Sod - Snake On Dope

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hi everyone,

My first port to the Caanoo is now available to download from the Archive. I've made some minor changes to the game in this release, I've moved any text that was obscured by the Caanoos bezel and I've improved the wave effect to remove some annoying noise I noticed.

Download

SOD is a basic game of snake - its just this snake likes to indulge in recreational drugs.

Features
-------

30 Levels
2 Game modes
8 great music tracks (Courtesy of Pat Ferguson)
Separate highscore for each map/mode
Several control methods
Adjustable game speed
A few secrets

sodtitle.png
sodselect.png

sod2.png

sod1.png
sod3.png

This game is so much fun! But one thing I noticed is when you put the keyboard in lowercase the 'W' turns to 'u' but other than that thank you so much! :D

@RuppeClock:
What about g-sensor support?
It will be funny to turn the console and see the snake do the same!!

I'd think it'd be cool if there was rumble support, just to add to the trippiness of it all.

Thanks for the replies, have fun playing :)

Chuckowski said:
This game is so much fun! But one thing I noticed is when you put the keyboard in lowercase the 'W' turns to 'u' but other than that thank you so much! :D
Thank's for that, can't believe I never noticed it before. I'll get it fixed for the next update.

Azerty16 said:
@RuppeClock:
What about g-sensor support?
It will be funny to turn the console and see the snake do the same!!
Thanks for the suggestion but I think the g-sensor would be a terrible way to play this type of game. It's best left for games designed with that control method in mind and I'm sure I'll be making some :) .

RupeeClock said:
I'd think it'd be cool if there was rumble support, just to add to the trippiness of it all.
Yeah, absolutely agree but it's not possible with BennuGD at the moment. I think Splinter is adding support for the rumble so as soon as it's working it will be added.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOD was maybe the first Ruckage game I played on WIZ :)
but Caanoo's analogue stick is not as good for this game as the WIZ buttons. maybe increasing the threshold a little bit would help? (it's too easy to set a diagonal direction)

glezmen said:
SOD was maybe the first Ruckage game I played on WIZ :)
but Caanoo's analogue stick is not as good for this game as the WIZ buttons. maybe increasing the threshold a little bit would help? (it's too easy to set a diagonal direction)
That probably wouldn't help much but you do know you can also control the snake with the face buttons (A,B,X,Y) as if it was a dpad and even the shoulder buttons which rotate the snake left and right.
It's all in the readme but I bet most people don't look at that.

you're right, i only had a look at the beginning of the readme, i didn't get to the part about the control buttons, but that sounds very good, thanks!

ruckage, could you test something ?

i ran your sod game as well as monster which both uses bennugd runtime, after i ran either game and then ran alex's "trap75" game, the trap75 control's do not work anymore... yet if i reboot the canoo, run trap75 directly, they do work. At first i thought it might have been a bennugd problem, yet if i run the "eek" game which also uses bennu, it does not happen... maybe something you could test to double check to help pinpoint the problem

It seems to be a bug within Bennu. Someone should let Splinter know.

Congratz on the release Ruckage. And thank you for making this available for the Caanoo. It is a joy to play your games. They are always polished to a shine, and this is one of my favorites. (y)

/Uni

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it and I'm glad you're all enjoying playing the game.

joyrider said:
ruckage, could you test something ?

i ran your sod game as well as monster which both uses bennugd runtime, after i ran either game and then ran alex's "trap75" game, the trap75 control's do not work anymore... yet if i reboot the canoo, run trap75 directly, they do work. At first i thought it might have been a bennugd problem, yet if i run the "eek" game which also uses bennu, it does not happen... maybe something you could test to double check to help pinpoint the problem
Nova said:
It seems to be a bug within Bennu. Someone should let Splinter know.

I've had a word with Splinter and he figured out the problem. It isn't a bug but it is a problem caused by the Bennu games - however it's easily fixed via the launch script so I'll release an update to SOD soon.

I'll try and paraphrase Splinters explanation, basically he said that enviroment vars in caanoo aren't private in a script, they are set globally so after the bennu games finish the system was still using the SDL in the bennu runtime folder. The changes to the script just store the correct location of the system SDL and then restores it when the game exits. The reason Eek didn't cause a problem was because its runtime uses the older SDL which I guess is the same as the one on the system.

ah yeah it's the path part right ? it finds the sdl lib from bennu games first so uses that one, while the non bennu games expect the one from the canoo itselve. So i guess you basically reset (export) path again after the game finishes :)

I can see these kinds of problems popping up later on as well, when someone includes their own libs, change path var and forget to reset it, although maybe it doesn't have such impact... since one (/i) can not seem to compile staticly (cause of libts which has no static lib included only dynamic libs it seems in the toolchain, at least i couldn't find any)

Good the cause is known :)

oh btw, really nice game, i never played on the gp2x, and never had a wiz, but am enjoying it now :) well that and sonic from the game gear, haven't done much anymore since doing the controls lol kept playing sonic and that's no good ;)

Its got to be the best Snake game I have played :) Thanks

And I was wondering why Rhythmos controls were not working lol

Back