Snake On Dope (sod) V1.1

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hi everyone,

V1.1 is now on the archive, I've fixed a bug with the 'Game completed' code and I've made level C6 significantly easier as before it was way too difficult. Now I've sorted that you have no excuses for not getting at least a bronze medal on every map - and when you do I'm sure you won't be dissapointed ;)

To make sure you don't lose your game position you can just copy the sod folder in the v1.1 zip over your original sod folder and click yes when it asks if you wish to overwrite the files, it won't overwrite any of your save files.
Alternatively you can backup the save files onto your hardrive first, the files can be found in the data directory and are called: hiscores, options and keys. These can then be copied into the data folder of the new version.

Have fun and don't forget to let me know if you beat all the levels.

You can download the updated game from here.

Thanks for the update!

I've come to dish out mad props and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum. I gave a brief indication of my SODding love in the original thread, but after further play I really have to highfive you on several points.

- The interface. I'm on an F200. Touchscreen functionality is always nice, but being forced to use it isn't always great. The way you've done it is perfect. I can flick through the menus with buttons, or a flick of the thumb on the screen, without ever thinking about it. Perfect.

- The comments. I love a game that makes me laugh out loud. I can only imagine the brainstorming session you had coming up with that lot.

- This one's for you Pat. The music is all that, uh-huh. Production, track selection, flow, top notch.

- Lastly, a tiny little thing that I found absolutely delightful. Diagonal snake movement! Weeee!

This game seems to have had some sort of narcotic effect on me.

Just in time, Ruckage! I had C6 and E6 left, though I suppose that's changed now ;) Thanks again for the great game :)

Thanks everyone, glad you're having fun
Gruso said:
Thanks for the update!
Thanks Gruso, nice to know all my work on the interface is appreciated - and really pleased you noticed the diagonal movement, I just thought it would be a nice easy way of doing the stair style movement without having to madly press 2 different directions one after another. I had great fun deciding on all the ingame phrases, I spent several hours searching the net for good stoner sayings and found this great site :)

Alex. said:
Just in time, Ruckage! I had C6 and E6 left, though I suppose that's changed now ;) Thanks again for the great game :)
Hi Alex, based on the sly wink in your reply I guess you've completed it - did you like the surprise :p

Last edited by a moderator:
great game

i have been a fan of snake since it was included on the xm tracker (best version to date for me)

then i played it on my old nokia cellphone

and now on my gp2x, but with a fun twist

congrats on this

This is just a quick post to congratulate ruckage on yet another fabulous game - it really is a classic title!

Diagonal movement?
Wow, I can't believe my partner and I played this ALL DAY yesterday and never noticed!

this is as good as traditional snake gets. i also like the optional touch screen menu. no need to pick up stylus easy to use with fingers. variety of stages is great and looking forward to seeing the "surprise".

not a complaint but id like to see a free form movement snake game on the gp2x. besides protozoa anyway which was great but not full featured like this.

trippy games rock. never tire of them.

ruckage said:
Hi everyone,

V1.1 is now on the archive, I've fixed a bug with the 'Game completed' code and I've made level C6 significantly easier as before it was way too difficult. Now I've sorted that you have no excuses for not getting at least a bronze medal on every map - and when you do I'm sure you won't be dissapointed ;)
C6 and E6 are still a pain in the .. , but I finally finished them to receive my award. I will not give anything away, but I'm not disappointed indeed :)

Thanks again for this fantastic game, it has been a long time since I have been so totally absorbed by a game. Hours of perfect gameplay!

I managed to get bronze before the update in C6 but E6 eh, its still hard, I just need more time!

Damn, this is my favourite GP2X game at the moment. Kudos, Where do I donate?

b_o_b said:
C6 and E6 are still a pain in the .. , but I finally finished them to receive my award. I will not give anything away, but I'm not disappointed indeed :)
Well done :)

yodaofborg said:
I managed to get bronze before the update in C6 but E6 eh, its still hard, I just need more time!

Damn, this is my favourite GP2X game at the moment. Kudos, Where do I donate?
Wow :eek: , you're good. I lost count of the number of times I tried and failed to achieve the goal in C6. I'm sure sure you'll beat E6 soon as although it's tough it's nowhere near as tough as the original C6. If you'd like to donate that would be greatly appreciated, I have a donate button on my website http://www.muddymonkey.co.uk/ (same goes for anyone else feeling generous ;))

Still having great fun playing this game. I have managed to turn 1-30 to silver. Gold is the next target!

I have encountered 2 small problems. I have unlocked all 30 levels (even got a snake master compliment ;) ), so turned all into bronze but still there were 2 levels that didn't seem to have a medal. Redoing these levels 2 gave another victory message, seems the game forgot I already had done those levels.
2nd problem is the touch screen sometimes doesn't work. Doesn't happen a lot, but it happens...

No big issues, doesn't interfere with the gameplay so I will happily keep on playing.

b_o_b said:
Still having great fun playing this game. I have managed to turn 1-30 to silver. Gold is the next target!

I have encountered 2 small problems. I have unlocked all 30 levels (even got a snake master compliment ;) ), so turned all into bronze but still there were 2 levels that didn't seem to have a medal. Redoing these levels 2 gave another victory message, seems the game forgot I already had done those levels.
2nd problem is the touch screen sometimes doesn't work. Doesn't happen a lot, but it happens...

No big issues, doesn't interfere with the gameplay so I will happily keep on playing.
Hi b_o_b,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've had nasty case of tonsillitis so I haven't been on the PC for a whole week.
Thanks for letting me know about the bugs, Alex also PM'd me about the medal bug and I think I've found the problem so I'll get an updated version uploaded soon. Not sure about the touchscreen bug, can you let me know under what circumstances it occurs? Is it menus, ingame or both?

Wayne

ruckage said:
Not sure about the touchscreen bug, can you let me know under what circumstances it occurs? Is it menus, ingame or both?
Wayne
The touch screen bug seems to appear randomly. I haven't payed much attention to it because using the buttons is also very convenient. I've noticed it in the menu and entering hiscores. Could it be tonsillitis?

Now I've gotten around to playing this, too. Ruckage, you have a certain something for making excellent updates of old classics! I put this on the card and started the gp2x "just to try it out", and almost an hour later...huh? I got suckered in by a snake game?!? This is, of course, because it is excellent (just like Ruckman is the only pacman version worth playing from the last 10 years or so)...Brilliant.

The first time I played Snake would have been in the summer of 1982 or -83, on one of these that me dad brought home from work over the summer. Little did he know what he started...:) Apparently, the guy who programmed the snake game for the ABC (although it was called "Masken") claims to have invented it, and was threatening to sue Nokia a while back for having put "his" game on their mobile phones :) That snake looked like this:

ooooooö *

(that is the snake, travelling to the right, about to eat some food)

Wooo...Flashback-to-childhood.

Back