Questions

TheLonelyGod

Still Fresh
I'm sorry if i'm wasting your time by posting, but i've been on the forum looking and i couldn't find the answers to these questions so i'll ask.

OK first, how does applications from the gp2x port over? Thier is a copy of cave story that runs on the gp2x. If i got a pandora would i be able to run that game? I'm not really sure about the os and backwards computability.

Ok second question. Pandora is touch screen but i've haven't been able to see a stylus. Will one come with it like the f200 (and if thats the case does it go in(DS) or out (gp2x f200) of the pandora) or is the screen like the iphone and resistant to everything?

Last question, Will the Pandora come with an ac charger or is it only usb charger based?

Actually one more question. Is it Pandora or The Pandora? :D

Woot my second post. lol

Oh and I'm looking forward to being part of the community and thanks for having me!

TheLonelyGod said:
I'm sorry if i'm wasting your time by posting, but i've been on the forum looking and i couldn't find the answers to these questions so i'll ask.

OK first, how does applications from the gp2x port over? Thier is a copy of cave story that runs on the gp2x. If i got a pandora would i be able to run that game? I'm not really sure about the os and backwards computability.

Ok second question. Pandora is touch screen but i've haven't been able to see a stylus. Will one come with it like the f200 (and if thats the case does it go in(DS) or out (gp2x f200) of the pandora) or is the screen like the iphone and resistant to everything?
Woot my second post. lol

Oh and I'm looking forward to being part of the community and thanks for having me!

The applications from the GP2X should port very easily, or possibly even run on the Pandora in their current state, as both systems use the ARM architecture. (Someone more knowledgeable about ARM might need to correct me here.)

It's hard to tell if there's been any official word about a stylus being included, but I seem to remember Craig or MWeston (two of the creators of the Pandora) talking about the placing of the stylus next to the battery (meaning there will be a stylus embedded in the case).

You're welcome. (Those were both good questions, by the way, as they are ones that aren't overly discussed on here.)

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's "Pandora" or "The Pandora." I think it's name is "Pandora", but most people will call it "the Pandora".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there,

1) GP2X and Pandora are totally different machines. You wouldn't be able to run a GP2X executable directly on Pandora, the source would have to be ported and compiled for Pandora. But no doubt some GP2X apps will get ported.

2) Someone said MWeston had mentioned a stylus in the past. So apparently it will have one (as we would expect on a TS device).

EDIT: Vorporeal beat me to it by seconds! :p

Prophet said:
Hey there,

1) GP2X and Pandora are totally different machines. You wouldn't be able to run a GP2X executable directly on Pandora, the source would have to be ported and compiled for Pandora. But no doubt some GP2X apps will get ported.

2) Someone said MWeston had mentioned a stylus in the past. So apparently it will have one (as we would expect on a TS device).

EDIT: Vorporeal beat me to it by seconds! :p
Thanks for correcting me on the recompilation part. I wasn't sure if the recompilation would be necessary, but it shouldn't require an actual port. (right?)

1. If there's source code, then it can be ported without too much hassle (as both are ARM machines and have the same endianness).

2. It will come with an stylus, and they will include a spot to store the stylus.

3. The Pandora will have a dedicated port for charging, though it will also charge through the USB port.

4. I name it The Pandora. But don't really now. ;)

Hope I'm not mistaken in any of the answers.

Wow that was fast.
Thanks guys

Ok so can you link me to something explaining what arm is?
Like i get its an os but what makes it so great and why is it being used for the Pandora? (Just so i can see if i could do the port of cave story myself (doubt it though))

I can do java, c++, vb, pype and more so don't leave out any fun details.

That looks like a fun read.
So is their and os made right now? does it look like anything?
I liked the look of the one on the f200, with the simple blue and the touching or is that still to come after the hard wear is figured out?

What you are referring to on the F200 is the GUI or graphical user interface. Either way, a GUI hasn't been implemented or even decided on yet for the Pandora .

TheLonelyGod said:
That looks like a fun read.
So is their and os made right now? does it look like anything?
I liked the look of the one on the f200, with the simple blue and the touching or is that still to come after the hard wear is figured out?
The ubiquity of Windows has made it a common misconception that "OS" and "GUI" are synonymous. The OS will be some flavor of Linux, probably Debian. I don't remember seeing a 100% confirmation of this, only a few "probably"s. The GUI is as-of-yet undetermined. There have been several suggestions and mockups, mostly in this thread.

I don't know how much of the forum you've read through, but the basic plan is to ship 100 pre-release (possibly un-assembled) units to known developers / tinkerers. Minor adjustments / fixes can be made to the design before the final units are manufactured based on feedback on these units. I suspect that the test units will ship without any sort of GUI, and that hopefully one of the devs that receives one will write one. With so many creative programmers in the community, there will no doubt be several GUI options available within a short time of the official launch.

Back