Changing (and Executing) Default Applications?

slippy

Still Fresh
Hi all, got my F200 a few days ago, and after recovering from the shock at the battery life, I'm loving it!

The thing is though, the built-in ebook reader is pretty lacking, and I use my F200 for reading as much as I do for anything else, and it's becoming a pain having to navigate my way to the reader and start it up every time I restart the machine.

So, my question is, is it possible to change the default applications executed by the F200? I've looked at autorunning one of the launcher apps out there, but to be honest, I quite like the default interface as it is.

I also wonder if it is possible to execute the home menu and default applications manually from a shell script or somesuch. For example, I may want to autorun a script on startup but then, after loading return to the home menu. At the moment, all I can do is have the script start up a 3rd party gui replacement after loading the items I want.

Thanks all

Slippy

It was certainly possible at one time, but I'm uncertain exactly how doable it is on Post 2.0 firmwares.

The way you change it is find out which executable is being run when you select the e-book icon and replace it with a script to launch your chosen reader.

The problem is that these days, the operating system resides in a separate filesystem image that you can get access to, and, at least if my GP2x is any example, the e-book reader is somewhere in there.

That said, this may not be the case anymore since FW 4.x is supposed to increase boot times a LOT, and the main reason boot times dropped from FW4.x levels originally was because of the transition to a different filesystem (specifically CramFS), iirc. Given that FW 4.x loads much slower, maybe they moved everything back to the same space?

I would highly recommend using gmenu2x. Allows you to do a lot and keeps everything organized. It makes it really easy to customize the programs you use often.

Thanks geo, and I agree that Gmenu2x is probably the best of the 3rd-party launchers out there, but it's not quite what I want, and doesn't seem to support the touchscreen. Also, I like the simplicity of the main menu system.

I guess I'll have to wait til I get a docking cradle so I can set it up on the network, telnet to the f200 and have a dig around.

Slippy Lane said:
Thanks geo, and I agree that Gmenu2x is probably the best of the 3rd-party launchers out there, but it's not quite what I want, and doesn't seem to support the touchscreen. Also, I like the simplicity of the main menu system.

I guess I'll have to wait til I get a docking cradle so I can set it up on the network, telnet to the f200 and have a dig around.
you can do an autorun.gpe, the gp2x will run the script just before loading the menu (gmenu2x works this way for example) to make your gp2x launch the text reader you want.

I read a lot too, i use GReader2x http://greader2x.sourceforge.net/ it supports really anything you want, also audio playback

Last edited by a moderator:
Eclipse said:
you can do an autorun.gpe, the gp2x will run the script just before loading the menu (gmenu2x works this way for example) to make your gp2x launch the text reader you want.

I read a lot too, i use GReader2x http://greader2x.sourceforge.net/ it supports really anything you want, also audio playback

That's just what I've ended up doing, although I then found I couldn't do anything other than read books, so I've followed the exec call to the vtex reader (which I use constantly, lol) with a call to launch the home menu, the code for which I found by reading the exec calls in the link files for GMenu2x, lol.

Next question: Are there ANY applications out there that make use of the F200's touchscreen? I can't seem to find any, yet I'd have expected to find shells and editors galore making use of the touchscreen for a virtual keyboard.

Am I just looking in the wrong place???

Slippy Lane said:
Next question: Are there ANY applications out there that make use of the F200's touchscreen? I can't seem to find any, yet I'd have expected to find shells and editors galore making use of the touchscreen for a virtual keyboard.

You may want to start new topics in case people glance over your initial question. Luckily there is a simple answer here.

bman said:
Slippy Lane said:
You may want to start new topics in case people glance over your initial question. Luckily there is a simple answer here.

Unfortunately, that blog hasn't been updated for a while already. There are quite a number of new games that support touchscreen (B'lox!, General Promise, and the rest of the GLBasic Competition entries, Space Varments, TTD2X, Factor, STPPC2x, etc.).

Slippy Lane said:

I can't really think of that many applications (not games) that support touchscreen. Those that I can remember are: Graffiti (a paint app), ommpc2x, termula2x, and I think some limited support for one of the music trackers.

(There is also Writer2x, which is a handwriting recognition app, but it got stalled/abandoned. :( )

Back