Pandora 'Spirit Shard', commercial quality 2d shmup for pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
C++, SDL and openGL is development in.

Requirements will be 480 vertical resolution, the game is made to render at different resolutions with 1x1 pixel size or 2x1 pixel size but actual game area to see and move around in should be close to the development target 800x480 or double of it. 1080p with double pixel size is fine. So what systems it will be on we will see in the future what will be possible, it does slow down on Pandora when shooting bouncing bullets for ex, around 30fps on my 600mhz Panda, but its not finnished yet so we will see how final build runs.

Ninja Front.pngPterosaurman Front.png

Some level 3 concept art.

The second guy reminds me of Sauron from X-Men (Savage Lands), particulaly if he ends up being bright green. Both of these look really cool, i'm interested to see how they will look as sprites. This game is going to kick so much ass!

The second guy reminds me of Sauron from X-Men (Savage Lands), particulaly if he ends up being bright green. Both of these look really cool, i'm interested to see how they will look as sprites. This game is going to kick so much ass!
Yeah i wanted pterosaur man like sauron. He was always a cool xmen enemy.
I may opt for a different colour though. Purple maybe.

I hope the game kicks Ass too. We will do our best.

your choice of course but perhaps flesh-tone would be quite cool for Mr dinosaur

Well, I have changed the artist for background graphics. The same guy who does enemies will do all backgrounds also.

He is a shit hot sprite artist in my opinion.

I would be lucky to find anyone better. This ensure that the graphics will be truly something to behold, ala agony amiga 500, that sort of thing.

He is moving fast now so I know he can do it. December 2014 is the current planned release date for Spirit shard.

Well not much to say, except that the graphics and animations, for the level 2 enemies and boss's are 99% done.

- Level 3 concept art is finished.

-Background graphics for level one will commence in the coming week.

- I am hoping, fingers crossed, to have all level one enemies and boss's coded, before christmas.

There is still 9 out of 10 weapons to be coded, 3 power-ups, a power-up enemy type and lots of little details.

Then there is general tweaking and adjusting of things like the melee attacks and such, oh there is also destructible scenery to be coded, 2 types, and more.

I am working on a colission map for level one. Its coming along ok. When I have finished it, I will make a second pass at it and make it as good as possible.

Levels are not too complex, there is essentially 2 different routes through the level, with secret areas scattered about. Then there is an optional route, clearly indicated as such, which will be quite difficult but there may be a reward at the end.

5 levels which are: Morning woodlands, Desert world 'Sokaris', The Coastal Citadel of 'Oricon'. Graveyard of ships and Nightmare.

Well its Christmas so time for a rest.

I'm boning up on level design as its critical to game-play and will continue to do so in Janurary.

I'm making a plan before I actually start a proper level map.

Rough sketches of shapes and ideas; then later I will make better sketches on art paper.

Various montages and level layout ideas will be sketched out.

I had to nail down the core moment to moment gameplay in my mind.

Spirit Shard will in essence be, shooting, dash punching (melee attack) and dash punching through destructible walls.

Some alternate routes and more exploration then originally intended is the order of the day.

This won't be as sprawling as gunlord or turrican though.

Its a shooter at heart.

I am analysing the map layouts in gunlord though. There are tricks to be learned.

We will build a prototype using placeholder tiles for level layout.

With crappy graphics we can easily change the layout of levels on the fly till we can get what we need.

All basic game elements will be put in place and then tweaked and re-worked to death.

Im nolonger involved, he found another coder and I dont know what hes doing or able to do, all I heard was he was doing Unity. I wanted to move on and do commercial games since quite early in the start of this, I guess thats how it happened as it did since it was mostly me and Wrath handling it at then, all others that started it dropped off. And Wrath has spent a lot of money now on professional level work so Id say any hope of making money on the game is more important at this point.

Im nolonger involved, he found another coder and I dont know what hes doing or able to do, all I heard was he was doing Unity. I wanted to move on and do commercial games since quite early in the start of this, I guess thats how it happened as it did since it was mostly me and Wrath handling it at then, all others that started it dropped off. And Wrath has spent a lot of money now on professional level work so Id say any hope of making money on the game is more important at this point.
Glad we know what's happening. Why W of K didn't mention it here by himself instead of disappearing without a trace?

Its not so long ago he found another coder, but mayby he dosnt come by forum so often, it dosnt seem like he saw this thread got new replies yet, I dont know.

Perhaps - with no longer doing a Pandora version - there didn't seem much point to post information here?

Hey, I'm always on these forums, I check in once a day. I'm waiting on a pyra. The forums should hot up upon its release.

I didn't think anyone cared much about Spirit Shard.

Its a project I work on in my spare time and yes I'm funding it too. My programmer works on it about 15 hours per week; he's an industry veteran. He knows his stuff and I need that to realize this project. Yes its a unity game now.

So, it goes slowly but it goes. Ive just made a checklist of remaining tasks and am hoping to cut through them quickly.

I'm almost finished a graphic novel tie-in script; yes there's still a story :p

I'll have the new build of the game/tile editor next week. Then I will have enough features to begin laying simple, placeholder, tile shapes. With these I can build montages of the level design/gameplay; collisional tiles.

My sprite artist is back at work after a sabbatical. I'm hoping to see a huge, blue, sea dragon boss soon. Also the last few pieces of concept art are being sketched as we speak.

Hey, when I have a playable demo of level one, I'll post a video here; even if its entirely sacrilegious and defiling of the open source dream. :p  

As far as Im concerned your part of this Pandora community still and I bet many are interested in what your doing whether it comes out on Pandora or not. Best of luck to you still!

Hey, I'm always on these forums, I check in once a day. I'm waiting on a pyra. The forums should hot up upon its release.

I didn't think anyone cared much about Spirit Shard.

Its a project I work on in my spare time and yes I'm funding it too. My programmer works on it about 15 hours per week; he's an industry veteran. He knows his stuff and I need that to realize this project. Yes its a unity game now.

So, it goes slowly but it goes. Ive just made a checklist of remaining tasks and am hoping to cut through them quickly.

I'm almost finished a graphic novel tie-in script; yes there's still a story :p

I'll have the new build of the game/tile editor next week. Then I will have enough features to begin laying simple, placeholder, tile shapes. With these I can build montages of the level design/gameplay; collisional tiles.

My sprite artist is back at work after a sabbatical. I'm hoping to see a huge, blue, sea dragon boss soon. Also the last few pieces of concept art are being sketched as we speak.

Hey, when I have a playable demo of level one, I'll post a video here; even if its entirely sacrilegious and defiling of the open source dream. :p  

Hey how is going your progress with the game? I'm very interested to see how it will turn out to be!

Back