Spotify For Pandora, Linux Etc.

PoisonedV, let me remind you that your warning level is already at 100%, so try and keep away from the off-topic posts and attempts at provoking people.

Pandora/Last.fm and Spotify are nothing alike, to be honest.

Spotify is an all-you-can-eat smorgasboard. You pick the songs. They play them. It's that simple. It's just like a locally installed music player with access to 2 TB of music...

Last edited by a moderator:
It kind of pisses me off a bit, that because I'm in the US it's not available. Well, not necessarily that, but that it won't even tell me how much the service costs in other parts of the world. As a result I don't really know whether or not I care about not having access.

If I knew how much it cost, I might be willing to put it on my list of services to possibly try later. As it is I don't think that I'll bother.

Edit: I realize that the Wiki says, but still, I'm not about to wait around for a business that doesn't feel like listing any sort of estimated price.

hedwards said:
Well, not necessarily that, but that it won"t even tell me how much the service costs in other parts of the world.
it's free if you do not mind the ads. If you want to get rid of them, the cost in UK is
£ 0.99 for a day
£ 9.99 for a month
£ 99 for a year

'PoisonedV' said:
i think mr. cranky needs a nap
Nice ad hominem to not answer and redirect (as usual). You cowardly hack.

'RenegadeChic' said:
i've not seen it done before or done better anywhere else. i mean i guess theres last.fm radio but that appears to have fewer tracks and a limit to how many times you can listen to a track. that doesnt constitute better in my books. i do like the way that spotify can link up with my last.fm to log what i am listening to as well.
'mazza558' said:
You still haven't given an example of a better service of a similar nature than Spotify. I'd like to know what it is too.
'PoisonedV' said:
Well, it's a social networking type music streaming site with playlists, streaming music, and radios, so I'd say Pandora or last.fm more or less does the exact same thing, and so I could see why someone in one of its originating countries would want it for regional music, people from the US jumping through hoops to access it doesn't really make sense.
Well, you clearly didn't try it since there is no social networking aspect and it doesn't stream radio (nice try hack). Talking out your ass as usual.

You had no alternative except the one RenegadeChic provided for you or the one other people have already talked about forever on these forum that you leached for reference. Your original shit comment said nothing of 'originating countries' only that it was done 'better', which you still haven't addressed. Not that we thought you would, since you were just being negative to be negative. Still, how is last.fm better? Who else besides them did it better? You post without thought or value to the community, perhaps because it is beyond you and you are just a sour, sorry, unhappy, troll who must spout poison on everyone else.

Also, since you didn't try it, how can you say it is 'regional music' (well, you can't without talking out your ass), unless you call 'jamiroquai', 'daft punk', 'Johnny Cash', and various other american artists I just listened to. Oh right, you didn't try it, you're just talking out your ass again.

'Wertigon' said:

Spotify is an all-you-can-eat smorgasboard. You pick the songs. They play them. It's that simple. It's just like a locally installed music player with access to 2 TB of music...
Proving my point: "Then the question is, if you post again, will you actually tell us who did it better and in what way... and how this 'better' is a tangible thing we can all agree on or just some crap you make up to validate the shit comment."

'hedwards' said:
It kind of pisses me off a bit, that because I'm in the US it's not available. Well, not necessarily that, but that it won't even tell me how much the service costs in other parts of the world. As a result I don't really know whether or not I care about not having access.
If you just add my proxy step, you can have it in the US. That, and I saw no adds, they seem to send them based on region, and since Canada and the US are not in any region they have, I bet you're good to go.

/To PV: You seem to post without adding value, only parroting others when asked to support your shit posts.
//You act like a sullen, angry, petulant teen (which you technically are a teen from what I've read in the forum of your age).

'PoisonedV' said:
i think mr. cranky needs a nap
Nice ad hominem to not answer and redirect (as usual). You cowardly hack.
1. When did this become the regional debate team 2. 'Cowardly hack' isn't an ad hominem? Also, I did answer it later, you seem to love picking and choosing.
'RenegadeChic' said:
i've not seen it done before or done better anywhere else. i mean i guess theres last.fm radio but that appears to have fewer tracks and a limit to how many times you can listen to a track. that doesnt constitute better in my books. i do like the way that spotify can link up with my last.fm to log what i am listening to as well.
'mazza558' said:
You still haven't given an example of a better service of a similar nature than Spotify. I'd like to know what it is too.
'PoisonedV' said:
Well, it's a social networking type music streaming site with playlists, streaming music, and radios, so I'd say Pandora or last.fm more or less does the exact same thing, and so I could see why someone in one of its originating countries would want it for regional music, people from the US jumping through hoops to access it doesn't really make sense.
Well, you clearly didn't try it since there is no social networking aspect and it doesn't stream radio (nice try hack). Talking out your ass as usual.
LOL more 'ad hominems'. Of course I didn't try it, I never said I did. Please stop putting words into my mouth, it makes you look foolish. I read the description on wikipedia and the website and took the tour
You had no alternative except the one RenegadeChic provided for you or the one other people have already talked about forever on these forum that you leached for reference. Your original shit comment said nothing of 'originating countries' only that it was done 'better', which you still haven't addressed.
I quoted the post and and talked in referring to using proxies to access it. It's a simple matter of context, and, in my opinion, was quite obvious and only the very dense would pass it up.
Not that we thought you would, since you were just being negative to be negative.
Please stop making assumptions. I was being negative because I didn't have the point, not because I had some eternal desire to be angry.
Still, how is last.fm better? You say I didn't provide evidence for my claim, and yet now you reference the evidence I did provide? Also, I pointed out that it was better because you don't have to jump through loops to use it which is a similar service.
Who else besides them did it better? You post without thought or value to the community, perhaps because it is beyond you and you are just a sour, sorry, unhappy, troll who must spout poison on everyone else.
I referred to last.fm which once again you are ignoring, but also pandora and many similar services. Of course nothing is exactly the same but many things will do.
Also, since you didn't try it, how can you say it is 'regional music' (well, you can't without talking out your ass), I didn't say it is limited to just regional music. Oh, and I think your 'ad hominem' is showing again. unless you call 'jamiroquai', 'daft punk', 'Johnny Cash', and various other american artists I just listened to. Previous point, I said it was inclusive of, not exclusive to. Also, when did Daft Punk become american? Oh right, you didn't try it, you're just talking out your ass again.
You are a very angry young man.
'Wertigon' said:

Proving my point: "Then the question is, if you post again, will you actually tell us who did it better and in what way... and how this 'better' is a tangible thing we can all agree on or just some crap you make up to validate the shit comment." I still dont understand why you are so angry. And honestly, I didn't think it was that hard to find these sites on your own, because of course they exist on an entity as vast as the internet: seeqpod, playlist, and the already mentioned last.fm. Of course, Rhapsody is similar (especially since spotify seems to be moving more and more towards a paysite instead of multilevel)

'hedwards' said:
If you just add my proxy step, you can have it in the US. That, and I saw no adds, they seem to send them based on region, and since Canada and the US are not in any region they have, I bet you're good to go.

/To PV: You seem to post without adding value, only parroting others when asked to support your shit posts.
Please support this. Also, just because you only take notice of my posts that are angry or negative really shows more about me than you: you want to be angry.
//You act like a sullen, angry, petulant teen (which you technically are a teen from what I've read in the forum of your age).
Yes. Saying using a service was kind of pointles makes me usllen, angry, and petulant. I also see you know how to use a thesaurus.

'Squidge' said:
PoisonedV, let me remind you that your warning level is already at 100%, so try and keep away from the off-topic posts and attempts at provoking people.
true, keep it easy, man

'Wertigon' said:

I love the word smorgasboard :p sounds viking

I enjoy shoutcast... some di.fm and sky.fm and I'm all set :)
If I want some particular song, I just download it right away! the purpose of the radio, as I use it, is to know other bands and songs from the same (or similar) style ;) although this system must be nice to use...

I made no ad homimnems for one reason: Ad hominem means attacking the person not the argument. I made arguments and you attacked me not the argument. You made no arguments to attack only assertions, so you were the only thing left to attack. I didn't avoid your arguments (as you did mine), since there was nothing for me to avoid. You made assertions without support or any complete concept, just a pissing fest... don't worry though, I don't expect you to understand the difference.

Also, nice demonstration of parroting again. You didn't even know the term, yet once I used it you over used it in an an attempt to sound like you're IQ was higher than 85. Using big words doesn't make you smart honey. As for my posts, I can do that without using outside resources for words. I can understand how you'd not be able to understand that, but don't project you're trouble with words on the rest of us. I can use words above the 5th grade level appropriately without difficulty or help.

Have a nice day Mr Parrot. How many times did you have to read the definition of ad hominem before you 'thought' you understood it I wonder. Regardless, you humour me quite a bit, but this is getting to the point that it doesn't provide value any longer (I understand you don't get that concept either).

Edit: Oh, I still don't see you saying how any other service was 'done better' as you initially posted. All your posts after were redirection and scrambling to make up for a thoughtless shit post. So, you ever going to answer that? You already said a bunch of things about Spotify in a way like you knew, that were completely wrong, but you ignore that fact, like a good little troll.

Edit2: To be fair, if I did make ad hominem attacks, I did them *while* attacking your assertons (think of it as icing on the cake). Where as the nap comment was a pure ad hominem with no addressing of any statement. Pure ball-less redirection, nancie. Oops, was that an ad hominem?

Also, it is clear that you are disingenuous. That you're re-read your own posts, ignore the meaning of what you posted only look at the words, to see what wiggle room you have in what you posted. Sort of revisionist-history like, so that you can deny you tried to say a certain thing (e.g. the 'regional' comment). Very intellectually dishonest.

'BackAssward' said:
I made no ad homimnems for one reason: Ad hominem means attacking the person not the argument. I made arguments and you attacked me not the argument. You made no arguments to attack only assertions, so you were the only thing left to attack. I didn't avoid your arguments (as you did mine), since there was nothing for me to avoid. You made assertions without support or any complete concept, just a pissing fest... don't worry though, I don't expect you to understand the difference.

Also, nice demonstration of parroting again. You didn't even know the term, yet once I used it you over used it in an an attempt to sound like you're IQ was higher than 85. Using big words doesn't make you smart honey. As for my posts, I can do that without using outside resources for words. I can understand how you'd not be able to understand that, but don't project you're trouble with words on the rest of us. I can use words above the 5th grade level appropriately without difficulty or help.

Have a nice day Mr Parrot. How many times did you have to read the definition of ad hominem before you 'thought' you understood it I wonder. Regardless, you humour me quite a bit, but this is getting to the point that it doesn't provide value any longer (I understand you don't get that concept either).

Edit: Oh, I still don't see you saying how any other service was 'done better' as you initially posted. All your posts after were redirection and scrambling to make up for a thoughtless shit post. So, you ever going to answer that? You already said a bunch of things about Spotify in a way like you knew, that were completely wrong, but you ignore that fact, like a good little troll.

Edit2: To be fair, if I did make ad hominem attacks, I did them *while* attacking your assertons (think of it as icing on the cake). Where as the nap comment was a pure ad hominem with no addressing of any statement. Pure ball-less redirection, nancie. Oops, was that an ad hominem?

Also, it is clear that you are disingenuous. That you're re-read your own posts, ignore the meaning of what you posted only look at the words, to see what wiggle room you have in what you posted. Sort of revisionist-history like, so that you can deny you tried to say a certain thing (e.g. the 'regional' comment). Very intellectually dishonest.
i think i destroyed someones life

Hey guys, I use both and both are brilliant. Spotify is insanly quick, first search I made I thought I was searching from my local music. I love Last.FM's music suggestions, it's helped my music tastes evolve.

Can we not just use both, no? I mean, one of the fucking replys was 417 words. PoisenedV's quote happy reply was near enough 1000.

Bump. Now that the Pandora is out and Spotify is out in The Netherlands I really want this!

http://despotify.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/despotify/src/bindings/python/

Thats the python source of despotify

Mithrildor said:
Bump. Now that the Pandora is out and Spotify is out in The Netherlands I really want this!

http://despotify.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/despotify/src/bindings/python/

Thats the python source of despotify
Quick lowdown

Despotify, doesnt have ads
free users were able to use it, until spotify changed that
no attempt was made by Despotify to undo spotifys changes, as this was seen as accepting Despotify for Prem users only

So basically doesnt look like spotify will deliberately break Despotify (theyre sort of showing acceptance to the cause)
And you need to have a prem account

WARNING
http://despotify.se/criticism/

sounds too risky

I've been using Despotify on my Ubuntu install without problems. It requires you to have a Premium account though, but I got one already :)
Would be nice to see if anyone can get one of the clients listed on despotify.se to work on the Pandora now that it has been shipping out.

NLS said:
I've been using Despotify on my Ubuntu install without problems. It requires you to have a Premium account though, but I got one already :)
Would be nice to see if anyone can get one of the clients listed on despotify.se to work on the Pandora now that it has been shipping out.

It requires you to have it? Meh too bad.

Doesn't exaile have free internet radio built in ? Do we need an extra app just to play 1 service. What is this the iphone. Are we going to have countless apps that duplicate functionality or are websites. Exaile is also a library based player that's on the file archive and the app store. Just download the pnd and remember that you need to install the codec pack for exaile to work , but I don't know what I'm talking about so lets have an app for every single thing .

maplesugarlover said:
Doesn't exaile have free internet radio built in ? Do we need an extra app just to play 1 service. What is this the iphone. Are we going to have countless apps that duplicate functionality or are websites. Exaile is also a library based player that's on the file archive and the app store. Just download the pnd and remember that you need to install the codec pack for exaile to work , but I don't know what I'm talking about so lets have an app for every single thing .
Yep we are going to have multiple app that does the same thing. It's always been like that and that's not a bad thing. Exaile might be available, but if some aren't happy with it, they'll port or code another audio player.

I mean it's an open platform, anyone can come make his own app and distribute it!
Following your way of thinking and pushing it to the extreme, we would have only 1 platformer, 1 RTS, 1 FPS, … just because there is already one game that have this kind of game play.

maplesugarlover said:

Too bad that Spotify is no internet radio. Its an on demand music service.

KodeIn said:
maplesugarlover said:
Yep we are going to have multiple app that does the same thing. It's always been like that and that's not a bad thing. Exaile might be available, but if some aren't happy with it, they'll port or code another audio player.

I mean it's an open platform, anyone can come make his own app and distribute it!
Following your way of thinking and pushing it to the extreme, we would have only 1 platformer, 1 RTS, 1 FPS, … just because there is already one game that have this kind of game play.
Games are different than other types of software and I'm fine with apps that do similar things. Sometimes you use mousepad, sometimes you use abiword . Besides I didn't realize that spotify is different from internet radio. Also I think the open platform is one of the Pandora's best attributes.

maplesugarlover said:
Most likely you could make a plugin for various Music Mangers, if they've worked out the protocol.
It's not a simple audio stream, but it's still a very similar service, and the controls of a media player would be perfectly adequate.

Back