Wine And Portalized

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Hello,

Just pre-ordered today and now I am in for, "The Big Wait"tm , But I have a few questions.

There is an ARM version of WINE, what are the chances of WINE coming over to Pandora? I know it crazy thinking but I was wondering if at all possible to try and fudge it and get WoW running on Pandora. Probably not, but I would like options.

I am probably going to be in favor of a Linux distro as my OS, I haven't seen the GP32 OS but, when I first saw the Pandora I thought of a MID that was a gaming console as well. This is what I have been waiting for, for SUCH a long time, thank you to the Pandora team for getting this far. 2 Months is definitely a long way away.

Second:

Portalized. If you haven't seen this yet, you should. Click Here to see videos of Portalized on a blog.

Click Here for the official website.

It's been in development for a little while and I was wondering if we can get the community to contact the authors and show how much we would really like to see Portalized on the Pandora platform.

After watching the videos you should be able to see that this is Portal +1.

That's it, it's been a long day.

Thanks again Pandora team!

There actually is an arm version of WINE? I know people have speculated about the possibility of it, but I didn't know it actually existed. Anyway, you would not be able to run World of Warcraft on it, because as the name says, Wine Is Not an Emulator. WoW is x86 only, the Pandora is ARM. An ARM version of WINE could probably be used for emulating Windows Mobile / Windows CE apps (yeah, I know they're not the same, but I don't care enough to research the differences.)

There is no arm version of wine. There is an x86 emulator that makes WINE work, but that will definitely not work for ANY reasonable application.

also, portal was overrated enough as it is. hate to say it, but an open source version will never match up to the real one, or anywhere close

also loling hard its a facepunch user. no wonder hes a total prick.

PoisonedV said:
also loling hard its a facepunch user. no wonder hes a total prick.
Couldn't agree more there.

And an ARM version of WINE? I did hear not too long ago that there was a project for making an ARM WINE for Windows Mobile/CE, but that it didn't get very far. That may be what he was talking about. But then he said WoW, so uh, no.

Oh, also the Pandora's OS is Linux. The GMenu is I think what's shipping on it, but there may be a full windowed GUI in the works as well which should be as far as you'd need an OS to go on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we could put together a distributed computing system using all the existing, Internet-connected Pandoras and take turns playing Portal and using Windows XP.

Until then, no.

Not sure if any of you played Narbacular Drop (the original Portal) but something on that scale is a much more likely possibility for Pandora. Unfortunately I don't think the source was ever released and even if it was it was made for DirectX.

Back