Some Pandora/Pyra questions.

Okay, but on the SZ angstrom install I'm running (1.60), /bin/busybox isn't softlinked to anything, and is only hardlinked to itself. So it seems to me that the only way to get there on a Pandora is to invoke it directly.

I've used it on my old N770, and it was a bit of a pain there when I tried to do anything useful. I haven't experienced anything like it on the Pandora.

So it seems to me it's not right to say Pandora runs busybox. Pandora contains the busybox file on it's FS, but nothing uses it, so it's pretty redundant AFAICT. Is it an oversight that it's included? Was it used on previous SZ versions? How did Moxie end up using it?
On my system ash, sh, df, traceroute, telnet and others are symlinked to busybox. Haven't done a reflash, but I think these are still there. The most important IMO is /bin/sh, because busybox is setuid this leads to subtle incompatibilities because some env variables (like LD_LIBRARY_PATH) cannot be passed into a subshell on a Pandora.

Fun fact: in one of the endless Linux vs. GNU discussions it was argued that GNU is irrelevant because Pandora uses busybox.

Hmm, you're quite right. ls -l /bin/sh shows me that is soft linked to /bin/busybox. I can't remember what advice I used to scan for soft links while I was researching that post you quote, but obviously that advice was wrong.

Change busybox for coreutils and you will find a lot more GNU utils, ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but maybe busybox was needed for u-boot, and coreutils, binutils, findutils and other GNU utils come pre-installed.

Back