So What Do People Usually Do With Their Gp2x?

mdinire

I ordered mine on Friday from Play-Asia.com and im curious to see what people do with their gp2x, im guessing most people buy it for portable emulation, if so what games do you spend the most time playing. I'm interested to know if these games are playable at the moment; SMW (SNES), Mario Kary (SNES) and any Metal Slug game and if not what games should I be playing when I get my GP2X? :p

Super Mario World works fullspeed. Super Mario Kart runs half speed if you overclock and put the sound off. The metal slug's run all pretty good, some minor slowdowns.

I usually play Lemmings ( SNES, fullspeed ), some NeoGeo games ( all very close to fullspeed ), Nethack, Poker ;), Rockstar ate my hamster ( Atari-ST, fullspeed ), Tilematch, Spout, Noiz2sa, some Sonic games ( Megadrive, fullspeed ), Neo Geo Pocket ( fullspeed ), Sensible Soccer ( megadrive, fullspeed with minor graphic failures ), all the Super Mario series ( all fullspeed ) and many others :)

Thanks for the quik reply.. i forgot about Sensible Soccer :)

And sorry for the N00b Q but how do I go about "over clocking" a gp2x, iv heard a bit about it

I usually drop it. Only just caught it before it hit the floor today XD

Anyway, I actually play alot of poker :| *sucks up to daven*, some SMW, nethack, lots of stuff on snes and MD emus. Most of my time is spent reading forums, really :p
Used to play lots of neo turf masters on neogeo, lol.

EDIT: Oh, and some pokemon crystal. Slap me.

Some applications have inbuilt overclocking, but theres also the cpu_speed program thing.

Super Mario Kart runs for me with sound on about 70% speed with 266mhz overclocked o_O

Usually i play snes games on squidgesnes (just played through seiken densetsu 3), sega genesis with drmd, gameboy color games (mario tennis for life!), neogeo games with gngeo, ...., homebrew games (the minigames collection rox!) etc.

other then that i luv to see movies, to play around with psx4all or try out special programs like QTopia or GPE.

mdinire posted on Jul 30 2006 at 03:46 PM said:

And sorry for the N00b Q but how do I go about "over clocking" a gp2x, iv heard a bit about it

Overclocking basically is pretty easy, most of the emulators have an option to select on how many mhz you'd like to run your gp2x. For others ( like squidgesnes ) you'll have to write a script. Do a short search for snes and overclocking here and you'll find multiple topics which contain more information about that.

Edit: 70% on 266mhz with sound? *slaps himself* I haven't tried smk on the newest version since it ran to slow on the older one..

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveN posted on Jul 30 2006 at 03:51 PM said:
mdinire posted on Jul 30 2006 at 03:46 PM said:

Overclocking basically is pretty easy, most of the emulators have an option to select on how many mhz you'd like to run your gp2x. For others ( like squidgesnes ) you'll have to write a script. Do a short search for snes and overclocking here and you'll find multiple topics which contain more information about that.

Edit: 70% on 266mhz with sound? *slaps himself* I haven't tried smk on the newest version since it ran to slow on the older one..

yep, thanks to the awesome MMU hack :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone just about all my Qs about the GP2x have been answered directly or indirectly :)

I'm trying to do the gaming equivilent of being 'well read'... so I'm trying to complete all the classics. So far I've done Mario 1,2 and 3 (NES), Sonic 2 and 3 (Megadrive), Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy (Spectrum), and I'm currently working on Metal Gear and Zelda 1 (NES).

Play games
Occasionally watch a film
Door-stop
Paper weight

List goes on ;-)

I play alot of the homebrew games. The SNES (squidge) is great for classic rpg's and mario favirotes. I play Sonic most the time on DrMD, and just random games on the NES.
I'm going to wait for the GBA emulator to come out (if it does) to start GB,GBC etc. games. Last I knew none of the current emulators (GB, GBC) offer save states, but I haven't checked into it in awhile.

It's great for watching movies if your on a car trip. A 700 mb avi file can be converted down to 240mb if you convert it into the 320x240 format. OF course you don't have to since it will auto fit.

I don't usually listen to music on it, the music player isn't too great, the different EQ's kinda suck

GP2X all the way! :D (Don't buy a PSP or even a DS, unless you really want just shiny graphics)

I use mine for emulation, homebrew, and ebooks.

Homebrew:
noiz2sa is a fantastic shooter
Vektar, the homebrew one, is great as well.
Both of these are a must have on your SD card IMO.
I am slowly working my way through what is available.

Emulation:
Neo Geo with the gngeo2x is great for full speed with sound all of my favorites in my hand Neo Geo games! I have almost 50 games running and I'm enjoying every minute of it! I am clocking it at 266 mhz.
Genesis with the DrMDx is great!!
Hu6280 is my Turbo Grafx/PC Engine emu of choice. My favorite system by the way.
I run SMW on snesgp2x.

ebooks:
I have the collected works of “Doc Savage” on cd that I got off of ebay. Very good scifi-adventure stories from the 1940s. There are about 200 books, I think. I used to have some of the paperbacks years ago that I picked up in a used book store. I just change them to text and put them on my SD card. I have one on my card that I am reading now.

Since I got my GP2X around the 4th of July, I have done all of my gaming on this thing! I have not been able to pick anything else up since. :D

I'm pretty lucky now but wasn't when I was growing up.

I never owned consoles as I was growing up (except a couple of handhelds) & only got to play them at my friends house's. We also didn't have any good arcarde's with the newest games either :angry:
I'm now going back & playing through all the games that I missed out on in the old days, starting from the first game of the more popular series (mario,metal slug, sonic etc.) & working my way through them in order.

I'm also trying out the homebrew games (which I've loved so far), reading the graphic novels, watching all the good DVD's that I could never be bothered to re-encode, so that I could watch them on my big TV & starting to use the 2X for reading ebook's/PDF's/tutorials for programming.

It's all good :D

I watch a lot of movies and tv shows on mine. It's my mp3 player, too. With a couple of adapters I can hook it to any device, friends entertainment center for some video, or my car stereo for some music.

I play games, too. ;)

Besides what others have mentioned, I use my 2X as a cheap (and space efficient) alternative to a stereo. I just plugged in a pair of decent PC speakers I had lying around and *voila* instant disco in the bedroom. B)

Back