Sod - Snake On Dope

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hi everyone, just thought I'd share some screenshots of my latest game.

I wasn't feeling very motivated a few weeks ago so decided I wanted a quick weekend project and decided a nice simple Snake clone would fit the bill - well it ended up taking a lot longer than a weekend and isn't just the the basic snake clone I originally planned. Onto the screenshots........

The title screen. Lets try 'Dope mode'

Look at all the levels!
Only five to pick from at the moment though.

Hmmm, I don't feel anything yet........

Okay, I do now :wacko:

One more random screenshot.

The game is more or less finished, Pat is just writing some songs and once they're added the game will be released, possibly by this weekend.

The screenshots look great, but I'm positive this is something best appreciated live, so add one more chap to the list of 'looking forward to the release' :)

This idea has been done before (like the freeware game Tetanus On Drugs, for example), but never with a Snake game. At any rate this game is going to be a freakin awesome release! :)

Thanks for the replies.

Alex. said:
The screenshots look great, but I'm positive this is something best appreciated live, so add one more chap to the list of 'looking forward to the release' :)

I think it definitely looks better in motion, hard to appreciate the wave effect with a static image. By the way Alex, what happened to Slick? Are you still going to finish it at some point?
Aryn said:
This idea has been done before (like the freeware game Tetanus On Drugs, for example), but never with a Snake game. At any rate this game is going to be a freakin awesome release! :)

Tetanus on Drugs (Lockjaw:the overdose as it's now called) was the main inspiration for the whole 'dope mode' idea. Originally this was just going to be bog standard snake game, it wasn't even going to have lots of maps. The wave idea came up when I was chatting to Quiest on MSN and trying to think of some fancy effects I could add to the game. He showed me a wave demo he did in Fenix which I thought was cool and we then got talking about TOD and i decided that it would be great to do something similar with my snake game so went ahead and wrote my own wave effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruckage said:
I think it definitely looks better in motion, hard to appreciate the wave effect with a static image. By the way Alex, what happened to Slick? Are you still going to finish it at some point?
I decided to release it later as an unlockable in a game I'll make for Pandora. Sqdef, Upskyway, and hopefully work will keep me busy until then ;)

Aryn said:
Originally this was just going to be bog standard snake game, it wasn't even going to have lots of maps. The wave idea came up when I was chatting to Quiest on MSN and trying to think of some fancy effects I could add to the game. He showed me a wave demo he did in Fenix which I thought was cool and we then got talking about TOD and i decided that it would be great to do something similar with my snake game so went ahead and wrote my own wave effect.
I didn't know Fenix could access the screen pixel by pixel, very nice :)

The wavy screen reminds me of Heroes2X (ported by ParkyDR)... which is a Tron-like game. :p

snap3.png

(My only complains for this port was that, the screen wasn't centered and not being able to enter a name.)

Manjuu said:
The wavy screen reminds me of Heroes2X (ported by ParkyDR)... which is a Tron-like game. :p

snap3.png

(My only complains for this port was that, the screen wasn't centered and not being able to enter a name.)
I've played that on the PC, very impressive distortion effects, haven't played it on gp2x, Ill have to give it a go.

yeah similar effect but heroes was quite hard to play with that effect active hopefully this is a little easier on you. anyway looking forward to another quality ruckage production. any chance at a protozoa sequel since that was a free directional snake type game? I'd like to see slick on gp2x but alex is free to do what he wants with his time and has made enough great games anyway.

edit: the topic made me think of the whole "snakes on a .... " thing that snakes on a plane started. do the same for anyone else?

jbrodack said:
edit: the topic made me think of the whole "snakes on a .... " thing that snakes on a plane started. do the same for anyone else?
Heh, conjured up something different for me. Don't know if anyone remembers the band S.O.D. (Stormtroopers Of Death)...

Looks fantastic, and I'm sure it will play likewise! Also very curious what Pat will come up with.

I might not be able to get this released this weekend as I'm adding some extra content - might be ready in time but I can't guarantee it.

b_o_b said:
Looks fantastic, and I'm sure it will play likewise! Also very curious what Pat will come up with.
The music is brilliant, Pat is still busy making more tracks. All I'll say is that most of the songs Pat has made for this aren't original compositions but fit the game perfectly.

Why screenshots in jpg? :D

Looks good, but why outlines black? Maybe do something like this:

192022bigthumbyk0.png

Back