So What About A Manual Pdf?

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
Since the pandora is close to release, and i heard every pandora comes with a manual(required by some regulations) can we have the pdf file of the manual already?
Would be nice to read the pandora, stylus and its battery are not for consumption and stuff like that. Also curious if it will contain photos and maby other funny stuff to see and read...

There is no manual that I'm aware of.

Shall I just write one in here for you?

Shall we all make the manual here? Nice and friendly and fun.

Go...

i bet we could!

it should be like a really old 70s and 80s paper manual. like youd get with old cartridge games.

im thinking really posterised slightly shitty images, fairly rough drawings and very dated fonts

*grabs some old genesis manuals*

Skeezix asked for feedback here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50958-what-to-put-in-online-manual/

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many people would really read a manual anyway? To me, it seems pointless because so much will keep changing. I'll definitely be looking for information when I get my Pandora. But I'll start here and most likely won't have much trouble getting the answer. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near that much help from a manual.

edit - I mean a printed manual. An online one is a much better idea.

i think the really basic stuff needs to be covered. any warnings, the basics of the device and the ports and what you can plug into it, turning it on and setting up the wifi, and possibly some stuff about the pnd format. so long as it can be linked up online to get at the in depth details it should be fine.

really though, those kinds of manuals are just for complete beginners and children, much like old console manuals. just info on how to plug it all in and get it going. the kinds of things i will struggle with are general linux things which i'll find online, and any in depth pnd packaging and file conversion things (which if i am honest i doubt i will end up doing much anyway). it kinda sucks admitting to basically being a leech on the community, but i just dont have much i can give back to it right now!

The one-page printed manual should read "If you require a manual, please place Pandora back in box and return to address below. Did you know that Wal-Mart sells iPods now?"

meh, i know its always going to be a fairly niche device, but it shouldnt be excluding of a less geeky caste of people. its open to all really and people shouldnt be discouraged. if i had kids (perish the thought) i would love for them to grow up with a pandora

I would suggest you put all the health warnings and such in the manual too, like you see in the first few pages of a game manual. Like epilepsy warnings and such. Just to make sure nobody tries to sue you for not warning them about it.

Maybe also some funny friendly ones that Nintendo did for their Japanese manuals :D

Tensuke said:
I thought ED was working on a manual...
I remember something like that, I don't have a quote at hand, though.

I think we should do it airline safety style.

pandoramanual.png

Tensuke said:
I thought ED was working on a manual...
Indeed. We even got to see some warning labels from it a long time ago.

I think there should at least be a little slip of paper inside each Pandora shipped that gives people the URL of where the official manual can be downloaded. As people have said, it should just cover the basics, and protect against any liability issues.

Some places require a physical manual for electronics, from what I've been told.
Even if they don't, it's still a good idea to include a couple of pages with things like what should be in the box, a disclaimer about the warranty and what EXACTLY will void it, how the power switch operates (seriously, like is it switch once for power on, switch again for standby, hold for 4 seconds to power down? or hit it twice for standby? or...? ) or other standard features (some of us have never used a Compose key, no harm in doing a short write up on that).
A printed URL for where to get an OS image and step by step instructions on how to create a recovery SD card is probably also a good idea.
A printed URL for the appstore couldn't hurt, and maybe a list of recommended softwares. Simple things that aren't likely to go out of date, like Abiword and the gimp.
I'd say a simple troubleshooting guide, but I don't think that anything that goes wrong can be easily solved. If turning it off and on again doesn't fix it, and reinstalling the OS doesn't fix it, then there's probably not much more you can do.

craigix said:
There is no manual that I'm aware of.

MWeston said:
An operations manual is required for FCC testing so we will definitely be making one.

EvilDragon said:
5000 booklets with 8 pages do cost approximately 400 EUR and can be printed within one week ;)

manualorder.jpg

mali said:
A manual is required by European law. So better create one ;)

Here is your bloody manual:

Open box.

Put battery in back of Pandora.

The Pandora will turn itself on. You could also plug it in if you want to.

Follow on screen instructions.

To turn the Pandora off just slide the switch for a few seconds, or remove the battery.

If you don't know what you are doing, see forum here: gp32x.de. Be polite, or they will bite.

If you have a problem please explain it well, follow steps provided online. Ask on forum again if you are still confused.

If you still don't know what you are doing, or decide the best course of action is to be ridiculous on the forum, for Christ's sake... Just return it or put it on ebay.

The End.

Back