SoC: Back and forth!

I'm Canadian. You have to mortgage your firstborn child for mobile data here)
If you're in any of the major citieswhere Wind mobile operates use them. I have no complaints with service. $45 a month for unlimited everything with the only catch being that you're roaming outside of Wind zones, but I live in Kitchener, work in Waterloo, and occasionally go to Toronto so this isn't a problem for me and if it isn't for you either then you should give them a try. If it won't work for you but you have friends for whom it will I ask that you spread the word because the more customers they steal from Robelus the more likely they are to start pricing things more reasonably as well.
I have heard of Wind mobile, but I'm about 1.5 hours north of Toronto in a little 300 pop. nowhere. It's pure luck that I get 5Mbit/800Kbit DSL. Besides, I wouldn't use it enough to justify $45/month when I think long and hard before shelling out $40/year for a VPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use it enough to justify $45/month
That's fair enough. Compared to Rogers and Bell it's a steal, but only if you do regularly use data. Which I do, and would do if the Pyra has a compatible 3G option.

(I have never heared of an open source graphics driver that is better than the official one).
The radeon driver actually already hit that goal, the slightly older OpenGL 2.1 cards are indeed faster with several games and even the earlier HD cards are getting close to that ( => Phoronix). Not to mention that the proprietary driver is legendary for its issues while the free driver has an incredibly stable development history - getting the driver directly from git as cutting edge hardly causes any problems (if the card it is used with is already somewhat well supported, of course).However, it already passed a long way. The dozens of documents and gifted code packages from AMD took ages to pass legal review, hardly anyone would be willing to spend that much ressources for that.

oops I ordered the EVM board while I was on the page..  not going to see if it blends

The TI site says:

Multicore ARM® Cortex™ processors

• Two ARM Cortex-A15 MPCore processors capable of speeds up to 1.5 GHz each
So did the Omap EVM on FOSDEM run at 1.5 or 1.7 GHz?
That's a good question.. if 1.5 then awesome! we can expect better of the 1.7Ghz model..

Edit2: Well looks the omap5432 data sheet claims up to speeds of 1.7Ghz my guess default is 1.5Ghz.. kind of like how the OMAP3 in the CC and Rebirth units default to 500Mhz and claim up to speeds of 700Mhz even though most people clock them at 800mhz - 1Ghz easily..
IMHO, the EVM has an "older" cpu revision.

Also, the demoed Pyra isn't an EVM, it's a prototype.

IMHO, the EVM have an "older" cpu revision.

Also, the demoed Pyra isn't an EVM, it's a prototype.
Actually, the SoC was on the EVM, and the EVM was wired to the prototype Pyra PCB. gta04 said himself that the next step was moving those parts that were existing on the EVM onto the PCB itself.

And the first pics from the Devkit..

Buy the way: is this allready a Pyra Prototype Board, or just a Devboard from TI whit the Omap??
It is currently both - a Pyra Prototype Board connected to a TI Devboard. The next (and most challenging part) will be to integrate parts of the Devboard (i.e. OMAP5, Memory etc.) onto the Pyra Board. This means reducing the current total size (both connected parts) to <50%. But we have a lot of experience with the GTA04 project where space was 100% given and limited. And we did finally squeeze in a lot of things. It is like solving a puzzle or playing tetris with components and wires :)
-God Ginrai

Maybe those Qualcomm SoC are an option after all?

The open source graphics driver for those SoC (which even supports full OpenGL) is a huge plus, IMO.

Maybe those Qualcomm SoC are an option after all?

The open source graphics driver for those SoC (which even supports full OpenGL) is a huge plus, IMO.
Well EvilDragon would still need to be in the loop on this.. not to mention one qualcomm employee's claims may not be worth anything.

You never know if his claims are worth anything, until you get in touch. He said he can point him to the right contacts, which might be all that is needed.

It seems that the gta04 guy is pretty much focused on the OMAP5, which could be a problem, but it does not look like they have already finished their board layout with the OMAP, so it might still be doable. From the "openness" and technical standpoints, Qualcomm would be the better choice.

If Qualcomm can deliver us what we need (datasheet, the SoC, Linux Drivers, etc.), then we can still switch to Qualcomm, yes.

The SoC will be the last thing to transplant onto our PCB this time, so it would not even throw us back.

It seems that the gta04 guy is pretty much focused on the OMAP5, which could be a problem
That GTA04 guy is Nikolaus, the board designer.

Of course he's focused on the OMAP 5 as it's the only option for now.

I've met him several times now and he's a really friendly and kind person.

He will be the last one who will be a problem.

He's the one making everything working for us :) .

Qualcom did contact ekianjo??

Awesome.

So will the Snapdragon 805 be an option for us then?

That would be so awesome.

^seems like ekianjo already established contact with someone from the San Diego headquarters 12 hours ago ; )

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7182153

Edit: Looks like all Snapdragons have integrated GPS. I'm a little concerned about possible "mischievous behaviour" o_O 

If its going to be Qualcomm please dont take the full package with integrated 3G.

It seems that the gta04 guy is pretty much focused on the OMAP5, which could be a problem

I didn't mean to say he wasn't friendly or anything. It is not for me to say, I haven't even met him. All I was trying to say is, that it looks like (from his previous projects and posts on the forums), that he is pretty familiar with those OMAPs and he might be pushing into the OMAP direction or at least favoring it over other SoC. I was just guessing that it might be the case. From what ED says, it looks my guess was wrong after all.

Anyway, nice to see the team is willing to use other SoC. So it is up to Qualcomm to decide if they are willing to sell them some. :)

I didn't mean to say he wasn't friendly or anything. It is not for me to say, I haven't even met him. All I was trying to say is, that it looks like (from his previous projects and posts on the forums), that he is pretty familiar with those OMAPs and he might be pushing into the OMAP direction or at least favoring it over other SoC. I was just guessing that it might be the case. From what ED says, it looks my guess was wrong after all.
I know you didn't want to be rude against GTA04 (and you were not).

I don't know Michael Weston but my impresion I got from GTA04 is that he's one of the best we could get in the team :) .

Anyway, nice to see the team is willing to use other SoC. So it is up to Qualcomm to decide if they are willing to sell them some. :)
According to some internet articles there will be some products using the Snapdragon 805 out middle 2014.

Ev en if it might delay development for 2 Months ;) I think it's worth it to wait to get that awesome beast.

It's somehow weird that so many companys act like they don't want to make profit. What stops them to sell small batches of their hardware, they make profit with this too. 100k $ may be not hundred million $ but still 100k $ so actualy every chip company should be happy to sell their hardware to everyone.

But this new possibility with the Snapdragon sounds interesting. What kind of chipset would fit for the Pyra? They have various ones but I have no infos about battery drainage:

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/800-600-400-200/specs

Its not so much about profit, but enormous mindshare, also, free patches galore.

Without the integrated 3g modem qualcomm is a viable option, gps being a non-starter isnt huge, and http://freedreno.github.io/ is supernice.

I wonder if freescale got something for MWC 2014 late feb in barcelona, but doensnt look like it.

Back