Sony to enter hand-held gmes arena

Finally, they would release an SDK, they released Linux for the PS2, why not some sort of development platform for their handheld?

..and they did release the Yaroze for the PSX, so you might be right. Yaroze and PS2 Linux are pretty crippled though, not exactly GP32 + Freelauncher.

It´s no hoax, check this link on uk.playstation.com

I think Nintendo has a real problem now. If there is one company that can take on the gameboy it´s Sony.

Besides Sony having the brandname (PlaystationPortable?) they have the marketing power, budget and licenses.

The timing is also perfect. Nintendo just screwed over it´s loyal fans by taking two releases of the GBA to get it right. If sony launches Q4 2004 Nintendo have two choices, just sit there with inferior hardware or launch another update to the GBA.

Normally I don´t believe the hype. But in this case I think the Sony has planned it all from front to back with only one goalin mind: become the number one portable game platform.

Like it or not, you are going to here more from this console.

This may help the market more than hurt it, but I still hate sony for this.
YOUR GONNA SCREW UP GP32 YOU FREAKING ********!!!!!!!!!!
Lets all agree to something, no matter what new handheld comes out, you must stay with gamepark. I know I will.

This may help the market more than hurt it, but I still hate sony for this.
YOUR GONNA SCREW UP GP32 YOU FREAKING ********!!!!!!!!!!
Lets all agree to something, no matter what new handheld comes out, you must stay with gamepark. I know I will.

Different markets. This PSP thing will be all about commercial games.. Who buys the GP32 for commercial games? It wont affect the GP32 at all so don't worry.

Yep, definitely not a hoax!!

Ken Kutaragi mentioned it in the Sony e3 press conference, and shown the mini cart/disc thing.

I don´t think it will affect the GP32 that much. More the GBA. I do think that GamePark will rethink there european launch. Besides it´s still more than 1½ years away. By then we will be having our gp64´s :D

I dopnt think it's gonna be a problem to the GP32 - totally different market being targetted...

I mean, if we wanted a load of off-the-shelf games, we'd have bought a GBA. Even if this is as swanky as hell, it still wont play the games we went to play, and using a proprietry storage format, is unlikely to play them for the forseeable future :D

They've also said it's gonna be at least a year before the unveiling of the first public prototype - give it 2 years before a full release....

Nothing to worry about! :D

@Mofokubik

Man! You gotta try and be more open-minded! You're gonna invite more flames than you can handle soon if you don't respect other people's choices....

I've got an X-box, but PS2 is not a piece of crap. I agree, X-box IS better technically, but there's some fantastic games out for PS2.

Do you feel like if you have one you can't have the other? Why do you have to be so extreme about it all?

Just wondering? :D

I stand corrected.
http://rss.com.com/2100-1043_3-1001279.htm...=feed&subj=news

Hope you understand that, since it was through e-mail and I hadn't heard official news of it, I thought it was a hoax.

I agree with most others on this board, it won't affect the market too much, it's likely to decrease the price of the GBA SP though :)

- Rico

p.s. Axeman, I partly agree with VirtuaLeech, why not combine all three posts together instead of posting them all seperately? (You can edit posts too)

@axeman

Hehe, I dont hate ps2 as much as you think. I was just in a bad mood and letting off a little steam about something....I really dont hate ps2, but the die hard ps2 fans make it hard to like it when they say, this game is the best, your a freaking idiot for buying an xbox, ps2 owns in hardware, etc...
I enjoy many games on ps2...
Twisted metal black
Halflife decay
Red faction
Dot hack infection
etc...
Right now, I like xbox the best, because I will get great fps games for that with xbox live.
I borrowed my cousins gamecube, and the controller was so hard to put down. Games were so addicting...(mario sunshine is fantastic, animal crossing is very addicting)
Ps2 has alot of good games, but I wouldnt buy one.

@ Mofokubik

Cool...

but

I really dont hate ps2, but the die hard ps2 fans make it hard to like it when they say, this game is the best, your a freaking idiot for buying an xbox, ps2 owns in hardware, etc...

Lets not sink to that level eh :D That's one of the best things about this forum at the moment - I hope it stays that way. A bit of intelligent debate goes much further than the 'My box is better than your box' flame wars....

@ VirtuaLeech

Hey Axeman, trying to up your post count even further? 

:lol: Hehe - sorry! Just posting as I think of it! Shouldn't be so lazy! :D

I think Mofokubik sums it up real nice in his post.

If you like RPG´s get a PS2
If you like FPS get an XBOX
If you like cute playable games get a GameCube
If you shower your wife with gifts, get them all ;)

Everybody likes different games, everybody should be happy with the console (s)he owns.

@jjthe2: Sony want to target this as a massmarket machine (the next walkman). I´ll doubt it will cost $400. I´m thinking about $149 - $199 (remember it´s still 1½ years away, and technollegy advances fast)

nice to see this was confirmed. i was as sceptical about this as the next man.

but now Ninty really have something to worry about. :ph34r:

the GP32 with emus will soldier on though. ;)

Microsoft is also actually planning for a portable sytem release. There aren't many details available, especially regarding release date and hardware. I read that the project was codenamed X-Boy.

As for the portable Playstation, I think that it would be great. As much as I dislike the PS family of consoles, this can only do good to the portable gaming market. Nintendo has always just put out absolute crap on their Gameboys due to the lack of any real competition. If the GBA has a serious competitor, the quality of it's titles should increase. Besides, I like the idea of playing Final Fantasy on the go.

I don't think anything will ever get rid of Nintendo hardware, they have such a loyal fanbase who will buy any console they ever release - like me! Though I did choose a GP32 ahead of a GC...

They've also sold a hell of a lot of GBAs, Sony will have it's work cut out to be no.1 in hand-helds!

As for Sony zealots, every console has them and they're the ones missing out on good games by sticking their heads up their own...

well i'd buy it! sorry but it sounds extremely good, I love my gp32 and i would never get rid of it, they would co-exist in perfect harmony!

Back