So Was The New Case Sent? Where Are The Factory Photos?

I should never have given mali that emoticon link
emo.gif

DroneB Dev said:
and will it be translated? i mean i want to translate it into spanish

ED ....If you need ...i could try to translate in Italian.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll attempt not make this a long post. I would have posted yesterday but I was out taking in some air.

Having absorbed information from the forum/PandoraPress, I think the OP team have made a good call with the Chinese firm.
I also think that the OP team have also, quite recently, realised that they are not Chinese. (Keyword: Soon)

As Sod, Murphy and Pandora are all cousins, I think it is most probable that the Chinese New Year will get in the way.
Believe this, accept this and if it doesn't then you'll be happy.

Does anyone know the impact of the CNY? How long would the factory be shut-down?

Sorry no funny wee iconic animations.

For the Original Poster. The easiest way to avoid the rather touchy forum clientèle and keep up-to-date with minimal effort, is to subscribe to the RSS feed of the Pandora Press. These Digested Gems of Information are promptly reported and rather amusing. Do it or next time I'll flame you too. :D

Nation.A.List said:
WizardStan said:
I respectfully disagree. If the OS is done right (and from the videos we've seen, I'm pretty sure it has been) then no one should ever need any "Linux" help, unless they're trying to get into the guts of the system: a poweruser wannabe, as it were. But for the average user that just wants to play some games, surf the web, watch a movie, it's all simple. Linux has this stigma of not being user friendly that really needs to go away.
Unless synaptic is installed, actions like amending the repositories still makes Linux uncomfortable for many, that's even if they get the idea of repositories.

Does that mean we are using repos? I was thinking we would just download the pnds from some website like gp32x and put em on our sd cards! Much easier in my opinion than setting up some complicated repo!

Esn said:
Dead1nside said:
Fatih is a Turkish male name.
Faith is an English female name.

That is all.

I thought it was weird, for a guy to be called Faith, but I thought it was his handle or something. Everytime I've read it my brain's done that thing where you see the first and last letter and just match it. So I apologise for any offence caused, no malice intended Fatih.

how are repositories complicated?

actually they are similar to the app box concept offering updates as well.

and they don't exclude the possibility of installing software by other means.

actually chinese do use Faith and Fatih as names too, and i know some Male Faith, and Female Fatih

thats due to the transliteration of names, so thats why i thought "Fatih" was one that i know.

Willrandship said:
Nation.A.List said:
WizardStan said:
I respectfully disagree. If the OS is done right (and from the videos we've seen, I'm pretty sure it has been) then no one should ever need any "Linux" help, unless they're trying to get into the guts of the system: a poweruser wannabe, as it were. But for the average user that just wants to play some games, surf the web, watch a movie, it's all simple. Linux has this stigma of not being user friendly that really needs to go away.
Unless synaptic is installed, actions like amending the repositories still makes Linux uncomfortable for many, that's even if they get the idea of repositories.

Does that mean we are using repos? I was thinking we would just download the pnds from some website like gp32x and put em on our sd cards! Much easier in my opinion than setting up some complicated repo!
Both.

Repos will be used for updating the OS level stuff on the NAND. PNDs for everything else. Fear not, no "complicated" stuff here though. The firmware update repo will be setup in the base image and you won't have to even think about it being there. It will just notify you when updates are available and ask for your permission to install them.

Also, repos are less complicated than the average Windows "download and install" procedure, not more complicated.

Willrandship said:
Nation.A.List said:
WizardStan said:

There's the Armstrong repository that already exists from which we should be able to install a lot of things, but it's my belief that doing so will not be the norm. You could install an app from the repository, but then it gets installed to the NAND. Better to download it from the PND store and just copy it to the SD card. I'm certain that someone will also write an app which downloads from the repository and wraps it up in a PND file for the occasions when what you want isn't already one.

mindlord said:
Repos will be used for updating the OS level stuff on the NAND. PNDs for everything else. Fear not, no "complicated" stuff here though. The firmware update repo will be setup in the base image and you won't have to even think about it being there. It will just notify you when updates are available and ask for your permission to install them.

Also, repos are less complicated than the average Windows "download and install" procedure, not more complicated.

Just look at maemo, they have a nice update manager that checks by default a few "mainstream" repo's, it uses a little icon to say that are updates (also for non-nokia applications who are in those repo's) and then you open the gui, decide or not to install it, done.

The only thing one can comment on is sometimes the descriptions of some apps are a but "vague" but that's not a fault of meamo itself, just a consequence of people adding stuff without a decent description, and mainly found in the "extra" repos you can add :)

IT's really a nice system and especially easy to keep things up to date.
no 25 different update managers/processes running like on a lot of windows installs, one for google stuf, one for java, one for xxxx, just one process that checks once in a while if there is something new for everything you have installed.
Lovely.

WizardStan said:
There's the Armstrong repository that already exists from which we should be able to install a lot of things, but it's my belief that doing so will not be the norm. You could install an app from the repository, but then it gets installed to the NAND. Better to download it from the PND store and just copy it to the SD card. I'm certain that someone will also write an app which downloads from the repository and wraps it up in a PND file for the occasions when what you want isn't already one.
I seriously doubt there will be much room left on the NAND to install anything heavier than some simple command line tools. I was talking to DJWillis on IRC awhile back and he said feature creep had already set in and the image had already grown too big for its britches. Some things undoubtably will need to be trimmed out just to make the image fit on the NAND. This was some time ago, and DJWillis has ceratainly remedied the situation. PND conversion will be a necessity, not an option I believe.

Farox said:
DroneB Dev said:
and will it be translated? i mean i want to translate it into spanish

ED ....If you need ...i could try to translate in Italian.... :)

Don't worry, once done (I'll do it in Scribus), I'll release the source so that anyone can translate it and put it online :)

Last edited:
Ångström.

ISO-8859-1/15 (ASCII extension, no Unicode required)

Armstrong :lol:

BTW, it's spelled roughly as "Ohngstroem".

lulzfish said:
Angstrom.
There's also some Unicode accents I don't have in there, but it's certainly not Armstrong.
dang it, I know this. I'm sick, leave me alone :(

mindlord said:
I seriously doubt there will be much room left on the NAND to install anything heavier than some simple command line tools. I was talking to DJWillis on IRC awhile back and he said feature creep had already set in and the image had already grown too big for its britches. Some things undoubtably will need to be trimmed out just to make the image fit on the NAND. This was some time ago, and DJWillis has ceratainly remedied the situation. PND conversion will be a necessity, not an option I believe.

That would surprise me; there's half a gig of nand flash in there, which is a stonking great amount of room if you exercise a little care. Of course, you'll still hit it pretty easily if you just go nuts installing any old thing - certain packages are quite large.

pelrun said:
That would surprise me; there's half a gig of nand flash in there, which is a stonking great amount of room if you exercise a little care. Of course, you'll still hit it pretty easily if you just go nuts installing any old thing - certain packages are quite large.
I'm not so sure. I don't have a lot installed on my BeagleBoard, but it's still using almost 700 megs. Python is 22MB, MPlayer is 8, perl is 8, Firefox is 30, Gimp is 9, Vim is 8... and that's just a cursory glance. It can add up pretty quickly. There's 236M in my /usr/lib directory alone.

Back