[SOLVED]My Pandora Dream Has Come To An End...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the kind of thing that just makes you smile. A complete stranger bought you a $350 device out of the kindness of his heart. There is still some good left in the world after all.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Not big enough I'm afraid mate
sad.gif

I can't afford a TV licence up at my flat either, so I need something with a big enough screen to watch a downloaded film on directly without re-encoding it.. or a TV-Out cable so I can watch it on the TV in my living room. Unfortunately that was one of the main reasons for buying the Pandora.

I'm currently stuck up at the flat most of the day with no Internet, no TV licence and nothing else to do. That's why I'm currently biting at the bit for my Pandora to get here. I'm that bored that I've even started reading these things called books that are made out of dead trees and I've even started learning to draw
blink.gif

Wait a minute... TV... Liscence? o_O
Is there such a thing? Never heard of a TV liscence... oh, you mean TV service? oh ok. makes sense why you are downloading films.

books? I used to read thos things a lot, like two a day. Where I used to live, the electricity is not constant and cuts out a lot.

Anyway, I'm not so surprised that someone gave up their spot. I know people who are like that. I probaby wouldn't givwe up my spot though, if I had one, because I am short on money. And selling my beloved playstation collection to get a pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Com64 said:
Wait a minute... TV... Liscence? o_O
Is there such a thing? Never heard of a TV liscence... oh, you mean TV service? oh ok. makes sense why you are downloading films.
In the UK, we are required to pay an anachronistic tax to the British Broadcasting Corporation if we own a television that is used for receiving live broadcasts.

it is, however, very easy to get out of having to pay it.
you just ring them up and tell them you don't have a licence because you don't watch television. then you plug in a computer to said television and watch live tv via tvcatchup.com (or with an aerial if you're feeling extra fraudulent).

i've never had a tv licence since i moved out of my parents house in 2005, and after a phone call to the licencing people in each property i lived in have had no bother from them. it's fraudulent i suppose, but tv is mostly crap anyway so i bear no guilt. i watch about an hour of live tv (via tvcatchup) each week.

gibberish said:
it is, however, very easy to get out of having to pay it.
you just ring them up and tell them you don't have a licence because you don't watch television. then you plug in a computer to said television and watch live tv via tvcatchup.com (or with an aerial if you're feeling extra fraudulent).

i've never had a tv licence since i moved out of my parents house in 2005, and after a phone call to the licencing people in each property i lived in have had no bother from them. it's fraudulent i suppose, but tv is mostly crap anyway so i bear no guilt. i watch about an hour of live tv (via tvcatchup) each week.

Yeah, I dont have cable or anything either. someone decided to cancel it for the summer to get everyone out of the house more often. but we get 3 channels from a makeshift antenna.

I usually just download tv shows though.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
PokeParadox said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
-Tj- said:
Is there any kind of security measure we could put on Pandora? Maybe some kind of tracker if they log on? (just found an open source one)
I brought that project up about 2 years ago thinking that it would be a good idea but not many people seemed interested in it :(

Sorry about your Pandy Kev mate, hope the thief sees sense and leaves it in your bag sometime soon.

I'd let you have my slot but my laptops just bit the dust and I have no Internet at home so I really need a portable computer myself at the moment. Unless you have a laptop that I can borrow? then I'll happily give up my spot to you :)
EeePC? :)
Not big enough I'm afraid mate :(
Sorry then... my laptop died on me earlier in the year, so I have my eeePC and my tower which is where the devving magic occurs.

There was a guy at a place I used to work at several years ago who used to get a 'buzz' out of hiding stuff. Once he took someone's car keys and come the end of the shift meaning they had to get a lift home. The next day they looked all over the office for the keys, but to no avail. Later that day, the keys suddenly appeared out of nowhere, on a desk that had previously been searched.
Then there was the case of the missing laptop. The company was doing some very important work for a client and this particular laptop had some highly valuable files on it which wasn't backed up anywhere. On an important day it was planned to print off the documents in prep for the client coming into the office to show - these included powerpoint slides. About an hour before the presentation, the laptop vanished. Things didn't go down too well with the client that day and the company didn't win the contract. Around 5 days later, the laptop suddenly reappeared... it was sitting on a desk all booted up.
Things like this happened every few weeks and it was well known who the perpetrator was as he used to give clues and talk about weird topics excessively involving things going missing, crimes of the century and such stuff. Nothing was proven however.

Pandora mk2 needs some Spykee technology.. Build in a webcam that can auto send a few snap shots of as soon as someone opens it to your phone or email

or some remote access that you can log onto from next computer and control your system.. Be it delete sensortive data quick or type a text file on the screen saying how much you hate them, the thief with it

Fzero said:
Pandora mk2 needs some Spykee technology.. Build in a webcam that can auto send a few snap shots of as soon as someone opens it to your phone or email
Why do I get this feeling that this feature would lead to a great many folks would be getting their inboxes flooded with grumpy or gormless looking pictures of themselves all the time? :lol:

Yeah I meant it as a feature you activate.. But didn't think about how to activate it once it's been chiefed, I guess remotely is only way

you definately don't want it sending a snap every time, only once it's stolen....

.....I didn't really think the technical detail through did I ;)

Fzero said:
Yeah I meant it as a feature you activate.. But didn't think about how to activate it once it's been chiefed, I guess remotely is only way
you definately don't want it sending a snap every time, only once it's stolen....
.....I didn't really think the technical detail through did I ;)
As soon as it connects to the internet, it logs into a server somewhere. This server contains a database of Pandora unique IDs and a flag: stolen or not. Or maybe it's just a server you run on your computer. Anywho, the Pandora goes to this server, does an "am I stolen?" request, and if it is, it starts snapping pictures, email GPS coordinates, whatever it's got access to. So if your Pandora is stolen, you just log into this server, change its status, and wait.

@Fzero - It's a great idea in principle, though I have no idea how to make it work in practice. :p

EDIT: Aaaand ninja'd. :p

I strongly recommend checking local pawn shops. Stuff shows up there.

(Might be a good idea to file a police report 'first', so you don't wind up buying your own device back at market price!)

If that's true, that would be incredible!

That would be the second sad Pandora story with a happy ending here! :)

PokeParadox said:
No... freaking... way!

I've just had a phone call that someone has dropped my Pandora over at the Police station, so I need to go collect it! O_O It best be intact or I will hit the roof!

What this is no DS what the f do I do with it??? Hey whats this notice here at work :eek: no way !! I'd better return it.

Pandoras are true homing pigeons they tend to get back home :D

Wow, just wow.
When are you picking it up.. I hope it's not damaged! hopefully there is a way to connect it to the guy who stole it!

Congrats anyway :D

SteveM said:
You lucky barsteward!
QFT
lmao! Awesome a situation where this fits!
Anyway wish me luck, off to see how much of my Pandora was handed in... or if someone just stuck a label on a black DS saying "Pandora"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back