So What About A Manual Pdf?

Peter R said:
Paradox said:
Nova said:
I loved the GP32 manual. It had little pearls of wisdom like not to put your SMC in the fridge. And to back up the point there was a cartoon of a sad SMC shivering.

Or something like that.

haha would like to see a scan of that
If I could be bothered to dig to the bottom of my bedroom cupboard I could probably find this. Was it in the NLU/FLU manuals or the BLU ones?

Same, haha. It's the NLU/FLU but the BLU one may be the same, I have no idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott Rusoff said:
I would like to write the manual.
You should get in touch with Jeff, then:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50958-what-to-put-in-online-manual/

I'm doing a Quick Start Guide, yes, that helps you with the basic usage.
No sense in making a printed OS guide, as it will probably change monthly with updates and additions ;)

Therefore, a Wiki or an online PDF would be great :)

I don't really have the time at all for doing more than a quick start guide, but I'll be willing to review and help out anybody who wants to write a manual :)
I know the system quite well ;)

EvilDragon said:
I'm doing a Quick Start Guide, yes, that helps you with the basic usage.
No sense in making a printed OS guide, as it will probably change monthly with updates and additions ;)

Therefore, a Wiki or an online PDF would be great :)

I don't really have the time at all for doing more than a quick start guide, but I'll be willing to review and help out anybody who wants to write a manual :)
I know the system quite well ;)
I'l try to make something nice with openoffice:)
I already have some nice ideas. But i could use your help with what text a manual MUST contain for regulations. Like the pre-cautions about the battery and stuff like that.

I've not actually started anything myself, my head is stuck in the firmware .. so take my thread and pick up the bullet points for things to fill in :) It is actually much more work to do a good manual than anyone thinks -- writing a crappy one is a bit of work, but writing a decent one is work.. but writing a good friendly one that covers all the bases, is actually a huge job. You can never underestimate the questions people will have -- but thankfully, at least for the first batches, its mostly people around here who should only need some of the basics and then can come here for the rest :)

Feel free to send questions to me for filling in .. ie: how pnds work and all that, from a user perspective, and you can stick that in any doc you write up :)

I really think we should at least have an online basic guide with suggestions on charging and such .. helps with folks comfort zone after laying out the big money, and not everyone is an expert (nor should be); but we also as Craig notes don't need to spill the OS internals or like on anyone .. the minutia is mostly pretty obvious.

For my part .. put pnd files in /pandora/menu or /pandora/desktop (or /pandora/apps for desktop + pmenu) and uh, you're done ;) Oh, and you can just browse around your filesystems and run pnd files by double tapping them if you want to organize them yourself. And use the bottomleft Start-like menu. There, you're covered ;) Now jus tneed pmenu screenshot and a screnie of the Desktop and you've got half your meat :)

I'd suggest putting it in a group workspace (be it wiki or whatever), or at least coordinating.. it would be a shame for 3 people to start working on something and step on each others toes :(

jeff

borgqueenx said:
Tensuke said:
Cool, im also using a bit copy and pasting of your work. after all, its open source. I just had some visitors here and im working on the manual right now.
Why not use the wiki first to "finish" the manual, and THEN we can use e.g. LyX to generate a *nice* PDF out of it.

dflemstr said:
borgqueenx said:
Tensuke said:
Cool, im also using a bit copy and pasting of your work. after all, its open source. I just had some visitors here and im working on the manual right now.
Why not use the wiki first to "finish" the manual, and THEN we can use e.g. LyX to generate a *nice* PDF out of it.
Because that would be smart. :rolleyes:

Tensuke said:
dflemstr said:
borgqueenx said:
Tensuke said:
Because that would be smart. :rolleyes:
Good idea, lol.

Anyways i saw this post when i wanted to post the file. So here is some WIP:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmzztytwnzt

Copy and paste it into the wiki:)

borgqueenx said:
Good idea, lol.

Anyways i saw this post when i wanted to post the file. So here is some WIP:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmzztytwnzt

Copy and paste it into the wiki:)
Wow, you created a table of contents, *manually*? You must be insane!

Anyways, I'll copy over the safety information with some minor changes; that stuff just *has* to be included :p

...and I don't think images are necessary, so we can skip those methinks.

No images? The first thing, after warnings, that every console manual has is a greyscale picture of the product and arrows or numbers to all buttons and such

borgqueenx said:
shall we make the manual some more proffesional? Some humour included on that wiki page...That'l be good for a future page, but lets be serious in the manual shall we?
Everything I've written has been serious... just sayin'

I'm currently creating a script that will take the wiki and make a PDF out of it with the help of LyX. "fi" to "fi" ligature converters are important, y'know!

Back