Some Pandora questions

I'm not wrong. Usb and sd cards are backwards compatible.
Yes you are, because that statement is so vague that has no meaning at all.

We've already explained it but I'll do it again. Pandora has a usb port USB 2.0 compatible which doesn't detect USB 1.1 devices. And it also has another USB 1.1 compatible port that doesn't detect USB 2.0 devices. And neither of those ports are USB 3.0 compatible. Now, that doesn't mean that a USB 3.0 device wont work in the pandora BUT that will be because either that device is ALSO usb 2.0 or 1.1 compatible. OR that you are using it through a usb HUB that adds USB 3.0 compatibility to older ports.

And regarding SD cards, the Slots in the pandora are SDHC compatible. And SDXC cards are only SDHC compatible until version 3.0. So for the upcoming 4.0 version of the standard, SDXC cards wont be readable from SDHC readers.

Also people have come up with the acronym opt for open pandora team.
Good, I didn't know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the form factor, but the electronic interface is different.

"SDHC devices will only support the SDXC cards which use UHS104 speeds;[32] SDHC devices will not recognize the SDXC cards which use the faster (SD 4.0), final specification of SDXC.[47]"

It's all here, really.

It was all in joseLuis's original post on the matter, it's explained quite clearly that current SDXC cards aren't using the full SD 4 spec so they can still be read by current SDHC readers, such as the Pandora.

It was all in joseLuis's original post on the matter, it's explained quite clearly that current SDXC cards aren't using the full SD 4 spec so they can still be read by current SDHC readers, such as the Pandora.
Which is why I am happy. I just wish the prices dropped a bit on those large spacious cards.

Yes and no. CURRENT SDXC cards only use spec 3.0 and are thus backwards compatible. Future cards will use 4.0 which allows faster speed and higher capacity (at least within spec limits), and will not be compatible with current SDHC readers due to different electronics.

I'm confused that link says that sdxc cards are backwards compatible and that spec 4.0 will not be compatible. What is the electronic interface? Is that the contacts?
Different electronic interface means that SDXC revision 4.0 cards will "speak" a different electronic language that wont be understood by pre-4.0 SDHC readers.

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

SD support includes FAT, EXT2, EXT3 and soon EXT4, maybe others too. What was your specific question?
In regards to filesystem, I was wondering which that opt supported internally. As I thought the OS was installed on a flash drive, it running on a file system I could directly access without having to run linux in a VM would have been preferable. However, as the OS resides on internal flash memory, that's a non-issue.

The keyboard is better than a touchscreen, but still only really good for thumb typing.
Yeah, I realize that. I'm currently caught in a bit of a pickle. I'm looking for something with a real physical keyboard, that's as large as possible while (important part) fitting easily in a pocket. There are a few android like this - the Droid phones, for example - but I need something that's entirely open, where I won't need to worry about maintaining root access and using the device as I intend, with the software I want, and not necessarily as the developer intended. I don't need a phone, nor do I need more "social networking tools". Basically, I just want a pocket sized linux PC.

Also, all debian-arm packages are binary compatible with Angstrom on the Pandora. Ubuntu is based on Debian. So in theory, you can run all debian/ubuntu software directly on the pandora. :)
Ah, well that's handy. It's a good starting point if nothing else.

In regards to filesystem, I was wondering which that opt supported internally. As I thought the OS was installed on a flash drive, it running on a file system I could directly access without having to run linux in a VM would have been preferable. However, as the OS resides on internal flash memory, that's a non-issue.
I *think* that the internal NAND uses UBIFS, if I'm remembering correctly (don't quote me on this, though - I could well have gotten confused somewhere along the line :p ). I'm not too sure where using a VM comes into it, though - why would you require this, if you don't mind my asking?

EDIT: Gah, never mind. I appear to have misunderstood. Yup, I've gotten confused alright! :lol:

Also, all debian-arm packages are binary compatible with Angstrom on the Pandora. Ubuntu is based on Debian. So in theory, you can run all debian/ubuntu software directly on the pandora. :)
That's true, although most of them are probably linked to different libraries versions and wont work if not providing them with the libraries they expect. That's solved with the Stuckie's project Debian in an extend.

That's true, although most of them are probably linked to different libraries versions and wont work if not providing them with the libraries they expect. That's solved with the Stuckie's project Debian in an extend.
Thank you for adding that. I didn't want to go into too much detail, hence the "in theory" :)

If I understand correctly, those libraries can also be supplied in the .pnd file.

To be clear, as OP suspected it will also be possible to run the OS (be it Angstrom, Debian, Gentoo/neuvoo and whatnot) directly from one of the SD cards.

edit: neuvoo link added.

Yes, true. Stuckie's system is not the only way of running a Debian precompiled app in Angstrom. In theory you could make a PND including all dependencies and export the needed environment variables so that the application works.

And as you say, you can also run the OS from a SD, and you can have enough space to install and compile all you need. That's exactly what I'm doing, I have Angstrom installed my first SD and autoboot directly there.

What it's not done yet is a boot menu in the style of lilo/grub. That would be very handy.

Back