Sod - Snake On Dope

XaMMaX90 said:
Why screenshots in jpg? :D

Looks good, but why outlines black? Maybe do something like this:

192022bigthumbyk0.png
1 - Because of filesize.

2 - Because that's the way I want it to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
Hm, looks kind of like raster effects on old consoles
The ones that made gazillion Parallax-Layers possible even on Systems Like Megadrive? Pure hardware Specs says something like only "3 Planes: 2 Scrolling Playfields, 1 Sprite Plane..." and with this raster Effect/line Scroll trick you can't count the Scroll-Layers anymore.
Very impressive technique, I wish, there are more Homebrew Games that can use this technique. If a MegaDrive Emulator can do such things at Full Speed, what effects could be used in games straight for the GP2X? :)

Manjuu said:
The wavy screen reminds me of Heroes2X (ported by ParkyDR)... which is a Tron-like game. :p

snap3.png

(My only complains for this port was that, the screen wasn't centered and not being able to enter a name.)
I remember this game and it's impressive "SNES Mode Seven" style. I only complained about the wrong aspect ratio of the whole game.

Okay, I think I'm going to cry :( .

It appears I'm jinxed when it come to computers as my PC Died last night - the second one in less than a year :( :( :(

Thankfully after the last time I have been backing up my files regularly so at least I haven't lost all my work (and the HDs themselves appear to be ok anyway), The bad news for me is I have to find the money for a new pc somehow and the bad news for you guys is you will have to wait a bit before I'm up and running again to be able to finish this game off. For the time being I have a very decrepit old pc I've been loaned so I can at least post in the forums (when it feels like booting up that is). :( :(

I'm sorry to hear this Ruckage, it is indeed unlucky... Is the PC that just died still under warranty?

It's good to hear that you have backups of your recent work though :) Good luck sorting this out!

If it comes to dead PC-ies there is my last PC

If something dies - something continues to live.

The snake fed with dead pc-ies is going to be the Cyberdemon

Alex. said:
I'm sorry to hear this Ruckage, it is indeed unlucky... Is the PC that just died still under warranty?
Unfortunately not, I built it myself but although the parts I used were nearly all new I'd had them for a while as they were intended to be used for mame cabinet so the warranty had expired.

Sphinxter said:
What was the chipset? Few spare momboards laying around here that will probably be out of date by the time they get put into use avaliable.
Thanks very much, that's very kind of you but I decided building an entirely new machine would be a better idea as it seemed to die in exactly the same way as my last computer so I have a fear that some of the parts I salvaged are to blame (probably just being paranoid). I've ordered everything I need for my new PC so I should hopefully be up and running again tomorrow - though the novelty of a nice new PC may distract me from coding for a day or two ;)

ruckage said:
Alex. said:
Unfortunately not, I built it myself but although the parts I used were nearly all new I'd had them for a while as they were intended to be used for mame cabinet so the warranty had expired.

Sphinxter said:
What was the chipset? Few spare momboards laying around here that will probably be out of date by the time they get put into use avaliable.
Thanks very much, that's very kind of you but I decided building an entirely new machine would be a better idea as it seemed to die in exactly the same way as my last computer so I have a fear that some of the parts I salvaged are to blame (probably just being paranoid). I've ordered everything I need for my new PC so I should hopefully be up and running again tomorrow - though the novelty of a nice new PC may distract me from coding for a day or two ;)

What'd you get? I'll show you mine... x2 was thinking it's getting a bit dated, I'll be needing a quad with a 9800 gx2 this summer.

Sphinxter said:
What'd you get? I'll show you mine... x2 was thinking it's getting a bit dated, I'll be needing a quad with a 9800 gx2 this summer.

:) if only I had lots of money, Unfortunately as my entire budget was £250 a 9800gx2 is a bit out of my range - though it would be nice. Despite my tight budget my new PC will be miles ahead of my old one though obviously not top spec, which is ok by me as I'm not too bothered about having the latest of everything. This is what I went for in the end:

Case with 500w psu
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
ASUS M2N-SLI nForce 560 SLI Socket mobo
Kingston 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
Seagate ST3160815A 160GB Hard Drive
LG GSA-H55NBAL 20x DVDr+-
Nvidia 7600GS 256MB

The total cost was just under £240 including next day delivery, and I'm pretty sure it's much better than anything you could buy pre-built in that price range

The main thing I'd really like to improve is the graphics card but the 7600gs was very cheap at £27 and hopefully based on the benchmarks I saw on the net it should at least equal my old 6800xt. Knowing how graphics card prices drop I figure I'm better waiting until later in the year to get a high end 7 or 8 series as the prices will have dropped a lot more by then.

ruckage said:
Sphinxter said:

:) if only I had lots of money, Unfortunately as my entire budget was £250 a 9800gx2 is a bit out of my range - though it would be nice. Despite my tight budget my new PC will be miles ahead of my old one though obviously not top spec, which is ok by me as I'm not too bothered about having the latest of everything. This is what I went for in the end:

Case with 500w psu
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
ASUS M2N-SLI nForce 560 SLI Socket mobo
Kingston 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
Seagate ST3160815A 160GB Hard Drive
LG GSA-H55NBAL 20x DVDr+-
Nvidia 7600GS 256MB

The total cost was just under £240 including next day delivery, and I'm pretty sure it's much better than anything you could buy pre-built in that price range

The main thing I'd really like to improve is the graphics card but the 7600gs was very cheap at £27 and hopefully based on the benchmarks I saw on the net it should at least equal my old 6800xt. Knowing how graphics card prices drop I figure I'm better waiting until later in the year to get a high end 7 or 8 series as the prices will have dropped a lot more by then.

Excellent, how are you cooling it, mine stays sub 35c, 32c after a good cleaning but if I don't blow the dust out of the case every month it will overheat and boot at will occasionally. That zalman fruit basket is a real dust magnet too, I wonder if the passive liquid works as well as it should standing on it's head like that. The aluminum case though beautiful and efficient is not as structurally strong as I would have liked, last time I took it in the car to a lecture I had to re-seat the ram to get it going.

Hello, just to let you know I've released v1.0 of SOD. You can read about it and get the download from the release thread here.

Back