So How Many Gigs Of Memory You Geting?

regarding the USB drive with the popups... that is a U3 drive and effectively roots your system by emulating a CD drive which autorun on... thing is you can't turn off autorun for drives that don't exist and the USB drive doesn't exist to the computer untill you plug it in ....quite a severe OS security flaw they have there...

oh almost fogot... when a cd is autorun it has full admin privileges even on a locked down system.....

Am I going to save any battery life by using SDhc instead of a usb drive? I prefer to get a usb drive since I feel safer with the physical durability and less likely losing it.

I buy one SDHC 16GB, class 6. It coast 39,6 € (excl. VAT). Than I wait for better prices and capacities. I like to buy 32GB or 64GB cards, but they are too expensive yet.

thing is you can't turn off autorun for drives that don't exist and the USB drive doesn't exist to the computer untill you plug it in

Yes you can - at least in XP it's easy to do so - use tweakUI and you can control autoplay for all drives; i always turn it off on any new build. I'm pretty sure the same could be done in Vista as well, not so sure about other OSes tho.

2*16GB seems to be enough for most of my emu stuff :) That are a lot of Amiga disks and a lot more C64 disks :D

My question to people with huge music libraries:

1. Are you ever going to listen to more than 5% of the songs, without using shuffle?

2. Can you really tell the difference between a 256kbps Vorbis file and a FLAC?

atomicthumbs said:
1. Are you ever going to listen to more than 5% of the songs, without using shuffle?
Perhaps not, but that's why I shuffle on album. Then I get about 10 songs of the same style, and listen to a broader variety of my collection. I just wish I had a fast-forward button to skip past the entire album, for those times I'm not in the mood for what comes up.

I'd like to get a 32gb card, but the price point isn't so fantastic for the brands I trust (Kingston, Sony). I'll try to live with my 2gb cards until 16 or 32 comes down a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:

It's one of those laws of the universe. Whenever you select parts of a music collection to take with you, you want to listen to that which you omitted.

This is iterative. When you swap the music over, you want to listen to what you have just deleted off.

The other law is that no matter what size card is affordable, your music collection is 50% larger than that capacity.

atomicthumbs said:

i have over seven thousand songs, i never use shuffle for the entire library, only specific albums and artists, and I only have 3 songs that haven't been played.
and, yes, i can tell the difference. 320 and flac, not so much, but 256 is noticeable, especially when you have production quality headphones & monitors (speakers)

CronoTriggerfan said:
I'm getting 32 gigs in the form of a couple 16 gig SDHC cards. :D
Ditto. Probably more aswell if they are cheap at some point.

The straight 32GB's are a bit on the pricey side right now, but just like every other memory card they'll drop as they become more mainstream.

For those in the UK, best deal I've found for 16GB cards is here. 16GB own-brand Class 6 SDHC from mymemory for £24.99 delivered. They also take clickthrough cashback from sites like quidco so can knock a bit more off the price. I believe they do ship to some locations outside the UK but I'm not sure how the prices compare with the current exchange rate.

atomicthumbs said:
Through the headphone out of a portable, with clip ons or earbuds, not really. With my DAC, headphone amp and good headphones, I can, with a direct comparison, tell the difference between resampled and non resampled flac playback.

Initially, I'll get a pair of 16 gig cards, adding a 32 gig when the space/price ratio is equal to that of 16 gig cards. If cost weren't an object, an external 240 GB 1.8" HDD, clipped to the bottom of the pandora, would be pretty cool.

Back