Spectrum Emulator

stu70

Still Fresh
can anybody please tell me how you make the spectrum emulator to work & where can i get some roms.
i have a cd full for the pc. can i convert them for the gp2x?
if so with what. any info greatly recieved.

can anybody please tell me how you make the spectrum emulator to work & where can i get some roms.
i have a cd full for the pc. can i convert them for the gp2x?
if so with what. any info greatly recieved.

I use GP2xSpectrum, as it's quite a capable emulator, and seems to reproduce the speccy reasonably well - with the exception of a few sound bugs (AY is not up to much, beeper could do with some antialiasing).

It loads z80/sna files, possibly .tap and .tzx too. Ah yes, it does. And .dsk for +3 emulation.

You don't need roms for it - they're built in.

Ah, you possibly refer to the games when you say "roms". In which case, you need to do two things:

1. Refer to the readme - you have to edit the .ini file that comes with the emulator, to point to the directory you have your games placed in. For example, mine is in "./games/". The "./" tells the emulator to start in the same directory as the emulator, and work in from there.

2. Refer to the games in the formats they're encoded. They aren't ROMs, they're images of memory (for z80, sna), or images of magnetic media (tap, tzx) or disk images. As I said, the ROM images are built into the emulator - they're the "OS" for want of a better term. The term "ROM" refers to "Read Only Memory", which is correct for many emulators that utilise images of cartridges and other read-only media.

Head over to http://www.worldofspectrum.org/ to find all manner of Spectrum games and applications, it's the largest online gaming resource in the world.

Hope that helps,

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back