Gimp, Blender, Openoffice, Wacom Tablet

-Tj-

Hey everyone! I've been watching Pandora's progress off-and-on for a while now, but recently my interest in it has grown to the point where I want to buy one. However, aside from the fact that it's now sold out till the 2nd batch, I have some questions about it that I haven't really been able to find answers for.

I understand some form of Ubuntu could be run on it, but I have no Linux experience. Figured I'd ask my questions where the experts would be.

So, could these work on Pandora: Gimp, Blender, OpenOffice, Linux Wacom drivers?

My idea is to have Pandora mainly as a game/multimedia machine, but if it can do any of the above I could also have it replace my WinMo phone for certain jobs (then get a much cheaper phone that does less).

Last question's kind of just of the "could it be done" sorts: could it run a build of Windows Mobile? I'm looking at the ARM-based processor as the reasoning behind this question, and I know there's a lot more to it than just that, but it'd be awesome if I could have Pandora running all the WinMo apps I use most often.

craigix said:
Yes it can run those programs, but there is no windows support.
I believe that craigix refers to Windows x86 here; it will be impossible to run Windows x86 programs, but WinME (not millenium edition :)) could theoretically run.

You'd be on your own if you'd want to install it, however, since there really aren't any others interested in running ME on the Pandora. Linux has alternatives to all of the applications that WinME would provide for you, so unless there's some really important application that only exists for ME and is really unique and must-have for you, then there wouldn't really be a reason to install ME (it would for example not have WiFi or 3D drivers so it's not really a compelling alternative to Linux)

Last edited by a moderator:
GIMP: Already seen it running IIRC. GIMP is a very simple program in terms of dependencies, there is no problem porting it at all.
Blender: Should happen eventually, but somebody might need to tinker with the graphics code first since we're using OpenGL ES.
OpenOffice: Should work fine, but I think they're hoping to use Abiword and Gnumeric, which are lighter versions of OO Word and OO Calc or whatever those things are called.

Wacom drivers: If the drivers are open-source, then yes. However, note that USB devices are not necessarily power-efficient, so plugging in a tablet will drain your battery much faster than .. than not plugging in a tablet.

Gimp and office should be pretty much running already.

Wacom tablet support should be possible if you can make it work with open source driver (wacom also has close driver I believe)... but really you might have to mess around a bit. It's not totally impossible that it works out of the box but I wouldn't put too much hope into that.

What is WinME? Is that supposed to be Mobile edition? I have never actually heard it as such. My Pocket PC has WinCE, and I know they changed it to Windows Mobile for Phones but I never knew they were dumb enough to call it WinME after they had Millenium Edition.Anyway I thought someone got Windows CE/Mobile running on the beagleboard and suggested it could run on the Pandora, i hope so cause I'd like to run my Pocket PC software on my Pandora and not have to use my PDA anymore. If not well, I'll be having so much fun with my Pandora I could probably never remember my Pocket PC anymore...But Angel Egg is an awesome Pinall game....

Poem58 said:
What is WinME? Is that supposed to be Mobile edition?
It's actually called WinCE, but people call it WinME anyways because of 1. Microsoft's attempt to rebrand it to Windows Mobile and 2. because there are people out there who think that CE is as big a failure as ME was (and I don't fully agree, but they have a point)

Wow that was quick! Thanks for the replies. :)

Glad to hear that most (or all) of the stuff I mentioned will work. That pretty much solidifies my decision to try and get one during the next batch of orders.

I checked Wacom's drivers site, but they don't have their own drivers for Linux. Rather, they send you to the Linux Wacom Project site. I'm not too worried about battery drain (I expect to be plugged in if I do use a tablet), so hopefully that'll be something I can look forward to.

Gimp, OpenOffice (or variants), Blender... awesome!

On Windows: I was thinking of Windows Mobile, the ones that run on cell phones. I believe those run on ARM and other processors other than x86-based ones, and is based on Win CE 4.0 or something like that. Might not be something I think I'd use often, but would be nice to run some of the apps I have on it on better (faster) hardware. :D But it's true, if it can run Linux, I can probably find similar or even better apps for it.

-Tj- said:
On Windows: I was thinking of Windows Mobile, the ones that run on cell phones. I believe those run on ARM and other processors other than x86-based ones, and is based on Win CE 4.0 or something like that. Might not be something I think I'd use often, but would be nice to run some of the apps I have on it on better (faster) hardware. :D But it's true, if it can run Linux, I can probably find similar or even better apps for it.

Yeah, My pocket PC runs an Arm Xscale Processor at 400Mhz. The Pandora at 400 Mhz would still crush my Pocket PC! And While I would hardly use WinCE/Mobile myself I'd like the ability if just for a couple of games like the before mentioned Angel Egg Pinball which I still can't stop playing. While there is a Windows version it is sold and not something that could be ported. Incredible depth for Pinball, and incredible gameplay for a pocket PC. It'd just be nice to hand my Pocket PC over to my son and be able to play the Pinball game on Pandora. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

Poem58 said:
..... While there is a Windows version it is sold and not something that could be ported....
I guess you mean old rather than sold ? :blink: When you say could not be ported....Smart Devices wrote/commissioned a custom version of WinCE 6.0 for their SmartQ 5 & 7 MIDS (ARM11 cpu) because the initial feedback from their customers was that the Linux OS was too slow, so now they have the option of a Linux or WinCE on start-up. Some of the Chinese SmartQ forum members have been customising WinCE ( I believe with the Microsoft trial version of the SDK which runs on Visual Studio 2005 only) to a more finger friendly look - example here; http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159 .
Maybe the Windows die-hards could have their wish of running a version of Windows on the Pandora after all, if someone is willing to buy the SDK and compile an image.

.......Is that petrol I can smell?

with my wacom, it didnt need drivers (in windows).. i think it recognises it as a generic input device. odd however it even notices the drush stregnths. i will check on my laptop in ubuntu and see.

@Nation.A.List

I think you may have misunderstood Poem58, I `m pretty sure he was referring to the Angle Egg Pinball game (Being commercial/shareware and sold for cash, So no source code, Thus no port) and not WinCE.

Trooper

trooper said:
@Nation.A.List

I think you may have misunderstood Poem58, I `m pretty sure he was referring to the Angle Egg Pinball game (Being commercial/shareware and sold for cash, So no source code, Thus no port) and not WinCE.

Trooper
Oooops, now you put it that way it makes sense, and I didn't.

Trevsweb said:
with my wacom, it didnt need drivers (in windows).. i think it recognises it as a generic input device. odd however it even notices the drush stregnths. i will check on my laptop in ubuntu and see.
Ubuntu now supports my Graphire 3 tablet including pressure levels in the Gimp.
They did have some problems (up until the last release of Ubuntu) with it only being detected as a basic mouse type device if you unplugged it from the USB and then plugged it back in again. You had to restart or log back in to get the pressure working again, but they seem to have worked out the bugs :)

As far as I'm aware Wacom support should be included within the standard Kernel these days?

Great! I'm glad to hear tablet and pressure work in Linux. Getting it to detect as a mouse is fine, but with tracking and pressure, even better. Money being set aside now...

Tripmonkey_uk said:
As far as I'm aware Wacom support should be included within the standard Kernel these days?
Kernel? Yes.
In X.Org? Dunno.

Wacoms will probably not work out of the box inside of Ångström because that feature might have been compiled away, but who knows...

dflemstr said:
Poem58 said:
What is WinME? Is that supposed to be Mobile edition?
It's actually called WinCE, but people call it WinME anyways because of 1. Microsoft's attempt to rebrand it to Windows Mobile and 2. because there are people out there who think that CE is as big a failure as ME was (and I don't fully agree, but they have a point)

Just a quick correction to the above.
Windows Mobile isn't just a rebrand of Windows CE; they are separate products. Windows Mobile is based on WinCE but with a different shell and other libraries added.
I've seen Windows Mobile written as WinMo and Windows CE as WinCE but I've never seen WinME as anything other than Milennium edition.

Windows CE is used on all sorts of devices: GPS units, media players, and probably cash machines and set-top boxes.
Windows Mobile is generally used on PDAs and phones

It is true that Windows Mobile was rebranded a couple of years ago. What were previously known as Pocket PC, Pocket PC phone and Smartphone were rebranded to Windows Mobile Classic, Professional and Standard, respectively. (Although that's confusing so I think everyone apart from marketing people still call them Pocket PC or Smartphone).
(So if your phone was a Pocket PC or Smartphone, then yes it was running Windows CE but more specicially it was running the Windows Mobile version of WinCE)

Some people say Windows Mobile doesn't add much value and that you're better off just using Windows CE because it is cleaner. There is at least one Windows CE (not Windows Mobile) phone out: The Meizu M8 (a Chinese iphone clone but one that does a very good job from what I've heard, and also has a multi-touch capacitative screen, unlike any Windows Mobile phone on the market right now).

CE can run run on a number of platforms: ARM, x86, MIPS and others. So technically it would be possible to have it running on the Pandora hardware; you'd just need the right drivers, etc.

In terms of running Windows Mobile apps on Windows CE, it could be a bit hit & miss. If running on ARM then the binaries will be compatible but it depends on libraries used, etc.

Stephen

PS I understand that CE started off as a stripped-down version of Windows 2000 (Microsoft's best OS IMHO) so at least it was starting on a reaonable footing.
PPS Well guessed; yes I develop for Windows Mobile / CE in my day job but I'm also a big fan of devices running Linux and the Pandora in particular.

Back