Sqdef 1.4

Does anyone else notice the background hiss when certain audio samples play?

For instance, killing a ...thing... will have a background hiss (that keeps on after the sample pays). Where as selecting between two towers will only play the sound and the hiss stops when the sample stops.

This is also different behavior from 1.3 (which I've played to death), so the changes are likely in the audio code.

(I've got a Mk.2 F-100 btw. and LOW impedance headphones)

The default audio also seems to be higher.

If this is some internal constant, could a command line switch be added to play it without the higher amplification (if thats the difference)?

Otherwise I think its a major improvement on the original.

Series-8 said:
Does anyone else notice the background hiss when certain audio samples play?

For instance, killing a ...thing... will have a background hiss (that keeps on after the sample pays). Where as selecting between two towers will only play the sound and the hiss stops when the sample stops.

This is also different behavior from 1.3 (which I've played to death), so the changes are likely in the audio code.
Yes, I noticed this, and in previous versions too. I always meant to take a look at the samples and see if any clean up is needed there. It slipped my mind though because I rarely use headphones, but I'll have a look this evening. Thanks for letting me know.

Series-8 said:
The default audio also seems to be higher.

The volume defaults at 3% of the maximum mixer volume, which you can set through Gmenu2x :)

PokeParadox said:
Would it be possible to give a like a demo mode/tutorial... I want to see the scythe in action but I suck :p :D
I'll post a save game you can load, unless someone else does it first :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice game, but for me it's too addictive... ;) Would be nice to have someday some music playing, maybe MODs. There would be enough ppl contributing music to this game, I think.

PokeParadox said:
anexanhume said:
Great game even better now. Too bad I'm horrible at it and can't get past wave 35.
Better than me, furthest I can get is 31... I get a few quad towers out and then I can't keep up with the enemies :(

Tip: Upgrade Colonies instead of buying new ones, upgrades are cheaper.

Tip 2: Research Ice Pick as soon as possible

Tip 3: Exploit automatic upgrades, don't upgrade turrets to more than Level 4 (second-last level, 4 dots)

Tip 4: I purposefully made the high-end turrets and low-end towers cover the entire range of creature types - build diversely between these four.

Hm, I've never used this new Auto-Update feature. Maybe, because I build only a few turrets at the beginning and do a full update, I should try to build more turrets with less updates, maybe a better way for multi-path maps. :lol:

Another hints to survive till Level 60
-avoid multi-Path maps
-play maps with alot "U-turns" (mostly all of MY maps :D )
-spend every free Dollar in Colonies and update them first, then buy new ones. If you make enough money with Colonies (at least 1000 each round), spend the money and buy Depots. Keep the money under 3000 or so, so the Depots stay at $280. Wait for a fat enemy, then sell ALL Colonies, have at least $6000 or more Money left and at least 25 depots, after killing the Enemy, the depots make the money explode after a few waves. :D Before the enemy dies, you still can buy Depots for $280, the price rises only after the enemy has died. Don't buy Depots after the money-explosion.
With only Depots, you should keep the money over 10000 and more each wave, never buy more Towers than you need. better loose some lives, they are cheap and can buyed later when you have more money.

This tactic may not work on maps with small building space.

Here's an update that seems to get rid of the headphone background hiss after playing certain sound effects. Download Sqdef and Sqdef.sfx and put them in the Sqdef folder (overwrite any older Sqdef file). I'd appreciate it if both F-100 and F-200 users confirmed that it works.

Thank you! :)

fusion_power said:
Hm, I've never used this new Auto-Update feature. Maybe, because I build only a few turrets at the beginning and do a full update, I should try to build more turrets with less updates, maybe a better way for multi-path maps. :lol:

Another hints to survive till Level 60
-avoid multi-Path maps
-play maps with alot "U-turns" (mostly all of MY maps :D )
-spend every free Dollar in Colonies and update them first, then buy new ones. If you make enough money with Colonies (at least 1000 each round), spend the money and buy Depots. Keep the money under 3000 or so, so the Depots stay at $280. Wait for a fat enemy, then sell ALL Colonies, have at least $6000 or more Money left and at least 25 depots, after killing the Enemy, the depots make the money explode after a few waves. :D Before the enemy dies, you still can buy Depots for $280, the price rises only after the enemy has died. Don't buy Depots after the money-explosion.
With only Depots, you should keep the money over 10000 and more each wave, never buy more Towers than you need. better loose some lives, they are cheap and can buyed later when you have more money.

This tactic may not work on maps with small building space.
Some of these sound like good sense!
I tried some of the tips that Alex suggested too... I'm still only getting to around L30 (but I did not realise you could upgrade colonies!)

Been having a lot of fun playing this latest version. The game is so ridiculously polished, I want to show it to everyone.

Alex. said:
Here's an update that seems to get rid of the headphone background hiss after playing certain sound effects. Download this file and overwrite the old one. I'd appreciate it if both F-100 and F-200 users confirmed that it works.

When I try this update the game won't even start. :(

jbrodack said:
Alex. said:
Here's an update that seems to get rid of the headphone background hiss after playing certain sound effects. Download Sqdef and Sqdef.sfx and put them in the Sqdef folder (overwrite any older Sqdef file). I'd appreciate it if both F-100 and F-200 users confirmed that it works.

Sorry about that, give it another try now, I just put up a newer file. Do you have an F-200?

Alex. said:
jbrodack said:
Alex. said:
Here's an update that seems to get rid of the headphone background hiss after playing certain sound effects. Download this file and overwrite the old one. I'd appreciate it if both F-100 and F-200 users confirmed that it works.

Sorry about that, give it another try now, I just put up a newer file. Do you have an F-200?

thank you for this update, I tried that file but the game doesn´t start (f-100 fw 3.0.0)

^_^

Download Sqdef and Sqdef.sfx and put them in the Sqdef folder (overwrite any older Sqdef file).

Sorry about the old file, I forgot to test it. Anywho, this should get rid of the headphone hiss, at least it does on my F-100 :)

When running (from terminal) the new binary I get:

CODE
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

I the menu it just blanks to screen for a second then goes back to the menu.

Using firmware 2.1.1 stock.

I tried both the 'old' file(s) and the new fixed one.

It seems like Filezilla auto-detected the files as ASCII instead of binary (how come SmartFTP never did this!), hence it corrupted them during the upload. Download them again, all should be fine now.

Sqdef, Sqdef.sfx (make sure to clear your browser's cache)

Funny I was thinking the same thing (actually thought Mozilla mangled the files...) MD5 hash: always a good idea.

WGET:

When you just gotta get a file.

Also it works like a charm, no hiss, static or other background noise.

ROCK ON!

Series-8 said:
Also it works like a charm, no hiss, static or other background noise.

ROCK ON!
Excellent news, thanks for taking the time to test it :) If someone will confirm the same on an F-200, I'll submit the update to the archive.

Damn, this whole post was a waste. I'm starting over.

I used wget to get the files as well. Firefox grabbed them, Safari showed them as text. Which leads me to believe that the server still thinks they're ascii. wget said they were text but no big deal, they loaded up fine. I do notice a little hissing in the background after the splash screen (which I super sneakily signed in the bottom left corner, feel free to remove that if it's in your way ;) ), but maybe it's just SDL. It doesn't change after a sound is played or anything like that.

Unfortunately, then and now, I can only get as far as the main menu. It's creating the high score files on first run. I can open the credits and map editor. But when I pick a level set, the game exits. Right now I'm thinking SD card trickery (since no one else had problems) but I don't have time to format the card again. You aren't changing the clock speed right there, are you? Although I guess it wouldn't recover gracefully if that was the issue.

edit: woohoo! Figured it out. Or at least I think I did. Macs like to throw "._whatever" files in every directory. I deleted the ones in "Maps/Sqdef Classic" and now I can select that level set. Note that there were none in any of the "Hiscores" folders since this is generated on the GP2X. I can't imagine what's going on, other than that it's looking for the highscore files that start with underscores and grabbing the "._*" files that sit next to the maps. But they have different extensions.

Scratch that...I think it's trying to load every file it finds in that folder as if it were a map, and not finding map data in the resource forks.

What gets me is that I must be the only person trying to copy sqdef from a mac, or the only one lazy enough not to take care of the resource fork files :)
edit: or maybe there's an old thread I haven't found from the 1.3 days...I'm curious: did anyone catch this before?

--

hmm...one more thing...i think it crashes when i hit R? (using the binary from your website). fluke i guess.

Back