Feedback on the Open Pandora device

You could just get a bigger card. But doubling the capacity costs about 4 times much.
That is true, I could, but I'm already using two 32GB cards, and (most importantly) I often swap the second one for other types of media on-the-fly. I couldn't easily do that with only one slot. :lol:

i cant believe its taken 25 posts for someone to actually say this...but

PISS OFF!

I hope to god this is a troll, no usb host or second sd card slot or TV out?

I have a netbook with an Atom processor, and you'd remove the USB on it?

This feels like someone has completely missed the point on the Pandora...

I stopped reading at "my iPad"

The Pandora is not a netbook, how the hell is a 7 inch screen supposed to fit in there?

Besides which, you seem to think they should make the pandora as close to netbooks/ipads as possible.
And why on earth would anyone want to do that apple is just one great big giant douch.

Then pandora is the best handheld ever made, no question.

If youve never used one then you cant possibly contemplate how AMAZING this piece of kit is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped reading at "my iPad"

The Pandora is not a netbook, how the hell is a 7 inch screen supposed to fit in there?

Haha thats made me chuckle thats the exact spot i stopped at. didnt see this coment earlier before i posted my little apple dig in.

I dont own a pandora (yet ;) ) But I have to say I am very impressed with the achievements the OP team and the community has made with this device, I'm looking for a powerful gaming device that has limitless possibilities that any one can contribute to...... thats the pandora for you, I would want to change very little, but honestly though, and I know I'm beating a rather dead horse, but as every one said, if you want something that you just described they have those, it's called (as every body in this thread said) a NETBOOK, in theory you could use it for every day computer stuff, and you can and it does a very good job of it, but its MAIN purpose is for entertainment purposes, Why would you want to drop the USB? Why would you drop to drop the TV-Out, AND PLEASE tell me why you would not a second sd card slot.... the only thing I can thing of is "THIS DEVICE HAS TO MANY EXTRAS ON IT, LETS DROP THEM AND MAKE IT DO LESS STUFF TO MAKE IT SLIMMER EASIER AND IMPORTENTLY..... STUPIDER"..... thats the only conclusion I can come to

With that being said keep doing what you've been doing guys, the OP team and the OP comunity, because you are doing it right, I would not change much in terms of the openpandora ;)

A little extra speed and MAYBE a bigger screen, but ever with out those things I would love to have an open pandora ;)

So good job every one

P.S Wish me Luck on Finding one of these things :D

you don't need luck, just patience ;)

It was 2 years and 5 months or thereabouts, first day pre-orderer, but this is so worth the wait.

I don't use it every day, but am slowly replaying ff7 at the moment. Brings a smile to my face every time I boot it up.

Holy crap people... Obvious troll wasn't all that obvious, apparently.

Calm down bro, we now that he is a troll, but then again I released lately that people can be that ignorant, so for the sake of argument we are just saying what we feel ;)

2. To market a device mainly as a retro gaming system is a marketing blunder; granted, this device is made by engineers so you'd expect marketing blunders galore. It needs to be more of a Swiss Army Knife. The chiclet keyboard defeats that aim however.

Hey! Chiclets are great!

Could someone actually explain to me what a chiclet keyboard is meant to be?

I know it's a term named after some chewing gum, but I was always of the impression that it applied to those horribly-responding keypads on mobile telephones, as opposed to something that feels and responds like a combination of gamepad buttons and a laptop keyboard...

Yeah, I've had those. They're yummy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiclets

800px-Chiclets-Candies.jpg

chiclets2.jpg

Just how many times have we had the thread where somebody suggest to remove what makes pandora unique and build a netbook?

First of all: how many people would have preordered a netbook 2 years in advance, when they can buy one from just any store around the corner? Netbooks may sell more, but an OP netbook would have sold way less than the pandora as we have it.

This time I've had a pandora for a while and I can give a couple of real life experiences :)

3. Several features are novelties that can be dumped:

- The second SD slot

- The composite TV output

- USB host port

• On the pandora one of the SD slots is usually your main storage, having a second slot is at least as useful as the single SD slot on my netbook.
  • The TV output came free with the SoC, it may not be useful, but dumping it wouldn't save anything (not even space, since it comes in the ext port)
  • As for the USB host, let me see...
    Be outdoor with friends, take some pictures with your camera, put the SD in the second slot, copy the pics to their USB sticks (note that I don't usually bring my bulky netbook when going outdoor, but the pandora just fits in any bag).
  • Be somewhere without open wifi networks (i.e. almost everywhere in Italy, if you don't want to track who is managing them, give your id, register, as required by law), use an usb HDSPA modem to connect to the internet.
  • Connect an Arduino, read sensor data, do cool things. (Well, this is a plan more than an experience.)
  • Connect an ethernet stick, do network testing and maintainance

6. Videos that pretend this device is usable for anything but gaming, video playback, and MP3 listening are disingenuous and from a marketing perspective the HARM your efforts. They make you look like snake oil salesmen. Take them down.

let me see: these are all things that I have actually done with my Pandora

• Remote system administration: check
  • Programming (python, using my usual tools such as vim, ipython, git): check
  • Fiction and technical writing: check
  • Pixel art: check (unpublishable results, but I don't have the tools to blame :) )
  • Quick sketching: check
  • E-book reading: check
  • OpenStreetMap mapping: partial check (it could be way better with some software)
  • Navigation (based on OSM data): check (software could be improved, and will be with time)

7. The days of stylus-based devices are over. Dump the stylus. Find someone to make a real touch-based GUI if you will have a touch display. Give a Linux programmer a free device in exchange for labor.

The minimenu is usable with fingers (but I usually just use the keys)

3. Several features are novelties that can be dumped:

- The second SD slot

- The composite TV output

- USB host port

5. Improvements that I would make:

- Screen size needs to be 7 to 10 inches.

- If a big touch screen would be too expensive to include, add a trackpad an a regular LCD.

- Keyboard needs to be larger to be usable. My Mac's keyboard, from Q to P, is 7.5 inches wide. My ipad is 9 inches wide. With a bigger screen you'd have space for a real keyboard.

- Consider an Atom processor.

i didn't mean to say "piss off" as you mentioned, but after reading that you want to turn pandora into a netbook and dump what it has most valuable, you leave me no options. Don't get me wrong. You don't have pandora, i do. Trust me, if there's something that could be improved, i would say a better processor (>1ghz) and more ram, maybe a slimmer form factor. That's all.
What else to say about this... you summed up everything I was about to post myself.

this post made me rage quite alot, at least own the device before judging it,.... remove the 2nd card slot... REMOVE THE 2ND CARD SLOT...... SOME ONE TRY TO JUSTIFY THIS

*almighty THUD!*

:angry:

[*]Be somewhere without open wifi networks (i.e. almost everywhere in Italy, if you don't want to track who is managing them, give your id, register, as required by law), use an usb HDSPA modem to connect to the internet.

Dang, I was hoping to live in Italy one day (at least part-time!) I take it that just applies to public wifis, there are no rules about your own private wifi are there?

[*]Connect an Arduino, read sensor data, do cool things. (Well, this is a plan more than an experience.)

Ooh, has anyone actually connected an Arduino to their Pandora? That would be very cool!

The minimenu is usable with fingers (but I usually just use the keys)

Is it? How do you scroll down the list?

Back