Sqdef 1.2

Alex.

Retired
Updated January 14th 2008: Sqdef 1.2A -> see here

---

Sqdef is a tower defense game for the GP2X. The goal is to prevent enemies from getting from one side of the map to the other by placing towers along their way. Visit the Sqdef microsite for more info. Note that none of the files from the old versions work, so this will need a 100% clean install. Sqdef is compatible with all GP2X models.

Download Sqdef 1.2 from archive.gp2x.de

sqdef2.png
sqdef3.png

1.2 is a very important milestone, with a lot of new features and refinements to old ones:

-> improved game balance (including dynamic pricing for the more special items)
-> new graphics
-> special towers that boost the damage of every tower in range
-> fast-forward speed increased from 3x to 5x
-> bonus 60-wave mode after winning all three medals on a map
-> detailed score break-down at the end of every game
-> on-GP2X map editor, with everything you need to make new levels!
-> easily manageable map packs
-> you can download more map packs from the game's site, as well as make your own and share them with us!
-> clear and concise readme.txt that explains everything there is to know about Sqdef

If you enjoy playing Sqdef, please consider making a PayPal donation to support its development! There's a PayPal button on my site. Any amount is appreciated, and in return I will add your name or nickname to the game’s credits. :)

Please let me know of any new maps you make (or better yet, post them here). It would be great to put together a GP32x map pack where each map was made by a different member of our community :) Additionally, if you make a pack of three or more maps, I'll put it up on the site as a download. Speaking of new maps, many thanks go to Prairiefire, who designed 10 of the 16 new maps in this release!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Alex., once the new install is completed and all of the game folders are unpacked (i.e. high scores, maps) can you transfer the old high scores to that to retain them from the 'classic' maps? Awesome work Alex, i'm glad you're still working on this project. It keeps getting better and better :)

Nice game, Alex.! Must have missed this one before.
Are there any plans for F-200 touchscreen support?

Regards,
Stephan

prairiefire said:
Hey Alex., once the new install is completed and all of the game folders are unpacked (i.e. high scores, maps) can you transfer the old high scores to that to retain them from the 'classic' maps? Awesome work Alex, i'm glad you're still working on this project. It keeps getting better and better :)
Yes, the old score files should load just fine, just drop them in the respective hiscores folder.

sbock said:
Nice game, Alex.! Must have missed this one before.
Are there any plans for F-200 touchscreen support?

Regards,
Stephan
That's something to consider for a future release. How about double-tapping on an empty space opens the HUD, tapping a building selects it, double tapping a building opens the upgrade menu, and tapping and holding a building for ~1 second opens the selling menu? Regular button inputs would continue to work in parallel with this, and still be used for wave start, pause, and fast forward. I have no idea if it's comfortable to use the screen like this, so you'll have to tell me what would work and what would not. :)

Nice one Alex!

Just had a quick go and I love the new look. I like the faster speed, and got a bit confused when I didn't notice the varying item costs!

I'll put some time into this over the next week or so, the new items look very interesting.

Had a play with the level editor too and it's an absolute breeze.

Brilliant!

:D

Fantastic work Alex! My favorite GP2X game just got a lot better! Must go get my GP2X... Btw, expect a donation soon. This game is most certainly worth it!

halo9 said:
Just had a quick go and I love the new look. I like the faster speed, and got a bit confused when I didn't notice the varying item costs!
I'm glad you like the new look! The old one started to really bore me, I wanted to make it livelier for a while now. The varying costs are hopefully subtle enough not to come in the way, though they can certainly be used to your advantage at the right times.

whiskthecat said:
Awesome work.
Gruntfuggly said:
Excellent - a reason to charge my batteries again!
Thanks, have fun! :)

Imerion said:
Fantastic work Alex! My favorite GP2X game just got a lot better! Must go get my GP2X... Btw, expect a donation soon. This game is most certainly worth it!
Well thank you! :)

perfect gameplay - thank you, alex. have experienced a crash already thou - after finishing one of the levels (10 rounds) in one-point-two pack. instead of victory page i found myself in gmenu2x. well.. sh*t happens sometimes..

Wah! Great release!

But please tell me i can somehow convert back to the old color scheme!
I totally dislike the green grid, the old was so stylish / unique :(

jose said:
perfect gameplay - thank you, alex. have experienced a crash already thou - after finishing one of the levels (10 rounds) in one-point-two pack. instead of victory page i found myself in gmenu2x. well.. sh*t happens sometimes..
Ouch! Did it happen again, or on the same map? I'll take a look at the code and see if something wrong catches my eye.

Quiest said:
Wah! Great release!

But please tell me i can somehow convert back to the old color scheme!
I totally dislike the green grid, the old was so stylish / unique :(
It's settled then, the next version will have an option to change between the two skins :)

I like the new green theme. :)
Maybe the fine grid has to be "cleaned" because its a little bit to pixelated for my taste but the overall look is good.

Here are some of my Screenshots, later in the Game things can be very intense:

sqdef00013kopieus1.gif
sqdef00015kopiewf4.gif
sqdef00016kopiefy3.gif

@Alex: You've got email, 2x ;)

Can you add an option to re-edit maps youve made? If there already is one, please tell me... Also, should we just post maps here?

zacaj said:
Can you add an option to re-edit maps youve made? If there already is one, please tell me... Also, should we just post maps here?
There's no option to load maps into the editor yet, however the editor keeps the current map you're working on in memory so you can come back to it and make adjustments, provided you didn't exit the game in the meanwhile. As for maps, post them here :) If you make 3 or more, decide on a pack name and I'll put them on the site under map packs.

zacaj said:
Ive made some, theyre in http://zacaj.com/sqdef
Keep in mind I suck at SqDef, so they're a bit easy

Nice! The mazepak ones look quite tough actually. What pack name do the other 3 have? I'll upload them tomorrow. :)

They're just alone-ish things....

Oh, wouldnt it be cool if when it was loading or saving something, the enemy thats in the icon appeared, just standing still, like a loading circle?

zacaj said:
They're just alone-ish things....
But I don't want to list single maps, can I call it Zacaj's Maps or something?

zacaj said:
Oh, wouldnt it be cool if when it was loading or saving something, the enemy thats in the icon appeared, just standing still, like a loading circle?
That would look very nice :)

Sure. If you want me to make more(3 doesnt seem like enough(although 5 isnt a lot either....)), I can

Back