[solved] Problems powering the (classic) Pandora

thatgui

Advanced Member
First, this isn't a problem I'm experiencing, I'm just taking care of ticket in the op.org ticket system. I'm just wanting to rule out some things, so maybe I can advise the inquirer on how to proceed next.

The case:

• Classic Pandora
  • Pandora seems to have never been chargeable through usb
  • Pandord started to stop charging the battery at lesser percentages over time (first up to 90%, then only up to 80%, now only up to 35%)
  • Battery seems to be fine (tested in a second on site (rebirth) Pandora)
  • The Pandora can only be powered on via the switch occasionally (while not beeing connected to a powersource)
  • Plugging in a power source (DC connector) starts the Pandora, but leaving it plugged in will lead to a black screen after the first Logo appeared
  • If plugging in a power the (DC connector) to start the Pandora and immediately disconnecting the power plug after starting her, the Pandora works fine
  • Plugging in the power source while running the Pandora lead to a reset

Last edited by a moderator:
Yupp, did solve some other problems he had with it, but the initially described problem did not vanish

First, this isn't a problem I'm experiencing, I'm just taking care of ticket in the op.org ticket system. I'm just wanting to rule out some things, so maybe I can advise the inquirer on how to proceed next.
Taking that list as a whole my instinct says that there could be a hardware problem here and it may be worth having them RMA the unit.

That being said, I do have some comments on some of the individual list items.

• Pandora seems to have never been chargeable through usb
Have they tried connecting it directly to a Powered hub/ Internal root hub of the device they are attempting to charge from? USB charging is a bit finicky only seems to works if it can draw at least 500ma, so charging from an unpowered hub probably won't work. I've also read that it is sensitive to the voltage level being supplied.

• Pandord started to stop charging the battery at lesser percentages over time (first up to 90%, then only up to 80%, now only up to 35%)
This sounds like the BQ chip needs to be recalibrated according to WizardStan's instructions here.

• The Pandora can only be powered on via the switch occasionally (while not being connected to a powersource)
So if the Pandora is off and you sometimes can't turn it on by sliding the switch to the right and releasing it? Does it reliably respond to Pandora + Power Switch to force a reboot?

• Plugging in a power source (DC connector) starts the Pandora, but leaving it plugged in will lead to a black screen after the first Logo appeared
I sometimes see this on my own unit if I reboot with the power connected. (black screen after first logo, backlight on) I don't know what causes it but I can't consistently recreate it either.

- Neelix

Taking that list as a whole my instinct says that there could be a hardware problem here and it may be worth having them RMA the unit.
Mine too, don't know wether his Pandora is still in warranty or not, though
Have they tried connecting it directly to a Powered hub/ Internal root hub of the device they are attempting to charge from? USB charging is a bit finicky only seems to works if it can draw at least 500ma, so charging from an unpowered hub probably won't work. I've also read that it is sensitive to the voltage level being supplied.
As far as I did understand him, he tried several different "powers sources" regarding that

This sounds like the BQ chip needs to be recalibrated according to WizardStan's instructions here.
Thanks, will let him know about that 
So if the Pandora is off and you sometimes can't turn it on by sliding the switch to the right and releasing it? Does it reliably respond to Pandora + Power Switch to force a reboot?
Thats the strange thing: he reports that resetting the Pandora via Pandora Button + Power Switch works every time he tries it. But starting the Pandora via the Power switch only works rarely - he suspected a loose connection first, as it sometimes works (very rarely though)

My Pandora has a problem charging the battery as well. Any help/ideas welcome.

I am not sure anymore if the Pandora could be charged with the PSU. But it definitely stopped doing so some days after I received it.

As charging using USB worked, I didn't care much.

Yesterday though, it got weired. Plugging in the USB-cable didn't do anything. After some minutes, it started to boot up. Then around the time the desktop has started the power LED stats to blink like it does when the battery is low.

The USB cable is still connected. Then after some moments it is turned off :(

So it seems, the battery gets charged just enough to start up the Pandora and then the charging is stopped (by the battery controller?)

If a detailed description is needed I will go thru the whole process again and add the details.

Thanks for reading

Thats the strange thing: he reports that resetting the Pandora via Pandora Button + Power Switch works every time he tries it. But starting the Pandora via the Power switch only works rarely - he suspected a loose connection first, as it sometimes works (very rarely though)
That's very odd, but again I'm thinking hardware issue...
Perhaps someone who knows the innards of a Pandora better than I do could offer more insight.

- Neelix

an unexpected turn of events:

As the customer was (according to himself) a little impatient, he decided to take the Pandora apart. He did not see anything unusual but just to be certain he resoldered the battery contacts and the contacts of the power connector. As of now his Pandora seems to work correctly and his battery is charging up to 100% again.

So case closed for now. I asked him to give me a status report after two or three weeks - we'll see

Got a report today, his unit is still working fine - so hooray and case closed

Back