SoC: Back and forth!

If Cubieboard really is coming out next month - and that's a huge if - it might be more realistic to buy it instead of the Optimus board. Has anyone tried asking them (Cubieboard) what their expectations are for Linux drivers when they ship?
I'm pretty sure that the AllWinner rep called them a distributor of the Optimus Board in that video I posted. Which means that their board is an Optimus Board.

-God Ginrai

I never said it's absolutely no option, but right now pretty unlikely (would add more than 6 months of development time)

But I'm slightly annyoned by the people who claim that the A80 is absolutely no option like they'd be the ones deciding this alone
Sorry, I'm just going on what I remember EvilDragon saying.
Wrong person bro.

I never said it's absolutely no option, but right now pretty unlikely (would add more than 6 months of development time)
This is a pretty crazy hypothetical, but if another party were willing to try making an adapter board to plug an A80 board to the Pandora's peripheral PCB would you be willing to share the pinout/connector data necessary to do so, and maybe the board itself later on for testing? That way this work could start happening in parallel without disrupting the ongoing development by you and gta04, and later on you could evaluate the feasibility of using an SoC board made with this instead of the TI one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're "lucky" the Keymat and LCD testing will delay Pyra production so much that we have time to make an A80 board ;) .

Or we could make a Special edition with 100 OMAP5 boards to finance the production of the potential final A80 board.

This is a pretty crazy hypothetical, but if another party were willing to try making an adapter board to plug an A80 board to the Pandora's peripheral PCB would you be willing to share the pinout/connector data necessary to do so, and maybe the board itself later on for testing? That way this work could start happening in parallel without disrupting the ongoing development by you and gta04, and later on you could evaluate the feasibility of using an SoC board made with this instead of the TI one.

Yes, of course. We'll open everything up anyways.

In theory, one could create a processor board with just stuff for a controller on it and misuse the main PCB as iCP2 ;)

I guess I should clarify - would you be willing to do all that before Pyra was actually out?

Black is the new white!

In theory, one could create a processor board with just stuff for a controller on it and misuse the main PCB as iCP2 ;)
That sounds like a very neat idea. A combination memory card reader, game controller, USB hub,  keyboard, 3G/wifi/GPS receiver and external battery pack..

Black is the new white!

That sounds like a very neat idea. A combination memory card reader, game controller, USB hub,  keyboard, 3G/wifi/GPS receiver and external battery pack..
+1 remove the screen, fit a cellphone holder attachment into the hinge area where the screen used to be, replace the SoC with a dummy controller board

BOOM, mega  ICP2  ICP3

(BT Keyboard + BT game controller + BT USB Hub + wifi NAS + hotspot + external charger)

the ultimate companion device

Last edited by a moderator:
ED's stated he's designed the lid so that you can access the LCD more easily.   If the Pyra lid is anything like the Pandora one, once you've got the inside off and unclipped the hinge, the back comes off easily, so it would seem (subject to the fact the exact hinge mechanism hasn't been designed yet) that as a side effect he's making it easier to remove the lid entirely, should you want to.

Back