Some more of my ideas

Oh right, I forgot that Ed is an 
archon_warp.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any reason we're going for full SD instead of MicroSD? I understand cards are cheaper, but, forgive my ignorance, I see no other reason for full SD slots? Would there be no real reduction in space, or is there some dark magic feature with full SD which only those versed in the ways of Pandora know about?  :lol:

Is there any reason we're going for full SD instead of MicroSD? I understand cards are cheaper, but, forgive my ignorance, I see no other reason for full SD slots? Would there be no real reduction in space, or is there some dark magic feature with full SD which only those versed in the ways of Pandora know about?  :lol:
Here's the short of it if you want to avoid going through a bazillion arguments and flames on the matter.

1) Full SD has more capacity at the highest end than microSD

2) Since full SD can easily accommodate any type of smaller SD card with a cheap adapter that usually comes with the cards, an SD device can take everything. This is good for interoperability with other devices. While micro to full SD adapters exist they're a lot more cumbersome.

2b) The community has a bunch of SD cards already by virtue of using them with those devices

3) There are SDIO devices that are not microSD form-factor that could maybe possibly be useful.

There's some other point about performance that may or may not have any real applicability.

Hope the screen will also be matte.
 That's really important.

Else it's hard to read in sunlight.
That's not actually true. There are more properties than just matte/glossy when it comes to things such as screen readability, in sunlight or elsewhere.
Take, for instance, Nokia's ClearBlack technology, which particularly allows for good readability in direct sunlight (example). I'm not an expert in these things, but I have seen a few different glossy screens in my life which appeared to use comparable (yet somewhat different from each other) technologies in order to mix "typical" properties of "regular" matte screens with "typical" properties of "regular" glossy screens.

Note that screen gloss can also /improve/ readability. After all, matte screens diffuse light, thereby reducing contrast of texts and of all other types of content displayed on the screen. Glossy screens, on the other hand, "typically" sport a higher contrast in comparison to "typical" matte screens. In conclusion, glossy screens can even be the preferable option, of course depending on the exact circumstances of the situation and of the screens in question.

Please excuse a possibly rough writing style of this message, I'm having the flu.

Here's the short of it if you want to avoid going through a bazillion arguments and flames on the matter.

1) Full SD has more capacity at the highest end than microSD

2) Since full SD can easily accommodate any type of smaller SD card with a cheap adapter that usually comes with the cards, an SD device can take everything. This is good for interoperability with other devices. While micro to full SD adapters exist they're a lot more cumbersome.

2b) The community has a bunch of SD cards already by virtue of using them with those devices

3) There are SDIO devices that are not microSD form-factor that could maybe possibly be useful.

There's some other point about performance that may or may not have any real applicability.
Exo pretty much nailed it.

Since that old thread, SD and microSD releases and advancements have pretty much gone stagnant.

Full size SD can still handle 4X the capacity of microSD (256GB vs 64GB).

To get a microSD card that is as fast as a 'fast' 128GB SDXC card, the microSD's capacity drops to <=32GB.

The part that really shocks me is how stable that has been. By now I'd expected full size SD to be in the 512GB+ range and microSD to have 128GB card - maybe even 256GB.

Phone manufacturers are starting to talk about adding a 2nd microSD slot.

Pentax and other camera manufacturers looking at quad-HD video are starting to talk (maybe doing) about adding a 2nd full size SD slot and a 2 channel RAID controller to double size & speed (stripe) or ensure backup (mirror).

So, yeah, full size SD please. I have two 128GB cards (256GB total) in my Pandora. I'd rather not have it's successor require me to roll back my on-device storage by half or more.

^ I'd also add that some users like to use their pandora to access photos from their cameras - since cameras uniformly use fullSD, this would be rather difficult with an exclusively microSD pandoralike.

Im guessing as with most carbon fiber its interleaving is what dictates the breaking force and the direction of force is a lot more important. The raw price of aluminium is 12dollars per kilo last time i checked. Its the milling that costs. Molding aluminum i dont think makes sense for small things.

Carbon fibre with plastic sounds like the best of everything. Hoping its non-toxic plastic and that its recycled.
The Aluminum Corporation of America (Alcoa) is really close to my house. its so cool to see the big trucks drive by with giant vats of molten aluminum

Hmm

Know what I would find interesting? Replace the TWL with a Cortex-M0, something that we can reprogram if we want specific control over stuff. Give it access to the LEDs and the screen and you can have it do the off-mode charging and display all kinds of useful stuff.

It's probably not a good idea, there are better chips that have been specifically designed for this purpose and improved over several years, it just sounds like it would be fun.

Hi ED,

Have you had any thoughts relating to this question in the ask ED questions section?

A bit of clarification there would certainly help the community provide more useful & realistic specification / feature requests.

Hmm

Know what I would find interesting? Replace the TWL with a Cortex-M0, something that we can reprogram if we want specific control over stuff. Give it access to the LEDs and the screen and you can have it do the off-mode charging and display all kinds of useful stuff.

It's probably not a good idea, there are better chips that have been specifically designed for this purpose and improved over several years, it just sounds like it would be fun.
You can't replace a PMIC with a microcontroller, its main duty is to regulate a bunch of power rails..

Is OpenGL (as opposed to GL|ES) really that important? I feel like a lot of progress has been made lately on running GL apps on a GL|ES GPU (thanks to lunixbochs), so I don't know if hardware OpenGL support is really a must.
 Lunixbochs Port does not support open gl 2.0 and above (shaders) which make newer games harder to port.
 I've already done a ton of work toward supporting shaders. Faster GPU will probably tip my hand to finishing that.

I've already done a ton of work toward supporting shaders. Faster GPU will probably tip my hand to finishing that.
You did what? :blink:   This must was surely lots and lots of work. Thank you :wub:

I've only just discovered this thread, and from skimming through there is one suggestion that I haven't noticed... price.

The only thing I'd like to see improved on the Pandora (granted I've never actually used one) it to make it cheaper... it's kinda prohibitively expensive.

But I don't know how possible this could be.

Well we should get up to date hardware. The p1 was delayed and the hardware was a touch outmoded when finally released.

At least we should get what we pay for.

There are already a lot of cheap chinese android devices out there. And there's also the GCW-Zero. If you want cheap, there are enough options already.

I think the P2 should focus on quality and durability, not on being as cheap as possible. Even if you try to make something like this cheap, it will still be moderately expensive (a project like this simply does not have the economy of scale to allow for really cheap end-user prices). But in that scenario, it would be a moderately expensive piece of crap instead of an expensive masterpiece.

That's not to say that ED should sell it at artificially inflated prices or to use unnecessarily expensive components - but he wouldn't do that anyway.

Back