET LAUNCHERS ingame? BFG-towers wohld be nice to. :lol:
-are the graphics Sprites or polygon based?

fusion_power said:
-are all the levels in your game static? Or will there be some kind of random generated levels/settings, endless game, etc.?
They are static. There's no setting or game modes yet, but there will be both endless and story modes. I don't want random maps, I like having total control over the design.

fusion_power said:
- do enemies drop more money, if they are killed as soon as possible in a map? (So you earn less and less money if they can go a long way through the maps.)
That's a nice idea, I'll make sure to implement it. I think there should be a floor to how low the reward gets over time, so that shooting them early will be a bonus rather than shooting them late be a penalty.

fusion_power said:
-will there be powerful ROCKET LAUNCHERS ingame? BFG-towers wohld be nice to. :lol:
:D

fusion_power said:
-are the graphics Sprites or polygon based?
Sprites, polygons would be too slow to render.

Thanx for the awnsers. :) Like I sayed in another thread, Ideas and bugs I deliver for free ;)
Nice, that you like the Idea with the money drain. But it shouldn't be a to hard punishment, more a additional bonus than a penalty.
so the ingame Sprites are...Sprites, ok. :) I thought many Sprites are harder to handle for the GP2X than simple calculated polygon squares. But for the look of the game it doesn't matter. i like this simple Style, it has much overview and I think it will not stress my 56k Modem, when I am able to download the whole game. :)

Alex. said:
I saw it this morning, I was very curious how he'd top his first one. It looks great, although I personally think it's a bit too busy for a browser game (I experience slight overall slowdowns, but that's probably because of my old laptop).
Looks great as you say. I was about to say some of the enemies slowed down for me too, then I realised I'd used the "spalsh"/slow down towers!

Alex. said:
It would be cool if he made a Flash executable and distributed it as a standalone, but I suppose the CandyStand sponsors would be gone then.
That would be good, wonder if there's anyway it can be borrowed off the page.
Where did I put that Flash de-complier... :)

Alex. said:
I've done some more work on Sqdef, and accomplished multiple road bifurcations (as well as fixed some ugly bugs)
Sweet... That's going to be one hell of a game level when we get our eager sticky mits on :)

I'm sure you've said before (but I'm lazy ;) ) but how will the levels be stored for the game?

Story levels are compiled in-game. One day I'll learn how to browse and select external files, and have a separate menu for user-created maps, and have a on-GP2X map editor. No promises on that though ;) - definitely not on the first release

Alex. said:
Story levels are compiled in-game.
*smile* So no tampering with those ones then! ;-)

Alex. said:
One day I'll learn how to browse and select external files
:) I'll have a play, I can read files no problem. Listing them... Different matter!!

Alex. said:
and have a separate menu for user-created maps, and have a on-GP2X map editor. No promises on that though ;) - definitely not on the first release
hehehehehe, Would you like a spade to dig that hole a little deeper for yourself? ;)

A buddy of mine had some suggestions for the game:
-upgrated Towers could have another graphic or something to see that the tower is an upgrated version
-Damage of Towers shown in effective damage per second (or better: effective damage in 5 Seconds or so)
-Towers who can make damage on many enemies (splash damage)
-pause function
-PC version (he has no GP2X ^^ )

just suggestions. ;)

Would it be mean, if some enemies could fire back? :lol: I think so, because repairing Towers is not that fun. ;)

-upgrated Towers could have another graphic or something to see that the tower is an upgrated version
good idea

-Damage of Towers shown in effective damage per second (or better: effective damage in 5 Seconds or so)
what?

if alex could do it he should

-pause function
:lol:

Would it be mean, if some enemies could fire back? :lol: I think so, because repairing Towers is not that fun. ;)[/quote]
please no!!!

edit: problem with quotes

BenScar said:
hehehehehe, Would you like a spade to dig that hole a little deeper for yourself? ;)

:D

fusion_power said:
In order to keep the game interesting, there will be quite a few upgrades... Too many graphics for a single turret type would be confusing. The way it (almost) is now, you click a turret, its range is displayed, you click it again, and you get to a panel that allows you to upgrade it, or sell it.

fusion_power said:
I think that would be too confusing. Right now it displays the damage per shot.

fusion_power said:
Sure, there will be many fun turrets :)

fusion_power said:
Would it be mean, if some enemies could fire back?
That's a neat idea, although it may not happen in this particular version of the game.
Thanks for the ideas, everything begins to take shape and come together. Right now I'm working on the map editor.

I don't think that the enemies should be able to fire back. I think the game would get too hectical then.

If you want to display the level of the turrets, why don't you implement a feature (For example when showing the range of ALL turrets at the same time) that colours them in a certain range from green to red. Red being the most advanced (upgraded) turret. Not sure if this would look good though... maybe you could also show little white numbers on the turrets indicating the upgrade level or something similar.

Back