Space In The Case ?

muchalucha

Still Fresh
ive watched this forum for ages and i thought it was time to make an account , so bammm.

My question : Ive watched all the vids on assembling the pandora , but my question can only really be answered by some who has actually seen one :(. I need to know whether i could fit a much smaller battery and use the extra space in the bottom for a usb hub , several memmoru sticks and a 3g dongle ( all stripped with the usb headers yanked of) . my plane , as is many people is to turn it into a sorta phone. what dya think.

muchalucha said:
ive watched this forum for ages and i thought it was time to make an account , so bammm.

My question : Ive watched all the vids on assembling the pandora , but my question can only really be answered by some who has actually seen one :( . I need to know whether i could fit a much smaller battery and use the extra space in the bottom for a usb hub , several memmoru sticks and a 3g dongle ( all stripped with the usb headers yanked of) . my plane , as is many people is to turn it into a sorta phone. what dya think.

So let me get this straight
you want to
1) remove most of the battery capacity
2) attach always-on USB devices
3) place a 3g dongle in the bottom with no antenna

I think it's probably a bad idea but it would work if you really want to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. not necessaryly i could get a more expensive smaller battery with similar ratings
2. ill put in a switch or control it by software
3. they dont have very big antennas anyway do they ?( not being sarcastic , do they lol!)

I'd have thought a better solution, would just be for there to be another shell to be sold.
Assume it would be a piece of piss to extend the current design in one dimension or the other - really just depends on cost of tooling and how many would be bought blah blah.
I'd pay a quite remarkably large premium over the cost of two bits of plastic should there be something fun I could wedge into the new space.

You could take out one of the nubs
Who needs two nubs anyways
Well, unless you like to play fps games.

edit: actually I guess you could use the dpad for movement

i am a gadget as small as can be
is there space in the case for a gadget like me?

oh, sorry, just remembered that lovely little book i read to my daughter the other day :)

muchalucha said:
1. not necessaryly i could get a more expensive smaller battery with similar ratings
no you couldn't. As far as I'm aware, this is a custom made battery that is being packed to the gills, as energy dense as is currently physically possible without going nuclear. You can't get a smaller battery with the same ratings on today's technology. Maybe in 3 or 4 years there'll be some major discovery, but for right now, LiPo is it.

what would be reaally cool is if i could by a pnadora wihtout the case and build my own

Well there was talk some time ago of selling the boards by themselves. Don't know what became of that, though.

Certainly won't bi in time for the first batch, though. They've only ordered 4000 boards and that's only just enough to cover the pre-orders plus emergency spares.

muchalucha said:
what would be reaally cool is if i could by a pnadora wihtout the case and build my own
Rather than dream of building an entire case from scratch why not design and build a shallow tray/box that would sit below the Pandora and swing/drop down to allow access to your add-ons and the Pandora's battery hatch.

You could always design and print your own case - check out http://www.shapeways.com/

Mal

muchalucha said:

My question : Ive watched all the vids on assembling the pandora , but my question can only really be answered by some who has actually seen one :( . I need to know whether i could fit a much smaller battery and use the extra space in the bottom for a usb hub , several memmoru sticks and a 3g dongle ( all stripped with the usb headers yanked of) . my plane , as is many people is to turn it into a sorta phone. what dya think.
This video should give you an idea about how much space you have to work with. It's... not much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50Kh70AeE4

Gary13579 said:
muchalucha said:

This video should give you an idea about how much space you have to work with. It's... not much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50Kh70AeE4

...yeah.

It looks as if you would have considerable space if you took out the stylus and its accompanying footprint thing

Not sure of the need for memmoru sticks, as there are already two SD slots, so I'll skip that.
You want a USB hub and 3G dongle.
If you hack the case, there is room where the stylus pen sits.
It appears to be approx. 5mm X 5mm X 60mm in size.
If you can get them in this space, you're good to go.

Problem: with the combination of a smaller battery and all the stuff you want to add, your battery life is going to be atrocious.

If thin and long, you might be able to cannibalize the place where the stylus goes.

Back