Speccyal'K - New Spectrum 48/128 emulator

Hi,

I'd like to know if peoples have already experienced this bug. The "lock" bug occurs at any time and freeze the emulator (when pressing one of the buttons). I need to know where and when it occurs (the complete sequence would be nice), it will help me to cure this bug. I suspect a problem with the sound code but really I don't know. Thanks a lot.

_tyrell_

Is SNA the preferred format? It's just that I can't get any TAP images to work. :(

Ok, for the TAP format :

48k mode:

- Reset to 48k basic
- Load the TAP file
- Display the virtual keyboard and choose the douvle quote key (")
- Press Button B to enter the LOAD "" command

It should load !

128k mode :

- Load the TAP file
- Press key B to load the tape file

Hope it helps !

_tyrell_

Great Work Tyrell, just posted news of your emu at VGN, Emucamp and also Emufanatics.

Ive made a mirror at my site too.

This is the greatest forum for GP32 stuff :p

Great Work Hando on a marvellous scene site.

I got the lock bug.

Sequence.

Started emu.
Loaded Sabre Wulf (Tap file in 48k mode)
Pressed R to go to the options screen
Lock.

Jetpac has problems too. I get random blocks of colour on the screen but when I press the buttons I can still hear the laser firing.

I just tried loading jeptpac.tap and it was working.
Did you tried to load it in 48k or 128k mode (128k mode: does not work for sure...) ?

_tyrell_

Thanks _tyrell_

Another one of those secret emu's that weren't announced (well I did not hear about it) and then gets released.

On the face of it this look really good, 48k and 128k model supported and sound (well at least for the 48k machine)

However, I have so far been unable to play any game. Everything i have loaded has immediately crashed back to the GP32 start-up sequence. (SNA, TAP, + all the other extensions)

I have set everything up as the readme states, and the game images work on the other GP32 emu's but it just crashes.

I noticed that your emu was running at 133 MHZ, I had trouble running SCUMMVM at 133, so maybe it's my unit. Is it possible to release a version running at 132MHZ just in case it's my unit that is messing up.

Thanks _tyrell_

MrT

Hi,

It's actually running at 132 mhz in fact. Yes, maybe some units could have problems of this kind... I'll see if I can lower the speed (between 80 mhz and 132), but this requires some optimizations. I can ensure you all the file formats are really supported and are working (this has been long proven in the windows version of the emulator). I have tried many of them, including the less-known .SLT extension (rick dangerous 2 for example) and it's working. Very strange problem indeed...

_tyrell_

Anyone know a good website that kind of shows off the Spectrum 48/128? I am totally unfamiliar with this console/computer, and was looking for a site that kind of showed off the machine with some game screen shots. Basically some history and specs of the machine.

Flack,

The Spectrum (and it's fantastic rubber keyboard!) was my first machine before upgrading to the all-powerfl C64! :)

I think it was released under the Timex brand in the US but I forget the model number.

Go here for a java version of a speccy that'll run in your browser. Manic miner was a classic :)

Then take a look here for some Sinclair history. Clive Sinclair is almost single-handedly responsible for the home computer taking off in the UK. I reckon 85% of people over here that work in I.T. will put their interest in computers down to this guy. I certainly do.

Thanks _tyrell_ the new version works for me now. Maybe I was getting a different result (crashing) to the lock bug, but now it works a treat.

I'd forgotten just what a great game Exollon is...... Have to try Starquake next :D

Cheers

MrT

Glad to see it works.
At least one people is using the emu, impressive ! :p

I hope to offer AY-3-8910 sound emulation really soon. But finding this bug is very time-consuming!

_tyrell_

I'm currently waiting for my new GP32, then I'm looking forward to getting stuck into your emulater !

Is there any chance of future versions including a save option ?

Yes, probably I'll add some save option which could save a .SNA snapshot in a first version (thus, only 48k games), but why not later adding a .Z80 save option.

It's the kind of things I'm looking forward to implement, together with better screen border effects (line by line rendering) and better sound.

I have found the bug in the AY-3-8910 emulation so expect a new release soon.

_tyrell_

good news _tyrell_ looks like I might have to buy another SMC afterall, you dev'ers just can't stop releasing good EMU's ;)

:D

MrT

Back