Some Simple Questions On F200 To Start With

xpan

Still Fresh
hi,

I just bought a GP2X F200 wich looks and works great at the moment. I have a list of simple questions that need to be answered. So, any help would be very welcome.

1. How can I "mute" the device. I like to play at night when everybody sleeps. Even the starting sound is annoying and the only thing I can do is to cover with my thumbs both speakers. This is awkward. Also, is there an option to start with the same sound level each game?

2. How can I soft-reset the divice and return quickly to the launcher screen? There are some games in Mame for instance) that freeze during gameplay. The only thing I can do is to switch off the device. This is awkward too. Is there a general rule to go back to my launcher when playing *any* game? In the GBA emulator there is an option to quit, in Mame there isn't.

3. Which batteries are better to work with? NiMh or NiCd

4. Is the F200 a serious upgrade to F100?

Thanks for your time.
Chris

1. Use the alternative frontend gmenu2x, and you can set up the volume for different apps. Also, i have heard recently that if you hold down the volume buttons when you turn the unit on, the startup sound is not played.

2. You need to know that in general, when you load an app/game, it take over complete control of the unit... therefore, if the program crashes - or enters an everlasting loop - you must do a hard reboot. I.e. the program you run is responsible for reloading the menu... and each program has a different way to do this. Read the readme.

3. Good quality NiMh's at least 2500mah.

4. it just has a few alterations to try to boost sales - mainly a new touchscreen and direction buttons instead of a joystick.

you can quit most apps with combinations of L+R+SELECT+START

You can replace the startup sound with silence

put a gp2xsound.wav on the root of the SD, make sure it's at least 2.71 seconds. Then boot up the device holding SELECT+START

It will change the sound in the firmware
Holding the colume controler also mutes the sound as mentioned but it's still annoying

Another way to mute volume (cheap "mod") get old speakers/headphones that don't work, chop off the wire, use the chopped off connector as a muting device by connecting it in the headphones plug... I do that all the time with all kind of things

mrsnature said:
1. Use the alternative frontend gmenu2x, and you can set up the volume for different apps. Also, i have heard recently that if you hold down the volume buttons when you turn the unit on, the startup sound is not played.

2. You need to know that in general, when you load an app/game, it take over complete control of the unit... therefore, if the program crashes - or enters an everlasting loop - you must do a hard reboot. I.e. the program you run is responsible for reloading the menu... and each program has a different way to do this. Read the readme.

3. Good quality NiMh's at least 2500mah.

4. it just has a few alterations to try to boost sales - mainly a new touchscreen and direction buttons instead of a joystick.
thanks for your fast & accurate response,

I have some more questions:

1. Explorer in gmenu2x gives me a black screen. Is this normal?

2. Which is the optimal speed to run? gmenu2x has an option to adjust MHz. Which is the most stable and fast value?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny because one of the improvements was better sound, but one of the biggest pains is that ridiculously loud start sound. The Volume [-] while booting mutes the start sound, but I'm probably going to try xcens suggestion.

2. Which is the optimal speed to run? gmenu2x has an option to adjust MHz. Which is the most stable and fast value?

200Mhz is the default speed, so most apps are made with this in mind. However, you can try reducing this if you like, to save battery. Or, if want to try to increase perfomance, try increasing it.

The frequency shown in gmenu2x is per application.

xcen said:
You can replace the startup sound with silence
This option pleased my wife when I was playing in bed (with my 2x :blink: ) works great, just enough silence to please everyone :D

Yeah but with the F200 you still have to worry about a game starting music at ultra high volume that cannot be reduced =s

The 1/8 connector trick is still the safest way to please everyone hehe

(GP2X in bed == Sooooo much light hahaha)

I love you guy :)

The chopped headphone is the KEY :p it works like a charm and now I don't have to care when I play in bus and anywhere else !!!!

Thank you
paxl13

xcen said:
Yeah but with the F200 you still have to worry about a game starting music at ultra high volume that cannot be reduced =s

yes, but doesn't gmenu2x have an option to set the sound level for each game before running it?

It does, and it works great. Unfortunately, some software ignore it :(

Alex. said:
I also noticed (maybe I did something wrong) that GBA emulator ignores the chopped headphone (which was of course inserted in the slot)

It's impossible, the chopped headphone is controled in HARDware, at least on the F100 :p

paxl13

xcen said:
Getting a black screen for explorer in gmenu2x is normal.

The Explorer links to the built-in F100 explorer application...

yes, one major improvement in FW 4.0 is taking away the file browser o_O go figure
seems to work on mine the explorer for some strange reason... :huh:

Alex. said:
i guess any software that sets up their own volume when running will overide the initial volume set by gmenu2x...

xpan said:
I also noticed (maybe I did something wrong) that GBA emulator ignores the chopped headphone (which was of course inserted in the slot)
lol

wait so does the gpmenu program work with v4. firmware? I was told it didnt and a new version was in the works? if it does work, do you just put it in the root of the sd and name it what? autorun.gpe ?

rammz: on a F200 with FW4.0?

Diplomat: it does work, just some features are broke. For instance, You cannot activate the USB programs (that connect the card reader or the NAND to the out USB port), since the F200 has a new card reader and USB chip, it won't work.

I would've expected that the Explorer would not have worked for the same reason...

don't forget that Gmenu2x is to the FW's OS what win 3.1 was to DOS =P So if something doesn't work as intended, just exit it =)

Clear instructions on how to install are available in the download package.

xpan said:
Alex. said:

I've had a problem with my headphones working and the sound still coming out of the speakers. I found out that I needed to make sure the plug was inserted all the way into the jack - usually it clicks once it's all the way in. I was watching a movie in bed when my wife finally looked at me with "WTF?" written all over her face. LOL!

Back